Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Starting whole milk at 4 months

Yes you read that correctly, and there is more.

There is a woman I am related to who has a daughter who is 6 weeks older then my LO, so far she has given her a sucker at 2 months old, teething biscuits and even eggnog at 3 months! She actually posts pictures of this crap on Facebook. I posted a link on my wall of dangers of starting solid foods too young (since I couldn't find one that lists reasons not to give them suckers and eggnog... WTF) and I made it so only she could see it. Now she is talking about how she has started her on whole milk. I am so upset and concerned for this child's health, she is close to my family so I really don't want to be a total idiot to her, but the subtle hints just don't seem to be working and I have to tell her. It's just NO ONE else has said anything to her. I can't believe I am the only one who is saying something.. how would you handle this situation if it was you? I really want to tell her without upsetting her but I guess the truth hurts sometimes.

Re: Starting whole milk at 4 months

• Options
    Honestly, she is endangering her kid and depriving them of nutrition. I'd be getting copies of the pics and comments from FB and reporting her to CPS. It's one thing giving rice cereal early, it another to completely take away formula and be giving cows milk.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Yikes! 

Do you honestly think she doesn't know any better?  I guess if you really think she is this clueless you could always strike up a conversation about how you know it's early, but you are so excited to start solids when your baby turns 4-6 months because after all you aren't supposed to give anything but BM or formula before then. 

I'm guessing she knows and just doesn't care, thinks it's funny, or has found that's a way to soothe her baby.  If you suspect she already knows better, then I guess there's really nothing to be said or done. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    She just justified it by saying that her grandmother had a book that said by 3 months they should be chewing on chicken bones and pork rinds so it couldn't be that bad. Sweet Lord...
  • Options

imagesavish:
    She just justified it by saying that her grandmother had a book that said by 3 months they should be chewing on chicken bones and pork rinds so it couldn't be that bad. Sweet Lord...

Does she realize she can kill her baby this way? She is taking away her babies proper nutrition and essentially starving her kid. This can also have huge developmental impacts, since babies gain brain cells through calories and gaining weight. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagekbruington:

imageNana_Osaki06:
    Honestly, she is endangering her kid and depriving them of nutrition. I'd be getting copies of the pics and comments from FB and reporting her to CPS. It's one thing giving rice cereal early, it another to completely take away formula and be giving cows milk.

I think calling CPS is a little extreme and although it's sad because it's not in the best interest of the baby, it's not anyone's choice but the mother's. If you know her, try to sit down and talk to her or give her some print outs on nutrition for babies, etc. Do you know that she isn't breastfeeding or giving formula in addition to the milk?

I have a few friends who are foster parents. I've seen babies taken away for things like this. Once the baby is labeled failure to thrive and someone reports her things could go very badly. It sounds like she knows what she is doing and doesn't give a crap. It's negligent to do that to a little 4 month old. It should be reported and investigated before she causes permanent damage to her kid. 

• Options

I am a blunt person so I would just flat out ask *why* is she doing it. Maybe there is some slim, skinny, chance that someone told her it was perfectly fine.  Then I would try to educate her that she should see a pediatrician ( if she doesn't believe you) to make sure that what she is doing is safe for her baby. 

Personally I think calling CPS is too early.  It sounds like someone maybe filling her head with non sense. Keeping it within the family to help her is what I would do and then call CPS if she seems like she doesn't care.  To loose a child over something that may be as little as bad information would be so sad.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Oh no! I had a friend from high school post about giving her 4 month old a bottle of Mt. Dew. Some people just don't have common sense apparently. But I would definitely report it to CPS if she isn't getting the hint from anyone.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • Options
    No one has said anything because they are probably like you, not wanting to make waves, or not knowing how to approach the subject. This is tantamount to child abuse/neglect/endangerment. Someone needs to speak up for this baby, and not just drop hints, because as you said, obviously they're not working. You don't have to be a "total idiot" to her, but you do need to be direct and you need to approach the subject in a very serious tone so that she knows how serious it is. Some people just don't get it unless you spell it out for them, and the time wasted by beating around the bush, something fatal could happen to this child. If you're not comfortable saying something, you need to at least be the anonymous whistle blower and get somebody in there that will do something.
  • Options

imageNana_Osaki06:

this. I'd definitely be calling CPS. 

• Options
    imageLadynikon:

I am a blunt person so I would just flat out ask *why* is she doing it. Maybe there is some slim, skinny, chance that someone told her it was perfectly fine.  Then I would try to educate her that she should see a pediatrician ( if she doesn't believe you) to make sure that what she is doing is safe for her baby. 

Personally I think calling CPS is too early.  It sounds like someone maybe filling her head with non sense. Keeping it within the family to help her is what I would do and then call CPS if she seems like she doesn't care.  To loose a child over something that may be as little as bad information would be so sad.  

THIS! All of it!  

Missed M/C 11/11/11
    BFP: 3/15/12 EDD: 11/25/12 DOB: 11/12/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"