Cloth Diapering
Options

How to prep used pockets?

So I have been CD for a few months now.  Bought new and they are working out great! I found someone online close to me who was de-stashing (because they were giving up on cloth) and bought 10 of her alvas for $2 each!!!

I don't know this person AT ALL  so I am a little concerned about making sure they are fully cleaned before using them.

Do I just boil them (they are pocket diapers)?? for how long?? Will that kill everything and strip them of any detergent buildup?

Then do I just wash as normal before using?? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How to prep used pockets?

• Options

Just put them through a normal cd wash. They should be fine.

As far as boiling goes, you shouldn't boil anything that has waterproof fabric, snaps, or elastic. I think it's mainly done to accelerate the prepping process for natural fiber inserts, prefolds, and flats.

ETA: you could also do a strip with blue dawn if you are concerned about detergent buildup. Starting with clean diapers run a hot wash cycle with a squirt of original blue dawn, then rinse, rinse, rinse!

You could also use a little bleach. For a top load machine, fill the drum with hot water, add 1/4 cup bleach, let it agitate a minute, then add the diapers. Run the full wash cycle with an extra rinse or two.

OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Ahhh see I didn't even think about boiling the plastic as a problem! Thank goodness I asked lol

Silly question but would sunlight work instead of Dawn? why is it so important to use Dawn brand? 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I agree with PP that you don't want to boil.

To disinfect, I'd go the bleach route.  (1/4 cup in a  hot wash) Stripping with blue dawn will remove build-up, but won't disinfect/kill anything like yeast.

Blue dawn is recommended for stripping because it's got a good track record of removing all things greasy, etc. and has ingredients that are CD safe.  I think you really could use any dish detergent that doesn't have any crazy scents or "mosturizing" additives though. FYI if you have a FL don't use blue dawn in your washer.  It will void your warranty.  Do a handwash with the blue dawn.  Then several hot rinses in your washer.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• Options
    I'm not actually sure why it has to be dawn (I assume it has different active ingredients) but everything I have read about stripping diapers has been very specific about using original blue dawn, so I'd probably stick with that. I bought a bottle just to use on my diapers, and i guess there are a ton of other uses for it too.
    OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

When ever people say to use Dawn brand I think of the old slogan "Dawn cuts grease". The original blue also doesn't have added scents like the other varieties do.

To disinfect, you can use bleach or GFSE in your normal wash routine. The majority of my stash I've bought gently used and all I've done to prep is do a hot wash with GFSE. I haven't had any issues yet.

photo e9455f4d-9751-469e-a19f-460104cd2e5c.jpg photo jan15.jpg
    BFP #1 5/20/10 Natural MC at 5w4d 5/28/10
    BFP #2 11/3/10; BO at u/s 10w6d 12/16/10; Natural MC 1/7/11; D&C 4/21/11
    BFP #3 10/27/11 Please stick, LO!! 2/6/12 It's a Girl! Alexis Grace born 6/29/12
    BFP#4 4/27/14 Stick, stick, stick!! 8/11/14 It's a Boy! Evan Wesley born 1/8/15
    "Patience is waiting. Not passively waiting. That is laziness. But to keep going when the going is hard and slow, that is patience."  Let it Be (blog)My BFP Charts
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    This time I'm not leaving without you.
  • Options

Well I did a bleach wash, extra rinse, then a soak in RocknGreen then a few more rinses... Hopefully that will be about it.

I don't have any blue dawn on hand but will pick some up if I have any repelling issues

Thanks for your help ladies :) 

• Options
    imageKJsbabe:

When ever people say to use Dawn brand I think of the old slogan "Dawn cuts grease". The original blue also doesn't have added scents like the other varieties do.

To disinfect, you can use bleach or GFSE in your normal wash routine. The majority of my stash I've bought gently used and all I've done to prep is do a hot wash with GFSE. I haven't had any issues yet.

Lurker coming in as I have bought most of my stash gently used: What does GFSE stand for?

BFP #1 6.9.12 EDD 2.16.13 Ended in emergency surgery due to an ectopic 6.23.13
    BFP #2 9.6.13  Rainbow born 5.22.13
    BFP# 3 8.28.14 EDD 5.1.15  2nd u/s revealed Twins   m/c 9.21.14 
    BFP # 4 11.27.14 EDD 8.5.15  1 perfect bean @ 6 weeks

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"