Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Newborn Stuffy Nose

Any suggestions how to relieve my 9 week old and her stuffy nose.  Started a cool air humidifier last night but doesnt seem to be helping.   

Re: Newborn Stuffy Nose

• Options
    Oh, poor lil thing! My Dr recommended saline solution (you just shoot it into their nostrils to clear.) But its really unpleasant and I would only use it if baby was having a hard time breathing. You can also use the bulb syringe to clear the nostrils, but again, it's pretty unpleasant for baby. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • Options

imageLaurelBee:
    Oh, poor lil thing! My Dr recommended saline solution (you just shoot it into their nostrils to clear.) But its really unpleasant and I would only use it if baby was having a hard time breathing. You can also use the bulb syringe to clear the nostrils, but again, it's pretty unpleasant for baby. 

Thanks, We used the bulb last night and boy did she cry.  I will try the saline.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah, the bulb syringe you should have. Suck that crap right out of there!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Squirt a little saline up LO's nose and then use the nasal bulb aspirator to suck out the mucus. The saline will help loosen the mucus so it comes out easier. You can also just use the saline and the mucus will work its way out on its own.

LO won't like it, but the discomfort/scariness only lasts a minute and breathing should be easier almost imediately. Also, I have heard wonders about the NoseFrieda. I have a "Baby Comfy Nose" aspirator - same idea as the NoseFrieda - and it seems to clear the nose better and more completely than the bulb aspirators. Good Luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageedilo:

Squirt a little saline up LO's nose and then use the nasal bulb aspirator to suck out the mucus. The saline will help loosen the mucus so it comes out easier. You can also just use the saline and the mucus will work its way out on its own.

LO won't like it, but the discomfort/scariness only lasts a minute and breathing should be easier almost imediately. Also, I have heard wonders about the NoseFrieda. I have a "Baby Comfy Nose" aspirator - same idea as the NoseFrieda - and it seems to clear the nose better and more completely than the bulb aspirators. Good Luck!

exactly this!

• Options

I agree with the saline - not too much, though.  Newborns should only get a few drops.  My DD has had a stuffy nose for over two weeks now, all I have to do it tip the bottle into her nose and pull it right back - no squeezing or squirting.  She doesn't mind it at all.

If it's extra stuffy, I will use the Nosefrida aspirator a few minutes after the saline.  I really recommend that but if you don't have one, you can use the bulb as well.

DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Options
    I actually was told by the ped to put a couple of drops of breastmilk up her nose since breast milk contains antibodies but at the time I had already dried up so not sure if it actually works!
  • Options
    thank you ladies for the help, 1st time motherhood is nerve wracking
  • Options
    Nosefrida is awesome - just had to say! 
    Married November 2009 ~ Sam is here! (12/26/12)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We use saline drops and the nasal aspirator. Works like a charm.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageLitgirl77:
    Nosefrida is awesome - just had to say! 

THIS.   2 drops of saline in each nostril and suck it out.  My LO doesn't cry with the Nosefrida. 

BabyFruit Ticker Find your aim in life before you run out of ammunition. - anon http://s874.photobucket.com/albums/ab306/Nanner777/?action=view&current=baby.jpg
  • Options
    Plus, keep the humidifier running.  It does work.  :)
    BabyFruit Ticker Find your aim in life before you run out of ammunition. - anon http://s874.photobucket.com/albums/ab306/Nanner777/?action=view&current=baby.jpg
  • Options
    Ditto on what PPs have said.

Also try standing in the bathroom with the shower running. The steam should help loosen up all that nasty mucus! Worked like a charm for us!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"