2»

Re: **UO Thursday**

• imagePrimRoseMama:
    imageErinm278:
    imageetoille:
    imagemaryannespier:
    imageErinm278:

I've got a few today:

1. I don't like mohawks on babies/small children.  I also don't agree with allowing our child to dye their hair crazy colors.

2. I think video games are a waste of time and brain power.

3. Pizza is over rated.

Check out Jane McGonigal.  She's done some really awesome research that shows that gaming can actually be an incredibly positive force in someone's life.  https://janemcgonigal.com/

BTDT - you're wasting your time. Think of this particular situation like the bubble Maher references. Facts are irrelevant.

I don't appreciate you implying that I live in a bubble. I'm not an idiot and I think you are very presumptious.

Erin, I am curious as to how you feel about video games as a training tool? For example, many medical schools are using them to help with anatomy. Same with the military, they are programming virtual reality type situations so that they can practice combat as realistically as possible.

Also, how do you feel about programs like leap frog and the like?

Is it just video games or computer games too?
    Could you elaborate?

I think there is a big diffierence between training games for military and medicine and other games. I think those games serve a purpose and are helpful. 

I don't have a problem with leap frog and other learning games.

My issue is with the games with all the killing and whatnot that don't have a purpose.  I just think a kid's play time is better spent outside with friends than with a video game.

Baby girl #1 7/11/13

Baby girl #2 4/30/15

Baby Boy Due 2/16/19!

• etoille- I do not wish to get into an arguement with you over this.  We will simply never agree.  Furthermore, I think you are acting childish.

If you read what I said back in this UO post..I am open to reading the research that the PP offered on the topic, but my opinion on video games that don't have a purpose is made up.

As I replied to Prim- My thought is that a child's play time is better spent outside in nature with human children like them.  Not in front of a simulated world.

Baby girl #1 7/11/13

Baby girl #2 4/30/15

Baby Boy Due 2/16/19!

• Loading the player...
  • I don't understand ppl that buy expensive clothing for their babies, they're going to grow fast and they don't give an efff crap about what they're wearing. Buying expensive gear, crib sheets, and other appliances makes sense because you may have more than one and babies can actually wear them off, but a pair of Lacoste shoes that s/he can't even walk on???
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Surprise BFP on 11/02/12 EDD 07/06/13 --> Express wedding on 12/29/2012 --> G was born on 07/15/13
    *Multicultural family raising a multilingual toddler: Spanish, Italian, Dutch and English

• I think the bigger UO is when someone loves video games. I love them. I was planning on using part of my day off today to go play Borderlands 2. 

My other UO: I think ketchup is the perfect condiment.  

BFP # 1 11/2011, MC 12/2011 
    BFP #2 11/2012, Delivered at 21 weeks on 3/16/13 due to complications with bilateral renal agenesis. 
    ~~Missing Astrid Lynne~~
    BFP#3: 09/2013, EDD 5/14/14

Lilypie - (9zLl)
  • ***snip quote tree***
    imageErinm278:
    I think there is a big diffierence between training games for military and medicine and other games. I think those games serve a purpose and are helpful. 

My issue is with the games with all the killing and whatnot that don't have a purpose.  I just think a kid's play time is better spent outside with friends than with a video game.

I believe balance is key here.

Different kids learn different ways. Some can do both and do wonderfully. My brother LOVES video games. In fact, he works for a video game programming company and loves it. He is also very active outdoors and with martial arts. When he was younger he loved RPG's and Yoshi. We spent plenty of time outside and he was still able to enjoy his video games.

Do you feel the same way about a kid who loves to read? I used to spend many summers up in my room reading because I loved it. I'm still sitting on my bum instead of outside. The only difference is that I was reading. Do you think my time was better spent outdoors too? I'm not trying to be a b*tch and grill you. I just wonder why you believe its ok to tell a kid how their time should be spent if they enjoy an activity.

I am with you that they shouldn't be plugged in all day and play in moderation. However, if it is something that brings them pleasure and they don't take it to extremes why is it an issue?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imagePrimRoseMama:
    ***snip quote tree***
    imageErinm278:

I believe balance is key here.

Different kids learn different ways. Some can do both and do wonderfully. My brother LOVES video games. In fact, he works for a video game programming company and loves it. He is also very active outdoors and with martial arts. When he was younger he loved RPG's and Yoshi. We spent plenty of time outside and he was still able to enjoy his video games.

Do you feel the same way about a kid who loves to read? I used to spend many summers up in my room reading because I loved it. I'm still sitting on my bum instead of outside. The only difference is that I was reading. Do you think my time was better spent outdoors too? I'm not trying to be a b*tch and grill you. I just wonder why you believe its ok to tell a kid how their time should be spent if they enjoy an activity.

I am with you that they shouldn't be plugged in all day and play in moderation. However, if it is something that brings them pleasure and they don't take it to extremes why is it an issue?

I also agree that balance is important.  We had a gaming system when we were younger, but we weren't allowed on it during the day and our time was limited at night.  None of us (I have 2 brothers) ever took to it.  It was just there and occasionally we would play.

The type of game they are playing also makes a huge difference to me.  I don't have as much a problem with Mario Cart as I do with violent video games.  My core belief is that play time should be spent out with other kids.

Baby girl #1 7/11/13

Baby girl #2 4/30/15

Baby Boy Due 2/16/19!

• imageErinm278:

As I replied to Prim- My thought is that a child's play time is better spent outside in nature with human children like them.  Not in front of a simulated world.

I loved the make-believe worlds of books like The Hobbit and other sci-fi or fantasy series when I was in middle school & high school. Those are, theoretically, a simulated world as well, wouldn't you agree? I was still involved in my neighborhood, played capture the flag with my friends and street volleyball.

There is a lot to be said about playing outside with your friends or riding bikes until the sun sets, but quiet time with your video games or books or drawing pad is not a big deal as long as you are trying to balance out your interests. The same could be said of TV and other gadgets, right?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• imagePrimRoseMama:
    imageErinm278:

I loved the make-believe worlds of books like The Hobbit and other sci-fi or fantasy series when I was in middle school & high school. Those are, theoretically, a simulated world as well, wouldn't you agree? I was still involved in my neighborhood, played capture the flag with my friends and street volleyball.

There is a lot to be said about playing outside with your friends or riding bikes until the sun sets, but quiet time with your video games or books or drawing pad is not a big deal as long as you are trying to balance out your interests. The same could be said of TV and other gadgets, right?

I don't put reading books and playing video games in the same category.

Baby girl #1 7/11/13

Baby girl #2 4/30/15

Baby Boy Due 2/16/19!

• This is my first UO- I don't like intro posts, I figure we will know who you are when you start responding to things, some things are better left unsaid.

Memorable people rarely need an introduction around here.Wink you know who you are.

imageimage

• I like my red meat well done, especially while pregnant, and will send it back if I order it as such and receive it with a ton of pink in the center.

I loved being pregnant the first time. I loved the whole process- watching my belly grow, feeling kicks, etc. This time, however, I was much, much more nauseous during the first trimester and much more tired throughout. Plus, I have a toddler to chase around the house. It gets tiring. I'm looking forward to July.

I love having my nails done, but I hate when the first nail polish chips (especially if it's very soon) and then the whole thing looks sooo sloppy. I gotta try out the gel manicure trend.

I don't like strappy, triangle bikinis on little girls. But I will put DD in a cute tankini that offers decent coverage. It makes diaper changes a breeze!

As far as video games, I think it's a matter of moderation. Not too much all day everyday. Growing up, I have so many fond memories of playing Super Mario Bros! That being said, I don't like the overly violent, bloody ones at all!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• 1. I don't like video games because I am bad at them. Sad Except Toe Jam and Earl on the Sega. I kicked my brother's butt in that game.

2. Beach Boys Hate? How un-american! Kidding (or am I?), but for reals I spent my golden birthday (on the 8th I turned 8) watching the Beach Boys after the Padres game. Best day ever.

3. I bought a PBK crib today! Our house is mostly PB and I know Baby Bargains give them a bad rating I just really wanted a PBK crib. (I have been saving money like crazy so we can afford it).

ETA 4: I love gel manicures because I hate waiting for my nails to dry!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageetoille:
    LOL - Dude I could NEVER figure out Toe Jam and Earl.  That's hilarious!  Yay for crib buying!!

That's because it's not a "real" game. So if you're good at "real" games then Toe Jam and Earl makes no sense. If you are, however, like me....it's a gold mine!

• Interesting topics today!

1. AMAZON TRAIL rules and so does Mario Bros. I played video games a lot when I was little. I also played outside a lot and read a shiz tun too. I think I'm perfectly fine.. my hand eye coordination is pretty good too...

2. I love little bikinis but DH says he wouldn't want our bebe girl wearing one so I guess that's out. Tankini maybe?

3. I love PBK. I've been hunting craigslist for the Madison Changing Table!

Oct. 2012: Clomid + Ovidrel = Baby A born 07.17.13 at 38 wks! 
    TTC #2 since Jan. 2014
    BFP#1 02/26/14 CP 02/28/14
    BFP#2 03/23/14 Stick Baby Stick!
    imageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Another UO for me: I can't stand Rachel Ray. Lord she is annoying.

BFP # 1 11/2011, MC 12/2011 
    BFP #2 11/2012, Delivered at 21 weeks on 3/16/13 due to complications with bilateral renal agenesis. 
    ~~Missing Astrid Lynne~~
    BFP#3: 09/2013, EDD 5/14/14

Lilypie - (9zLl)
  • That dead horse gif cracked me up!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• imageJennyLynne:
    Another UO for me: I can't stand Rachel Ray. Lord she is annoying.

This. I just can't stand her raspy voice, and she's too excited all of the damn time. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMelissa 4637:

I don't like The Beach Boys.

Surprise  Sacrilege! God bless Brian Wilson!

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • imageErinm278:
    I have another one that goes along with Prim's:I think fake nails look trashy.nbsp; I prefer a nice maicure over those fake things.nbsp; It also drives me bonkers when omen get the fake nails and then act like they're handicapped.nbsp; NO..I will not open that soda for you!nbsp; You look like an idiot trying to fetch things our of your purse with those claws.

LOVE IT!! I totally agree!!
  • imageetoille:
    imagemaryannespier:
    imageetoille:
    I mean actually while we're on it - wtf good does economics do anyways period?

/giggle.

Economics is totally bogus.  The invisible hand is just going to come in and fix everything anyway.

ooooh you're going to get us into trouble :P

*smacks head on desk* I don't have the energy to go into economics today... Lucky J13 board!! I will spare us all a lecture in econ.   Big Smile

Have a nice day ladies.

(I have also noticed my raging 1st tri hormones have dropped to the point of barely wanting to argue at all anymore)

Edit word change.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imageErinm278:

I totally agree with this. Except my UO would be that Leapfrog is unnecessary. My 5 yr old has a very well rounded life w/o 'learning' video games. He loves letters and numbers and we just had a P/T conference last night where we heard again that he is very advanced in that area. I'd rather read books and play games with my children, and let them practice writing, to help them learn than to have a little machine do it for me.

I'm not saying that I won't ever let my children play video games, but it isn't necessary for them now, and I will monitor the hell out of what they can play.

But like PP I will encourage them to play outside and use that to facilitate their imagination, hand-eye coordination, and problem solving over a machine. And I also agree that reading books and video games aren't in the same category at all. Sure both are very singular activities, but that's about it.

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • imageJennyLynne:

I think the bigger UO is when someone loves video games. I love them. I was planning on using part of my day off today to go play Borderlands 2. 

My other UO: I think ketchup is the perfect condiment.  

Yes

I've been too tired with the pregnancy, but we are huge game nerds.

The change in taste preferences has also resulted in a big bump for ketchup. I used to put ranch dressing on most things,but now it's ketchup. haha.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemaryannespier:
    imageCarrie3102:
    imageetoille:
    imagemaryannespier:
    imageetoille:
    I mean actually while we're on it - wtf good does economics do anyways period?

/giggle.

Economics is totally bogus.  The invisible hand is just going to come in and fix everything anyway.

ooooh you're going to get us into trouble :P

*smacks head on desk* I don't have the energy to go into economics today... Lucky J13 board!! I will spare us all a lecture in econ.   Big Smile

Have a nice day ladies.

(I have also noticed my raging 1st tri hormones have dropped to the point of barely wanting to argue at all anymore)

Edit word change.

Yes!  Thank you for not arguing my terrible oversimplification of classical econ!  I don't have the energy and my copy of Wealth of Nations is sitting at home somewhere with my copy of the Commie Manifesto.

ETA: Because I read them for the same class.

It is funny how the anger, need for argument and desire to prove one is always right... slows WAY down in 2nd tri.

I'd rather we just have some fun... for now =) 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imagePrimRoseMama:
    imageErinm278:

Huge difference between books and video games.

Huge difference between creating that fictional world in your head with your own imagination using the author's discriptions as a guide vs. being a video game zombie.

• imagePrimRoseMama:
    imageErinm278:

What if you are reading a book or playing a video game outside?
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• This isn't relevant to anything else. But office supplies doesnt need to get all fancy. Most of the "improvements" suck.

Case in point. Pop up sticky notes. The sticky part SHOULD ALWAYS BE AT THE TOP. With this crap back and forth design I have to try and turn my sticky note pad each time. Or I have dumb sticky notes that are upside down.

Ps. All pens besides v5 pilots suck. I whip out my own pen at the doctors office and other places because I can't stand ball point pens.

I've got more, but I'll stop there for today.
  • imageYellowLily2013:
    Ps. All pens besides v5 pilots suck. I whip out my own pen at the doctors office and other places because I can't stand ball point pens.

Yes!  This is the only pen I use, love them :) 

• imagecollers4:
    Yay! I love PBK too, which one did you buy?

Kendall in Simply White. I am excited!

• imagequeenbone:
    imageErinm278:

I totally agree with this. Except my UO would be that Leapfrog is unnecessary. My 5 yr old has a very well rounded life w/o 'learning' video games. He loves letters and numbers and we just had a P/T conference last night where we heard again that he is very advanced in that area. I'd rather read books and play games with my children, and let them practice writing, to help them learn than to have a little machine do it for me.

I'm not saying that I won't ever let my children play video games, but it isn't necessary for them now, and I will monitor the hell out of what they can play.

But like PP I will encourage them to play outside and use that to facilitate their imagination, hand-eye coordination, and problem solving over a machine. And I also agree that reading books and video games aren't in the same category at all. Sure both are very singular activities, but that's about it.

Yes This is exactly how I feel!

Baby girl #1 7/11/13

Baby girl #2 4/30/15

Baby Boy Due 2/16/19!

• imageatlvol:

imageYellowLily2013:

Yes!  This is the only pen I use, love them :) 

Yay! I'm not alone. :]
  • imageYellowLily2013:
    This isn't relevant to anything else. But office supplies doesnt need to get all fancy. Most of the "improvements" suck.

Case in point. Pop up sticky notes. The sticky part SHOULD ALWAYS BE AT THE TOP. With this crap back and forth design I have to try and turn my sticky note pad each time. Or I have dumb sticky notes that are upside down.

V5s are the best! Ballpoints are only used on my carbon copy paper and since that's only shipping labels they don't get used often. I hate that I have to bring in my own V5s to work though.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • imageStina2012:

imagecollers4:

I know the reviews aren't great for PBK stuff, but I have their changing station, I think it's the Madison, and I love it!
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• imagemeimsx:
    imageYellowLily2013:
    This isn't relevant to anything else. But office supplies doesnt need to get all fancy. Most of the "improvements" suck.

V5s are the best! Ballpoints are only used on my carbon copy paper and since that's only shipping labels they don't get used often. I hate that I have to bring in my own V5s to work though.

Dr. Grip Gel is my FAVORITE pen, writes beautifully and is comfortable to hold. When I was an office manager I used to order the refills for the one I kept at the office, I was so sick of buying refills myself just to take to work!
  • imageLiz4444:
    imageStina2012:

imagecollers4:

I know the reviews aren't great for PBK stuff, but I have their changing station, I think it's the Madison, and I love it!

I actually got really mad at Baby Bargains. I thought their review wasn't really fair. I mean Land of Nod got a better rating as did Restoration, but the main knock against PBK was price. Umm, ok..really? Made no sense.

I think we're going to get the "Ultimate Changing Station" from PBK. I have this gorgeous light blue dresser (apothocary style if you're a Friends fan) from PB that I don't want to scratch or mess up with a table topper or attaching a changing pad.

• imageautumnmahler:
    My unpopular opinion is that we try to baby and protect our kids a bit too much. That may not be the exact right way to put it, but this is what I mean. We don't allow kids to fail anymore. We are too concerned with them having a high self esteem, that we don't care if they live in the real world until they turn 18 and graduate high school. I understand wanting kids to experience success, every child should have something they are good at and experience success through that. Not every child though will be a star baseball player, and deserves a trophy at the end of the season. I think we have gone overboard with trying to promote their self-esteem, to the point where we aren't using common sense any more. If the first time a child experiences failure is after graduation in the 'real' world, they have no coping strategies, and possibly no work ethic. I played on a traveling basketball team where we won 2 games the entire season- am I scarred for life? No, and neither will your kid be. If I have a kid who wants to play sports, be invovled in something I am going to do my best to find a league or whatever the situation is that still allows kids to play the game, counts points, and lets them have fun- because that is what it is supposed to be about. Just my 2 cents for the day!

I totally agree! In the real world not everybody gets a trophy. I want my kids to understand that there are things you excel at, things you don't, and things you just do for fun. If we never find out what we're not good at, how will we find those that we are good at!

• imageStina2012:
    imageLiz4444:
    imageStina2012:

imagecollers4:

I actually got really mad at Baby Bargains. I thought their review wasn't really fair. I mean Land of Nod got a better rating as did Restoration, but the main knock against PBK was price. Umm, ok..really? Made no sense.

I think we're going to get the "Ultimate Changing Station" from PBK. I have this gorgeous light blue dresser (apothocary style if you're a Friends fan) from PB that I don't want to scratch or mess up with a table topper or attaching a changing pad.

I love that episode! 

Mom to Jacob, Henry and Ian Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageStina2012:
    imageLiz4444:
    imageStina2012:

imagecollers4:

I have the PB apothecary table!

• imageMelissa 4637:

I don't like The Beach Boys.

This hurts my heart.  I love them so. 

Baby BOY due 10-8-16
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"