Attachment Parenting

New & overwhelmed

So, I thought it would be nice to put the pregnancy books aside for a while - I've read the ones I have often enough by now - and concentrate on the next stage. I'm an expecting FTM and I'm someone who likes to be informed and prepared.

So attachment parenting & positive discipline caught my mind. I find it all very interesting, but at the same time quite overwhelming. Can you recommend any resources? (Books rather than the links posted in the FAQ).

Also, I'm reading the book 'Positive discipline: the first three years' now. Do you find it useful? I see that "self-soothing" for example is not very popular here (or maybe just when used in the wrong sense?) while it seems a central concept in the book. Is this all really feasible? When I read the book, it seems so easy... A bit too easy, does this really work?

IDK, the pregnancy thing is pretty straightforward, I can do that, but the parenting... I might be really early, but I guess that's better than too late ;) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: New & overwhelmed

• They start out easy! All they need is food, sleep and clean pants. I seriously would not worry about the parenting until they get closer to a year.

The Dr Sears' Baby Book is a great reference, it has chapters about attachment parenting, soothing babies, etc, but also a lot of general baby care info that we really found helpful. Congrats and good luck!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Just remember that you have a very big blind date coming up where you're going to meet your LO. You are going to mold and re-mold your relationship all the time.

Take what you like from AP. Most of it's great. There is no such thing as perfect and you do what you can. I actually like alot of the gentle parenting blogs/ facebook pages.

As a mama who has loosely done the AP thing and survived at least the newborn stage, dont let anybody make you feel guilty for an informed decision done in the best interest of your baby.

• Loading the player...
  • Honestly, I would say put the books away for awhile and enjoy your pregnancy. Enjoy this time with your SO. Books are great for referencing and for online debates with other moms, but in reality just follow your gut, expect the unexpected, and just when you think you have it figured out, prepare to be reminded that you don't have a clue.
    Gabriel :: Born on his due date - 9/19/09 :: 9lb 8oz, 21"Birth Storysig4 copyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagenosoup4u:
    They start out easy! All they need is food, sleep and clean pants. I seriously would not worry about the parenting until they get closer to a year. The Dr Sears' Baby Book is a great reference, it has chapters about attachment parenting, soothing babies, etc, but also a lot of general baby care info that we really found helpful. Congrats and good luck!

This. And that book is a great reference. There's an updated version that was just released late 2012. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everyone! 

I will definitely check out the Dr Sears book.

I know you have to go with your gut feeling, but I like to have some 'rational' information at hand to assist my gut. Everyone is different in this aspect I guess, but I just really like being prepared. Even though I know that everything will probably turn out very different than I expect. But for me, that's all the more reason to be informed, so that I can take different scenario's into account, if that makes sense? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"