Cloth Diapering

Hmm...

Awhile ago, I had posted about how many CDs would be good to start with (a question I know is frequently asked on here). I had been considering about 20 OS to start (BG 4.0) but upon seeing the input that I would need more at least in the beginning in order to keep from doing wash every day, I decided that I would do sposies for the first three months or so, to give us a bit more time to get a better collection together and also for LO's BMs to get a bit less frequent. After about three months, would 20 be adequate if I want to do wash EOD or should I still get more?
image image image BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Hmm...

• 20 should be manageable. 

Why not buy 20 and then if you decide you want more, you can get more.

Don't buy all of the same kind without trying them first. BG4.0s are popular, but they aren't my favorite.  Buy one or two of a few kinds.  Try them.  Then buy more of what you like.  Every baby is shaped differently and diapers fit them differently.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for that suggestion! I'll try a some others too, then. I'm trying to get a feel for the ones that work the best for the most amount of people- what is your favorite? 
    image image image BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I got some OS pockets from Diaper Safari. I really like them. I like them better than my BG 4.0s. Not sure why, but I do. They are a little smaller and the fabric is nice and soft. Those are the only two kinds I have. ETA: we did sposies the first three months then switched to cloth. We have 22 diapers. Two are always in the diaper bag and the other twenty in rotation. It's a perfect amount for us to wash every other day.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • 20 is okay to start with.  You will have time to buy more if you decide you need them after LO comes.  We ended up not liking the main brand we bought and then basically bought a whole new stash and everything worked out!  I think it depends a lot of the shape of your baby.  DD has the skinniest legs ever and some of the brands just don't get tight enough and leak every time!  We love our BG 4.0s, Best Bottom AI2s (leg gussets get tiny), and Baby Kicks hemp pockets.  All purchased post birth!  :)
    DD #1 Eva- April 2011
    DD #2 Violet- October 2013
    DD#3 Due New Year's Eve 2016

• K started having BMs every other day around 2 months, so you might be able to start sooner. Plus, you could still CD part time as you build your stash. I did that and it took the pressure off while I was getting the hang of it.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Why not do a NB diaper trial? We did the one from Jillian's Drawers and since it's really only enough CD's for one day, we used sposies while our trial diapers were in the wash. A diaper trial will take a lot of the guesswork out of what will work for you in terms of building your stash.

Also, every baby is different, both in terms of fit and in terms of BMs. DS had 4-6 BMs a day until we started solids at 6 months. Then he went to every other day. But the last 2 weeks he is back to 3-4 every day. Also, pre-solids I wouldn't worry about frequency of BMs. It all comes out in the wash.

• I went through a lot of diapers for the first 4 months or so.  I used the prefolds instead of the disposables, costs less.  I used about 24 prefolds until I switched over to pocket diapers (I love BG).  Now it seems I usually wash about 14 diapers per wash.  That's every 2 or 3 days depending.  20 will be plenty if you are waiting to use them until LO fits in a OS.

Factor V Leiden Homozygous, Advanced Maternal Age

TTC #1, 5 yrs, PCOS, Femera + Ovidrel.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

TTC #2, 2 yrs, PCOS, Femera+Ovidrel

IUI#2 BFP!

• I had a newborn stash too so I could start before the cord fell off. Best diapers for adjusting around the cord and fitting for a while after had a snap down area for the cord rather than a cut out. My fave AIO was lil Joey, cover was rumparooz NB. Once the cord fell off I could start using my fuzzibunz elite one size right away, but my rumparooz G2 and happy heiny pockets are still too big.

I have tons of different brands, and I recommend buying at least one one of a kind before a whole stash. After my first order I played with them and bought more of the ones I felt were well constructed or had features I liked.

Also, you'll notice in reviews that some diapers fit smaller or larger. For example fuzzibunz one size elite fit great from 9 days, but reviewers say they won't last in size until potty training unless you have a smaller child. O the other hand, Happy Heiny one size still doesn't fit, but reviewers say they fit larger children all the way through. So splitting your stash among a few might save you money down the road.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"