Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Blighted Ovum so confused

Hi ladies. So this is my first pregnancy and today was my first ultrasound. According to the date of my last period I am 8 weeks... The ultrasound the tech performed showed an empty sac after both an abdominal and transvaginal. The doctor came in and told me it was a blighted ovum and I had the option of letting the miscarriage happen naturally or doing a DNC.. He reported my HGC level was 7800. I am so confused! I have all kinds of pregnancy symptoms still and my HGC is increased so I don't understand why that was diagnosed so quickly I have read other women were advised by their doc to have their levels checked again and do another ultrasound in case bc there are instance where you just couldn't see the heartbeat my doc did not suggest any of this should I request more testing be done before I just write off as a definet miscarriage? I have had no bleeding whatsoever... So confused and scared!!

Re: Blighted Ovum so confused

• First of all, unless you are certain of when conception happened, then I would suggest asking for a follow up ultrasound in a week or so, just to be absolutely certain. If your dates are even just a few days off, then it's possible that it's just too early to detect a fetal pole. I don't want you to get your hopes up, but I think arming yourself with the most info as you possibly can will help you make the best decision for yourself.

Second, when the baby stops developing but you don't bleed or pass the tissue naturally, it's called a missed miscarriage. It will most likely happen on its own at some point. There are basically three options: wait for it to happen naturally, which could take days or weeks; have a D&C to remove the tissue; or take drugs (ex: Cytotec/misoprostol) to induce the miscarriage. The last one is called a medically managed miscarriage.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you, whatever the outcome may be.

• agree with other poster, have your hcg checked again and another ultrasound, just in case your conception date is off - youmight have ovulated later than you think, making your dating off.

with a true blighted ovum, you are pregnant but a fetus doesn't develop properly. you will have a gestational sac, your levels will rise, and you'll  pregnancy symptoms. it's a real mind fluck to have all all the symptoms but know there's not a baby. 

if you aren't sure of ovulation date, get another US and betas in a week.

good luck. 

BFP#4 3/17/14 - rainbow Baby BOY arrived 11/10/14 !!

DX: Uterine Septum - Resection 9/5/13 || MTHFR Hetero A1298C || My Chart

image    image

• Loading the player...
  • Sorry you are going through this right now. I agree with PP, I would definitely request another ultrasound just to be sure. 

Keep us posted.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks so much ladies I am definetly going to request they reevaluate me next week. I am not going to get my hopes up because I cannot go through that heartbreak again but I definetly want them to be sure they didn't miss something!
  • Definitely get a second ultrasound especially if you are not having any signs of miscarriage and all the signs of pregnancy.  You just never know.  Good luck and I'm sorry you are going through all this.

Mommy to baby J - 09/2009 - My perfect little princess.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

TTC#2
    BFP 10/14/11 - MC 10/21/11 @ 4w3d
    BFP 01/23/12 - MC 02/05/12 @ 5w2d
    BFP 12/21/12 - D&C 02/07/13 @ 10w2d 02/27/13 - MTHFR

My Blog:Two Moms and a Journey

My Chart

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"