March 2013 Moms

Should have organized #1's baby clothes

Finally busted out #1's baby clothes for #2.  I really should have been more organized when I put them away. I am finding newborn stuff with 12 months stuff.

Lesson learned after 2 hours of reading tags and organizing.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Should have organized #1's baby clothes

• DH and I had to do this a little while ago.  H was less than thrilled that I had shoved things in random containers as he prefers organized and labeled.  Needless to say, all of #1's things are organized and labeled for #2 now LOL

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagejllmb79:

Finally busted out #1's baby clothes for #2.  I really should have been more organized when I put them away. I am finding newborn stuff with 12 months stuff.

What would you do differently this time (aka your system).  I am a FTM and wondering how to manage clothing once the LO starts growing.  Would you recommend cleaning and seperating by month?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageBabyMayinMarch:
    imagejllmb79:

What would you do differently this time (aka your system).  I am a FTM and wondering how to manage clothing once the LO starts growing.  Would you recommend cleaning and seperating by month?

::butting in: I've found the easiest way to stay on top of this especially in the beginning when they are going through clothes quickly is to keep a bin in the closet that you can toss the clothes in as they grow out of them. Once the bin is full- go through and sort. I've found that generally I store newborn and 0-3 in 1 bin; 3mo, 3-6mo and 6mo in another bin; 6-9mo and 9 mo in a bin; 9-12 and 12 mo in a bin and usually I end up with another bin of just 12 mo, just 18 mo, etc. As they get into the bigger sizes you often end up with more clothes since they stay in the sizes longer. I always just make sure to mark really good what size ranges I have in each box as well as what season that covers (0-3 girl winter for example). I also tend to put clothes in with what size they SHOULD be- for example if DD had a 0-3mo outfit that really fit more like a newborn outfit I would make sure it ended up with the newborn clothes despite the tag. I figured it wouldn't do me any good to have it in the 0-3 mo bin and possibly miss out on the new baby wearing it b/c by the time I go to open the 0-3 mo bin that outfit would be too small if that makes sense. HTH!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • That's on my to-do list for next week. :/ I am not looking forward to it. At all.

• imageBabyMayinMarch:
    imagejllmb79:

I have plastic tubs that are labeled with each age.  Different brands fit differently, so for instance, my 3-6 Gerber stuff is in the 0-3 bin since that's what it was comparable to (imo).

If you have a spitter, I also recommend doing a hot soak in oxyclean before storing everything.  When I took out her old stuff, even though it was all washed, I was overwhelmed with the smell of sour milk.  Since I soaked everything (months ago, before I was even pg, I discovered it when I was getting something out to lend to a friend) I haven't smelled a thing. 

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagesucrets4:
    imageBabyMayinMarch:
    imagejllmb79:

I have plastic tubs that are labeled with each age.  Different brands fit differently, so for instance, my 3-6 Gerber stuff is in the 0-3 bin since that's what it was comparable to (imo).

If you have a spitter, I also recommend doing a hot soak in oxyclean before storing everything.  When I took out her old stuff, even though it was all washed, I was overwhelmed with the smell of sour milk.  Since I soaked everything (months ago, before I was even pg, I discovered it when I was getting something out to lend to a friend) I haven't smelled a thing. 

Awesome! Thanks!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I experienced the same thing!  Yesterday I found maturity clothes I could of been wearing for months and didn't remember i had.  NOT fun to organize now but atleast if it's a girl I can just give all the boy stuff away!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageskyllingstadl:
    imageBabyMayinMarch:
    imagejllmb79:

::butting in: I've found the easiest way to stay on top of this especially in the beginning when they are going through clothes quickly is to keep a bin in the closet that you can toss the clothes in as they grow out of them. Once the bin is full- go through and sort. I've found that generally I store newborn and 0-3 in 1 bin; 3mo, 3-6mo and 6mo in another bin; 6-9mo and 9 mo in a bin; 9-12 and 12 mo in a bin and usually I end up with another bin of just 12 mo, just 18 mo, etc. As they get into the bigger sizes you often end up with more clothes since they stay in the sizes longer. I always just make sure to mark really good what size ranges I have in each box as well as what season that covers (0-3 girl winter for example). I also tend to put clothes in with what size they SHOULD be- for example if DD had a 0-3mo outfit that really fit more like a newborn outfit I would make sure it ended up with the newborn clothes despite the tag. I figured it wouldn't do me any good to have it in the 0-3 mo bin and possibly miss out on the new baby wearing it b/c by the time I go to open the 0-3 mo bin that outfit would be too small if that makes sense. HTH!

This sounds like a good system. I can't remember how some of these sizes fit...I think I will have to keep newborn thru 3m-6m in the dresser to start. I wish sizes were standardized across the board.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ugh, I feel your pain. I saved all of my clothes from my first two (girls) and we're having a boy this time so I'm trying to go through and start getting rid of everything. I did a pretty good job of keeping sizes together it's just the number of plastic bins and volume of clothes that I need to go through. I agree with previous poster that it's a good idea to keep a plastic bin in the closet and toss things in there as you go. Or, I would go through everything at the end of Summer and the end of Winter and put things together in bins at that point. That way most of the clothes are together by seasons, too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"