October 2012 Moms

Teething? 4 month wakeful ? WTF

Advice needed! My LO has never STTN, but he used to be an OK sleeper. The past week he's been up every hour or so and seems to have been teething. Last night was the worst night of his life. No idea what's wrong with him and curious if you guys have ideas. 

He was up literally ALL night screaming. The only thing that would make him not scream was letting him nurse in my arms. We tried tylenol, orajel (both OK'ed by our pedi). He has no fever, no wet diaper, no gas or tummy troubles (it seems). We tried settling him for an hour of rocking, but nothing settled him other than nursing. He would fall asleep nursing, but I was never able to transfer him back to to his bed. Every attempt would end up with him screaming in pain again.

Any ideas? Is this just normal baby behavior? Not sure I can live with this much longer. No sleep sucks. He's doing a lot of hand shoving in mouth, but it's hard to believe teething is causing this if tylenol and orajel gave him no relief.  

DS1 : 10/2012
Due with B/G Twins July 2015

Re: Teething? 4 month wakeful ? WTF

• If it was teething causing him that much pain he wouldn't nurse. The sucking hurts their gums. Sounds like a growth spurt? I'm on mobile so I don't know how old, but if nursing is soothing him then let him nurse. That's a slight downside of BF. Its soothing and comforting for them.
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    I made rachelmichelle1 my bitch.
  • imageVegasbb:

Advice needed! My LO has never STTN, but he used to be an OK sleeper. The past week he's been up every hour or so and seems to have been teething. Last night was the worst night of his life. No idea what's wrong with him and curious if you guys have ideas. 

He was up literally ALL night screaming. The only thing that would make him not scream was letting him nurse in my arms. We tried tylenol, orajel (both OK'ed by our pedi). He has no fever, no wet diaper, no gas or tummy troubles (it seems). We tried settling him for an hour of rocking, but nothing settled him other than nursing. He would fall asleep nursing, but I was never able to transfer him back to to his bed. Every attempt would end up with him screaming in pain again.

Any ideas? Is this just normal baby behavior? Not sure I can live with this much longer. No sleep sucks. He's doing a lot of hand shoving in mouth, but it's hard to believe teething is causing this if tylenol and orajel gave him no relief.  

I have been dealing with this since last Friday night. It is absolutely awful, and I have no idea what to do. I broke down and gave him tylenol last night as well thinking it was teething because he has been chomping on anything and everything for a few weeks now, shirts covered in slobber, etc. but the tylenol did nothing. I am not nursing, but he is eating more bottles than usual. I can usually get him back to sleep by rocking, shushing, swaddling, etc., but he is still up 30 min-1 hour later screaming bloody murder. I had never hear of the 4 month wakeful until recently, and if it's that, god help me because he is only 16 weeks old and they say it can last from 15 weeks-19 weeks. Anyway... from reading posts lately you and I are not the only ones going through this :( Just wanted to say I am right there with you, but sadly have no advice, and would appreciate any input!! Bath, bottle, paci, rocking, swaddling, unswaddling, changing, etc. nothing works. It's breaking my heart and I am wiped!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO is 16 weeks, so definitely could be 4 month wakeful. I don't *think* it's a growth spurt, but hard to say. I thought it might be an ear infection, but I think with ear infections they hate nursing as well (plus he has no temperature). So frustrating ! 
    DS1 : 10/2012
    Due with B/G Twins July 2015
  • This is exactly what we are going through.  At this point, I almost lean to a growth spurt.  He gained 2oz yesterday.

I just keep nursing every 2-3 hours at night and hope we get through it.  He's up for the day at 5:30am.  It's great.

He does make it through longer stretches if he sleeps on me, but that's almost counter productive when I wake up with a sore back. 

ME: 31 PCOS - DH: 32 Perfect. 
    TTC #1 started 8.2010. 
    BFP #1 3.2.11Blighted ovum, missed m/c, 4.3.11-6.22.11 Provera

BFP #2 Aug 2011 Clomid 50mg+Met missed m/c found 9w5d | cytotec 10.26.11 
    BFP #3 - CD36 - Jan. 2012 - 100mg Clomid + 2000met-  Baby Boy born 10.06.12 with 1 in a billion CHD. Perfect otherwise. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Open Heart Surgery @ 5 months old.Happy, healthy, and as normal as could be!  We thank God every day.EP/BF for 12.5 months

TTC#2 - November 2012

BFP #4:  O'd on CD25 (Aug. 2014).  DD May 6, 2015. RCS planned.
    Beta@14dpo: 184, 17dpo: 520.  44 hr. doubling time.  p4: 54U/S 8 weeks 1 day, 161 bpm
  • Oh ya, same here, if he is sleeping on me he is better, but I can't do that every night either. My back is killing me, and I don't want to make a habit of that! 

Also vegasbb, I too thought it might be an ear infection, but no fever, and I have heard if they are one of the few that don't get a fever with their ear infections, their ears at least drain or get crusty. Also, he is happy during the day, so if it was an ear infection, I think he would still be miserable then as well. Good luck to us all! I just keep thinking it has to get better to make myself truck on :)  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I put her on the boob and let her chill. Sometimes there is no milk, she just uses it a pacifier to calm down when she's flipping her lid

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When ds1 was teething, he nursed around the clock. He would cycle between eating, comfort nursing, sleeping in no particular order. It seemed he was on my boob more while teething than in the early weeks.Once the little tooth buds popped through it seemed to pass. It could be anything really, but i wouldnt rule out teething.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"