High-Risk Pregnancy

Diabetic and 10 weeks pregnant.

Hi i was just wondering if anyone else here was type 2 diabetic before getting pregnant? I am so scared that my baby may come out with special needs. I had an A1C of 5.5, and Ive been exercising and checking my sugar levels which sometimes come out high because sometimes I get so unbelievably hungry I cant stop myself! Anyway my doctors tell me Im doing good, and so far the one ultrasound at 7 weeks was normal , but my dr wont have me do another ultrasound until 20 weeks! Is this normal? I mean considering I am diabetic shouldnt there be another one in between? Anyway I am just scared, I need some reassurance. Thanks for reading

Re: Diabetic and 10 weeks pregnant.

• I'm an uncontrolled type 1.  Sounds like you do a really good job keeping your numbers in line.  My A1c's run a bit higher than yours. You might ask for a referral to a parinatologist....my Endo and OB insisted on this for me.  I have one that works together with my OB.  My parinatologists do ultrasounds every 3-4 weeks (which has been very nice for mom!) to make sure everything is going well with the baby.  I think I started seeing them around 2-3 months.
  • Thank you. I feel much better
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been a type 1 diabetic for 23 years.  With an A1c of 5.5, you are as healthy as a non-diabetic and not at risk for complications.  My sugars go high sometimes too.  It's not the occasional spike that will hurt the baby (although never healthy), it's the consistent high sugars.  "Special needs" is an interesting term.  Diabetes and high sugar do not increase your baby's risk of things like Downs Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, Autism, etc.  The higher sugars increase the risk of heart defects and large birth weight.  As long as your A1cs are staying in the 5s, you won't start having extra appointments until later in the pregnancy.  You should be seeing your Endo more regularly and he/she should be checking your A1c monthly (in my experience).
  • Thanks so much! That really helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"