Preemies
Options

bed rest (new to the board)

I have been a lurker over the past several months however have never posted. I apologize in advance for the length.

On Saturday I was having contractions and seen in labor and delivery. I was given a shot of terbutaline and was sent home on bed rest. I was seen on the doctors on Monday and told that my fetal fibronectin test came back positive ( which means I could deliver in the next 2 weeks), I was dilated to 1.5 cm and having contractions 4-5 minutes apart. I was sent to the hospital and tried on Procardia which did not help, given magnesium which slowed things down. I was discharged on Procardia and strict bed rest.

My question to all you ladies is that is the fetal fibronectin test really that accurate from personal experience. Also for you ladies who have children that were born early what problems did they have and how long in the NICU. I am now 32 weeks and one day. Thank you. I also posted on my due date month so please disregard the double post if you are on the March board as well!

photo 7e743566-12ed-490b-ab2b-c02defa0dfc7_zps2f01858c.jpg

Re: bed rest (new to the board)

• Options
    I had the test at 23 weeks and it was positive.

My positive was due to a hidden abruption, and in my case didn't indicate imminent delivery. Positive results are actually pretty easy to influence, a minute amount of blood can cause one.

I delivered 11 weeks later, at 34 weeks when my water broke. Good luck! Even if nothing happens, it is a scary thing.
  • Options
    I never had the test so I can't be any help there, I was induced at 32 wks for HELLP syndrome, DD had a bit of a roller coaster ride in the nicu, the first month was the worst, she stayed in the most intensive care unit during that time, we had severe reflux, bradys, desats, she had to be bagged a few times. We stayed at rmh so I talked to a lot of parents of nicu babies, it was a pretty even split between our issues and being feeders growers learning to eat. It's such a large spectrum of things that can happen that its impossible to say what a nicu stay will be like. I hope you can keep Lo cooking to term, I hate the thought of someone else having to go through the nicu and preemie scary stuff. If you do go early there is an amazing group of women here for support. I would say prepare to stay til los due date and mentally prepare for the nicu as best as you can and hope for ft and little to no uneventful nicu stay. Will be praying you can get to term!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I had the test at two different times. The first time it was negative and the pregnancy continued for a few more weeks. The second time it was still negative, but my water broke a week later and I had my baby 5 days after my water breaking. 

Like PPs said, it is difficult to predict your baby's NICU journey. My personal story is that DS was born at 33 weeks and 6 days. He only weighed 3 pounds and 14 ounces. But he did extremely well. Never needed oxygen, never had any heart issues. He was jaundiced, but that is common. He spent 16 days in the NICU.

Best wishes to you and your LO! The ladies on this board are very helpful and understanding, if you have further questions or just need a listening ear or a shoulder to lean on. :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had multiple FFNs....the last one was positive (at which point I was put on modified bed rest), and ruptured about two weeks later (delivering 6 days after that). FWIW, the test is a reliable negative, but not a super reliable positive (so bed rest is the right precaution -- just don't worry too much about the test indicating you're about to go into labor). They said a whole bunch of things could make the test come back positive -- including any sort of discharge, blood, etc.
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I had a negative FFN at 24 weeks when I was admitted to antepartum.  I wasn't there for PTL though, but coincidentally was contracting somewhat regularly so they decided to check. I delivered at 28 weeks (2lbs and 2.7 lbs )so it's not really a good comparison to your LOs gestational age.  My twins were pretty stable to whole time but it took a while for them to learn to breath on their own so they needed CPAP and vents until about 31-33 weeks gestational age.  After that point they were on oxygen for a few more weeks and just needed to grow and learned to eat.
  • Options
    Just remember everyone's body is different! I had the test on dec31 and it was negative, I was given IV and discharged with a diagnosis of dehydration. The next day the contractions came back and when I arrived in L&D the contractions were regular and three doses of procardia and one steroids shot and my water broke at 1:30 am on the 2 of January. My baby was born 33weeks 4 days and thank god he is ok. He did need oxygen for a couple hours, he had a high billyrubin count and received uv light treatment for two days. Once he started eating latching on and sucking and swallowing the NICU began to prepare us to take him home. He was in the NICU for ten days and he has been home for two weeks and a half. I gaur tee you will be amazed at there resilience and strength. I watch my little guy grow everyday. Good luck! cook baby cook!
  • Options

I never had the FFT done with either of my girls. My oldest DD was born at 33w 4d due to pre-e. I went to the doctor for an appointment and was sent immediately to the hospital for monitoring. I was given one steroid shot and put on mag., and almost 24 hours later I delivered DD. She was born at 4lbs 10.5oz and was mainly in the NICU for jaundice, grower/feeder. She spent 13 days in the NICU. When I got pregnant with #2, I was monitored much closer the second time around, weekly bp checks and I was also a candidate for 17p shots. I ended up in the hospital at 32w6d due to high blood pressure, I received several shots of terb, a prescription for procardia and also got both steroid shots and put on bed rest. I made it until 34w5d before delivering DD#2. She was born at 5lbs 5oz and had a few more issues than her sister. She had issues with jaundice, Apnea and bradycardia (a's and b's), and gaining weight. It took her almost a week to start gaining weight and almost 13 days to finally figure out the a's and b's. She came home after 14 days in the NICU.

DD1 is now 3 years old, very spunky and into everything, she is still very skinny, but very tall. My youngest is 10 months old, a big girl at 20lbs and doing very well, standing up, crawling, feeding herself, etc. Although both my girls have had their bouts with colds, but that's just pretty normally.

Praying that you can hold off a few more weeks. Please keep us posted. 

• Options
    thank you so much for everyone's insight. Hearing others stories has given me confidence if I deliver early. I truly appreciate it!

photo 7e743566-12ed-490b-ab2b-c02defa0dfc7_zps2f01858c.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"