March 2013 Moms

Baby and travel

This is probably a really stupid question.,,

So my brother is getting married and baby will be 3 months old. They are still trying to pick a state since he is in the air force, her family is in two states and we are in another.

If we travel by plane... How do I get around with baby? I can rent a car and carseat but it's like 200 for 2 days. And what if it's in a big city that I would need a cab? I can't just hold a baby in there right???!

I know the best solution is to drive if it's only 6 hours but if they decide Texas or California I am not driving. My husband will be starting a job and may not have a ton of time off either. So either way may have to fly.

So obviously I can't make any actual plans until they pick a location but just looking to see how others would do it. Obviously I dont live in a city and apparently don't get out much lol.
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Baby and travel

• I would bring your car seat with you, if you'll need it in a car.  You can buy a seat for baby on the plane and put the carseat there or you can check it at the gate.  Even if you don't rent a car, you can always strap an infant seat in a cab pretty easily.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Oh, and I wore DD in a wrap when I flew with her around 3m and it was great.  I highly recommend it, especially if you don't bring the car seat on board with you.  DD was able to nap in the wrap and I didn't have to hold her.  It also made getting through the airport a lot easier, but again, I didn't have a car seat or stroller with me.

• Loading the player...
  • imagejahjbmr:
    This is probably a really stupid question.,, So my brother is getting married and baby will be 3 months old. They are still trying to pick a state since he is in the air force, her family is in two states and we are in another. If we travel by plane... How do I get around with baby? I can rent a car and carseat but it's like 200 for 2 days. And what if it's in a big city that I would need a cab? I can't just hold a baby in there right???! I know the best solution is to drive if it's only 6 hours but if they decide Texas or California I am not driving. My husband will be starting a job and may not have a ton of time off either. So either way may have to fly. So obviously I can't make any actual plans until they pick a location but just looking to see how others would do it. Obviously I dont live in a city and apparently don't get out much lol.

I live in a large city and this still makes me nervous.  I think traveling with an infant sounds scarey.  No advice but if I were you, I'd rather drive!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Bring your car seat, car seat base and a super basic stroller, like a snap and go ( by 3 months you will be really talented at taking it in and out of a car).  Bring a large garbage bag or cover for the car seat so it doesn't get dirty when they put it in the cargo hold.  You can gate check all the pieces of the car seat plus the stroller for no charge.  You will want a car seat wherever you are going.  Wear a baby carrier..  Nurse or give the baby a bottle during take-off and landing to ease any pressure on ears.  We traveled with our son at 10 weeks.  Relatively painless.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Awesome thanks everyone! I didn't know you could check it at the gate... Cool
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagejahjbmr:
    Awesome thanks everyone! I didn't know you could check it at the gate... Cool

You can check the car seat and stroller at the gate for free. Just make sure you cover the car seat, otherwise, it will get filthy. FWIW, I would never use a rented car seat, or a seat provided by a car service. You never know if they've been in an accident or not.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • For what it's worth, check on the cab regulations in any "big city" you are visiting.  Here in NYC, for example, taxi's are exempt from all car seat regulations.  I know tons of moms who take cabs here - most either wear baby carriers or put the baby on their lap. 

https://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/faq/faq_pass.shtml#9

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagejahjbmr:
    Awesome thanks everyone! I didn't know you could check it at the gate... Cool

Yes, and it doesn't count toward your permitted carry on type items, so bring a stroller/car seat with you.  You could even check it, but I wouldn't trust it.

Another option is to buy a cheap convertible seat like a Cosco (about $40) so that if something happens, it's not the end of the world. 

• A cheap one sounds like a great idea. I don't want them to beat the crap out of a nice one. Obviously I don't fly often either lol.

Thank you!! Hopefully they will pick a state so I can actually figure some stuff out.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Traveling with a LO isn't so bad.  If you do fly, absolutely bring your car seat, and check in with the desk when you arrive at the gate.  They will usually do everything they can to get you an extra seat to put the car seat in.  If an extra seat isn't available, then you can gate check the car seat.  I personally would not feel comfortable without a carseat in a cab.  And you will be much more comfortable with your seat than any loaner.

If you are worried about getting through the airport, bring along a Snap n Go type stroller.  You can absolutely gate check it.  Leaving yourself enough time so that you aren't trying to rush through is key.

Security people are very friendly, and will usually help you as much as they can, but they will also make you take the baby out of the wrap or carseat/stroller when you pass through. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I have the same dilemma. I'm due 3/12/2013 and will be on maternity leave from work until 5/28/2013 (yep....i'm taking my full 12 weeks of FMLA! :)) My BFF's wedding is 5/4 (back home in Louisiana) & Mother's Day is 5/12. My mom is a 9 hour drive away in Louisiana (I'm in Atlanta). This is her 1st grandchild & my 1st Mother's Day so I'm def going to hang with my mom and this'll give everyone in Louisiana a chance to see the baby.

I usually drive home w/ no probs but now SO and I are sharing a car. He's not going b/c of course he'll have to work. I can't just disappear with the car for almost 2 weeks. If I rent a car for a week and a half it'll be terribly expensive, plus $200+ for gas (round trip). The bus is totally out b/c it's like 13 hours long.

So I've decided to fly. The round trip flight will between $450-$500. I've been researching and most moms just attach the baby to them in a body sling (free) for the flight. But you can purchase a seat for your baby (for a really small fee) and bring your car seat to put baby in during the flight. You can "baggage check" your stroller free of charge and you are allowed an extra carry-on bag for free for baby's needs. This research is for American, but I assume most airlines are pretty similar.

• Which Airport are you flying into? and where in the city are you going to stay. I live in NY and could suggest some options for you.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagetraneshaph:
    I have the same dilemma. I'm due 3/12/2013 and will be on maternity leave from work until 5/28/2013 yep....i'm taking my full 12 weeks of FMLA! : My BFF's wedding is 5/4 back home in Louisiana amp;nbsp;Mother's Day is 5/12. My mom is a 9 hour drive away in Louisiana I'm in Atlanta. This is her 1st grandchild amp; my 1st Mother's Day so I'm def going to hang with my mom and this'll give everyone in Louisiana a chance to see the baby.
    I usually drive home w/ no probs but now SO and I are sharing a car. He's not going b/c of course he'll have to work. I can't just disappear with the car for almost 2 weeks. If I rent a car for a week and a half it'll be terribly expensive, plus 200 for gas round trip. The bus is totally out b/c it's like 13 hours long.
    So I've decided to fly. The round trip flight will between 450500. I've been researching andnbsp;most moms just attach thenbsp;baby to them in a body sling free for the flight. But you can purchase a seat for yournbsp;baby for a really small fee and bring your car seat to put baby in during the flight. You can "baggage check" your stroller free of charge and you are allowed an extra carryon bag for free for baby's needs. This research is for American, but I assume most airlines are pretty similar.
    Purchasing a seat for the baby costs exactly the same amount as purchasing one for yourself. My husband works for American and I used to work for Delta.
    Wear the baby and/or bring a stroller to gate check. At 3 months old they are super easy to fly with and will most likely sleep the whole time. Feed the baby during take off and landing so the ears don't hurt.
    I usually check a carseat with my luggage, it's free and doesn't count toward your baggage allotment. The airlines also have bags you can use if you ask but I usually use my own. Buy a nice cover and you can fill it full of other stuff diapers, shoes, whatever as well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"