March 2013 Moms

Anyone deliver a breech baby vaginally?

We have had a few complications during this pregnancy (first baby) so we have had monthly ultrasounds since 6wks.  I am almost 35 weeks and baby is Frank breech.  At my appointment today my OB was telling me that she has a lot of experience delivering breech babies vaginally and that a vaginal delivery may still be an option for me if everything else goes well.  I also am given the  option for a C-section.  I'm not sure what to do.  She mentioned that Dr.Google will give me inaccurate results as the largest study they have done on vaginal breech deliveries was skewed due to the inclusion of many preterm/unhealthy babies. 

She also mentioned that I can go to the perinatal clinic to try a manual version to flip baby around.  I know this is a painful procedure but I'm willing to try it. 

There are risks with any delivery, but I'm just up in the air on this one. Anyone out there deliver a breech baby vaginally or want to share their 2 cents?  Part of me is leaning towards a c-section because it seems like it is more common  but there is a nagging part of me that feels like this is the easy way out for me.... even though post partum recovery will be more difficult after a section.... I don't know what I think really... input please!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone deliver a breech baby vaginally?

• No experience, but just want to mention... c-section is not an easy way out when it comes to doing what is best for your health and babies. Good luck on your decision and I hope your sweet pea flips on it's own that way you won't have to worry about version or breech delivery.
  • I remember in the Ina May book that she has a maneuver for breech babies named after her, I think (it's been a few months, plus baby brain).

If your DR is willing and able to deliver a breech baby, I am very impressed, and I would definitely be interested in pursuing that over a C-section, which is, after all, major abdominal surgery. Most DRs do not even consider it because they are so afraid of malpractice suits.

Just my two cents... 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I've got a breech baby right now, too. This is my first kiddo, so I don't have previous experience, but you do what works for you. Talk with your doctor extensively, think about it, Google it, ask whoever you feel comfortable talking about it with, and make your decision. No one can make it for you, so inform yourself as best you can, and do what works for you and your family.  

It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • It just depends on your level of comfort. You need to seriously weight the risks and benefits of each.

I had a extremely easy vaginal birth and recovery but I would still feel more comfortable going with a section for a breech baby. I think it's great that your midwife is trained and has experience so I would ask more about how many breech births she has attended and if there were any complications.

• I'm in the same boat and all I will say is it seems to be still early. My doctor s a bit concerned for me bc I'm working with only half a uterus and they feel she may not have room to turn. It's really at 36 weeks hen your doc should be just TALKING to you about c section (IMO).
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• I myself was a breech baby delivered vaginally.  My mother never had an ultrasound (military hospital) so they did not know which way I was facing.  After 5 days of contractions a big Jamaican doctor ended up going up the vaginal canal with "his big ass hands" and turned me the correct way for delivery. Tada! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have NO experience with delivering a breech baby.  But you should take a look at spinningbabies.com they have a lot of success.  And it's still early.   Hang in there mama.  :)

• kegkeg member
    If I had a provider who was comfortable delivering breech vaginally (thankfully I do), I would definitely go for it.  Sure, I'd try what I could to try and turn the baby first (e.g., spinningbabies, chiropractor/Webster technique, acupuncture/moxibustion, version), but in the end I'd at least give it a shot.  C-sections are definitely no walk in the park.  A friend of mine, who is an OB, had a breech baby and did everything possible to delivery vaginally, and she did.    
    2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• If I had an OB who was trained and willing to deliver a breech baby I would absolutely choose that over a c-section. C-sections are major abdominal surgery and if you have a dr. who is trained in breech deliveries there shouldn't be much more risk than a regular vaginal delivery (as compared to a section which definitely has more risk involved just b/c it is major surgery). 

I would also look into trying to get the baby to turn in the weeks you have left- as pp said, try spinningbabies techniques, see a chiro trained in the Webster method, and even an external version. If none of that works than I would at least attempt a vaginal delivery.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I think there was a very successful vaginal breech birth on the Natural Birth board not too long ago, check it out! 
  • I'm a FTM, so I don't have any direct experience with a breech baby. However, my mom gave birth vaginally to my older sister (who was frank breech). She came out bum first, with her legs behind her ears.. and both her and my sister were just fine. My mom also went on to have 2 more babies vaginally, so I'd say it's definitely doable. Best of luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My mom did it! And that baby was me! I was actually preterm and couldn't even wait for them to do their turning, spinning whatever it's called trick.

But that was back in the 80's and drs were used to delivering breech babies, now they normally cross the option of natural birth out afraid of law suits and what not.

But once your dr is giving you the option and feel strong and confident about it I would trust her. If it was me I know I would prefer having it vaginally regardless.... as long as it was safe for the baby.

• The thing is, I don't know which option is safer for baby.  I could care less if my legs fall off during labor (we've had a bumpy road getting and staying pregnant, so labor is the least of my worries) I just want to choose the best option for baby.... sometimes it's just easier if the decision is made for you!  I'm still on the fence, but leaning towards choosing a section because it seems like less risk for baby... although I Googled and saw some pretty gnarly pictures of the after effects of a c-section - yikes! Why do I Google? Why?! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"