Cloth Diapering

How much did you spend on your stash?

I know this has come up before but I didn't see a recent post, and I'm starting to feel guilty about how much I've spent on diapers since I promised DH we'd save $$ using cloth vs. disposables. I keep seeing posts about how people only spent $200 on their diapers, and I'm feeling like an ass - we've definitely spent $800+ on diapers. Granted, I think we have a pretty big stash - can easily go 3-4 days without doing laundry, although we never do, but that way I'm not constantly stuffing - and DH refused to do prefolds, so we have all pockets & AIOs. Can someone make me feel better?
January Siggy Challenge: Happy Dance

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP #1: 10-25-11, MC: 11-1-11 @ 5w5d
 BFP#2: 12-29-11, DS born September 2012
TFAS: July 2014, BFP#3: 12-29-14
, EDD 9-9-15

Re: How much did you spend on your stash?

• I'm not sure how much I've spent...I'm not sure I want to know either.

I'm pretty sure the average price of disposables for one kid is 2,500$ so you're still saving more than you've spent. If you plan on using those diapers on future kids, you've saved even more. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yea sorry but my stash is all pockets and I have replaced all of the microfiber liners with bamboo and still spent around $200 including wet bags etc. 
  • Loading the player...
  • My current total is $707.14 and I want more!  I think I need more daycare friendly diapers and plan to buy some Rumparooz today.  I'm glad I'm not the only one in this price range!  :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh, I know we'll still end up saving - just not as much, since I'm apparently addicted :). We mostly got gender neutral colors / patterns, too, so I should be able to re-use for baby #2. I am just impressed with the number of people I see saying they only spent $200 or so on dipes - good for them!!

BabyFruit Ticker

, EDD 9-9-15

• About 500 to 530 total. I have 26 newborn pockets, 24 OS pockets, and 6 OS AIOs. They're made up of BG, Alva, and Kawaii. That price also includes the wet bags, some extra bamboo and hemp inserts, and some CJs bottom butter. I expect I'll still need to buy a diaper sprayer at some point.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • imagess456:
    My current total is $707.14 and I want more!  I think I need more daycare friendly diapers and plan to buy some Rumparooz today.  I'm glad I'm not the only one in this price range!  :)

Agree!!! A bunch of stores have RaRs aplix on sale right now - its my DC's favorite diaper. Aplix is great and the inners are so soft (and we haven't had any pilling). I've heard of some people having issues with the PUL de-laminating after a year or so, fingers crossed that doesn't happen to us :)

BabyFruit Ticker

, EDD 9-9-15

• I was going to say $700 total... maybe more. I have a big stash, too which includes 17 grovia AIOs, 5 fuzzibunz, 7 kawaii, and a newborn stash that I can't even remember whats in that! I tried out a lot of diapers, and of course, the ones I liked the most were some of the more expensive ones! I also have 3 large wetbags, 3 medium and 2 small. Now that we have another on the way, I am planning on refreshing my newborn stash, and I will probably put another $200 into that. 

You have to figure, if you are using them for another child, or you can resell them, you are still saving more than if you used disposables!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We're sitting at $850 including wet bags, wipes, liners, etc. We had a newborn stash, including 8 AIOs. Then 4 small pockets, 7 one size pockets, 6 one size covers and a pile of inserts. We don't need anything else if I keep washing every other day, but I will buy more one size pockets now that I know my favourites. I think total cost til potty training will be $1000. Well worth it for us, as we started in the hospital and would like to have 2 more kids (so the NB stash will get used, though I know one sizes will need replacing).
  • Not sure how much I've spent. I think I'm around $400-$500.

But I spent mine slowly, here and there.

6 - BG 4.0 (buy 2 get one free)

8 - Oh Katy (Buy 5 get 1 free plus 2 free Oh Katy)

3 - Flips (seconds)

4 - BG 4.0 (25% off so buy 3 get 1 free)

6 - BG Freetimes (buy 6 get 1 free)

2 - Bumkins (discounted and got one free because it was damaged)

1 - Kawaii

6 - Fuzzibunz (buy 4 get 2 free plus 20% off)

1 - Thirsties Size 2 cover

1 Sm Willow Sprouts hemp insert

3 Lg Hemp Babbies  inserts

1 daiper sprayer

12 premium prefolds

4 Lg Planetwise wetbags

2 Snappi (toddler size)

And now I have 5 more BG 4.0 pockets coming from an co-worker. Plus 1 yard of hemp fleece to turn into inserts this weekend. 

That's a lot of diapers.  But I did lose 3 diapers at daycare. I should really total everything and see what I paid.

• I really don't want to know how much I've spent.  I've tried almost everything out there.  I think probably at least $1000.  I tend to get gender neutral colors so I can use with baby 2 and baby 3.  I did prefolds with covers until he was probably close to 2 months old.  Funny after trying everything I love Kawaii (could have saved so much starting out with that!). 

It's pretty addicting so what I do now is if I want to buy more (since my stash is pretty complete) I sell off some of my stash to compensate for what I want to spend.  I think $1000 is a lot but I plan on using it with baby #2 and baby #3 whenever that happens.  

Plus it's fun perfecting your stash to exactly how you like it!

• I was curious and so I just totaled it up and we're at about $800 - that's for everything, ~24 pockets/AIOs, 24 prefolds, a bunch of PUL covers and wool, 3 Grovia shells with 8 inserts, extra hemp inserts, 4 shish/WAHM fitteds for ON, 2 pail liners, 4 med wet bags, fabric for 60 homemade wipes, and a diaper sprayer. 

The only thing missing is a newborn stash since we used a diaper service the first 3 months. I'm going to go with just prefolds for the newborn phase for any future babies (this was for #1) since I already have all the covers. 

I definitely didn't go the cheap route since our main reason for CDing is for health and environmental reasons. We'd have a smaller stash if I wasn't going back to work since MH and I both really like prefolds, but we needed pockets/AIOs too for our nanny. And I prefer natural fibers which always seem to cost more $$.

• Around the 500 dollar range. We have 26 pockets that consist of varius brands. We also have a fitted, 6 prefolds, and 2 covers. For the earlier stages we have 3 newborn fitteds, 12 newborn prefolds, and 4 covers. The price also includes 2 wetbags and a couple things of CJ's butter. Im getting ready to order a pail liner so add that to the list as well.

I think I did pretty well in the spending department for as much as we have. We plan on having a couple more children so Im good to go. Besides stocking up on my newborn stash and girly diapers if we ever have a girl.

I wouldnt worry unless you were spending in the thousands range. It still beats the disposible price.

• I'm still creating my stash, but my wishlist totals 370 + some shipping costs.  I'm sure I will spend more than that once we figure out what works and what doesn't.  I'm hoping to get a lot of stuff at my shower, but I bet I'll just get a lot of clothes instead of the awesome diapers I really want! 
    Kristen's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• about 800.

which is half of what disposables would have cost. at least.

And I will use them again.

• Okay, I need some other twin moms to reply so I don't feel so ridiculous!  I just checked my spreadsheet (what, you don't keep track of every diaper purchase in a spreadsheet?) and my total, including NB dipes and all accessories, wet bags, diaper cream, and even detergent (once I switched from Tide to Tiny Bubbles--I just use it on diapers) is $1461.57. Embarrassed

I actually don't think that's too bad, though, considering I have 2 and almost my whole stash is new, "high dollar" aios and pockets.  I don't think I paid full price for anything I have.  I'm planning to sell quite a bit of it, too.  I have 12 red edge GMD WHs that I haven't even taken out of the packaging that I think I may sell, plus, I think I'll sell my NB aios and pockets since I think the WHs and prefolds worked much better.  Of course, I'm not really done buying yet, either...

TTC since September 2009.

IVF #2: +HPT 2/6/12! ~ Boy/Girl Twins!!

• About 900 right now, and that is for a twin stash of mostly aios and pockets, I have resold my NB dipes already. And even if I have to throw these all away in the end from overuse not likely, I will have saved a bunch on these two!
  • We definitely have already spent way too much on NB diaper stash and still need to buy our OS stash. I think after all is said in done for both the NB and the OS stash we'll have spend 2 grand... eek!! This is including accessories, extra inserts and doublers, cloth wipes, and all supplies CD related. We plan on having 2-3 children and this is the first. We'll also be selling diapers in good condition once we're finished. I still believe we will be saving quite a bit of money in the long run. You can't sell disposable diapers back, that's for sure. Also, the environmental impact is completely worthwhile as well. I also don't think I could possibly put a disposable on my LO after researching, buying, and obsessing over CDs. They are so much better for her. 

ETA: Wow, I'm super shocked by how much more my estimation is than what most of you spent or are spending :/  

• imageSarah226:

Okay, I need some other twin moms to reply so I don't feel so ridiculous!  I just checked my spreadsheet (what, you don't keep track of every diaper purchase in a spreadsheet?) and my total, including NB dipes and all accessories, wet bags, diaper cream, and even detergent (once I switched from Tide to Tiny Bubbles--I just use it on diapers) is $1461.57. Embarrassed

I actually don't think that's too bad, though, considering I have 2 and almost my whole stash is new, "high dollar" aios and pockets.  I don't think I paid full price for anything I have.  I'm planning to sell quite a bit of it, too.  I have 12 red edge GMD WHs that I haven't even taken out of the packaging that I think I may sell, plus, I think I'll sell my NB aios and pockets since I think the WHs and prefolds worked much better.  Of course, I'm not really done buying yet, either...

Bah haha, I have a spreadsheet too!!! High five! :)

Ok, but what is my excuse? I don't have twins... Ugh, I know I can cut some of the intended purchases for the OS stash...but I don't want to :(

I need to stop being so obsessed.  

• I don't use a fancy spreadsheet, but have kept track of every penny to know exactly how much I've spent.  I wonder if some people that say "about $500" (or something similar) actually know what they've really spent.  If I wasn't keeping track, I would have guessed lower.  

Even if you have spent close to $2000, you're still helping the environment, not putting scary chemicals on your baby, and have a nice stash to use for baby #2 or sell to recoup some of your money.

• About $800
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Umm... I've already spent over $500 and I only have two OS diapers..... To my defense I originally planned to use fitteds and covers but my little girl was too small for them so we had to buy lil joeys (over 200 of what I've spent and I know I can resell them for about what I paid if I don't decide to keep them for future los) and now mh liked the ease of AIOs so I don't think I could get him to try the fitteds any more so I sold my workhorses but still have covers to sell. We also tried the bummis newborn pack which wasn't absorbent enough for her so I'll be selling those as well. We also have 20 P&Ns for her to wear once she grows into them and I imagine she'll be in those for quite a while before I'll need some true OS diapers. This amount also includes my two hanging and one medium wet bags. 

• I haven't kept track. It's way more than $500, though, because my stash is outlandish in size. I have had some success selling off diapers that didn't work for us (some of which I had gotten for free) and I've gotten some really good deals so I still feel like I'll be saving money in the long run.

Having a huge rotation of diapers is great if you plan to reuse or resell. They stay in really good condition because there is less wear and tear. At least that's what I keep telling myself. 

OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagess456:

I don't use a fancy spreadsheet, but have kept track of every penny to know exactly how much I've spent.  I wonder if some people that say "about $500" (or something similar) actually know what they've really spent.  If I wasn't keeping track, I would have guessed lower.  

Even if you have spent close to $2000, you're still helping the environment, not putting scary chemicals on your baby, and have a nice stash to use for baby #2 or sell to recoup some of your money.

I kept all my "receipts" in an email folder labeled Cloth Diapers. I added it up one day when someone else here asked the same question. I expected it to be closer to $300-400, not $500+.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • I started CD'ing for the money savings and environmental friendliness.  Now that I have become an addict for fancy fitteds and wool it's just for the environmental friendliness.  ;)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagejenna888:
    Yea sorry but my stash is all pockets and I have replaced all of the microfiber liners with bamboo and still spent around 200 including wet bags etc.

How?
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • In total on cloth diapering supplies I have spent $249.58 (shipping and taxes included)

Diapers cost me $169.62, for a complete list of my dipes you can view my post the other day asking  

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/71650093.asp (sorry I don't know how to make it clicky) 

I also spent $79.96 on random bits

3 snappies 

5 travel wet bags

12 100% wool sweaters to make covers and longies (but if these work out I am hoping to gift and sell a few.)

ball of 100% wool to make dryer balls

Babyville how to make cloth diapers booklet

Velcro, elastic, Kam snaps and pliers in case anything needs repair and to try to make my own. 

Plus I am stock piling old wool and fleece blankets, flannel and cotton sheets etc to put towards soakers and wipes. But I don't count those as we had them kicking around here not being used, so I have relocated those to the future nursery for safe keeping.

I expect I will need to spend another $50 to get a few pail liners or hanging wet bags and I want some flats. 

• I originally posted that I spent 400-500 on my stash.

Well I totaled everything....

$668.64

That does not include detergent and creams and a set of liners.

And actually when I divide by the number of diapers I have it's only $17.14 a diaper.  A lot of the pricing though I'm guessing at.  I think I missed a few discounts on some of my orders and took the original cost instead.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"