February 2012 Moms

S/o Words

Can you understand all of your LO's words perfectly?  Like when Kellen says Uh Oh I know that is what he is saying because he just dropped something but it sounds more like Uh Ah.  And when he says clap clap it sounds like cap cap.

I feel like I am very tainted when it comes to speech because Logan was very abnormal (he could say "I got you" and "Bye bye Dada" on his first birthday)  I am trying to remind myself that he was NOT normal and to not worry about Kellen but his words just aren't as clear.  

So, when you are counting your LO's words is it only words they say every syllable of or just ones that they know what they are saying (like when he says "cap cap" he is clapping) 

ETA- I should add that I am not really concerned I just want to figure out what to tell the ped when she asks how many words he says at his 1 yr. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: S/o Words

• I go by when they say something consistant even if its one syllable. Like DD says uh-oh but its just oh and she says ma instead of more or da instead of that. None of those are actual words but I know thats whats she's saying because she says it consistanly with what she doing or wanting.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was being kind of pedantic about it, then the DC said (not DS's teacher) "he has such good manners mom!" and I was like, huh?  I knew he said "thank you" appropriately, but figured no one else could understand him... "ten oo".  But I would say be more liberal - he dropped a toy over the gate, another teacher handed it back to him from the hall and he said it and she knew what he said.

If it sounds like the words, count it!

• Loading the player...
  • I count words that they know what they are saying. With your example of 'cap-cap", he is clapping, so that would count in my book. DD is not very clear in all of her words. Mama, dada, bubba, Mac (our dog) and yum come out clearly. Otherwise, I only notice she's learned a "new" word once she's done it repeatedly and I can relate it to what she is doing or pointing at. She says "ball" but I didn't realize it until we were shopping and she saw a big display of toy balls and she kept shouting and pointing "ball! ball!" But it wasn't very clear. I also think she says "bite", "more", and "kitty" but not clearly. It still counts to me because I understand it and she does it in the right context.
  • I go by words I can understand. I can hear "ma ma" and "da da" so I count those.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Maybe I have a very loose definition of what a word is, but to me it's a consistent sound used to describe something that has some semblance of a relationship to the actual word.  I think it's really about communicating, and if you can understand it, then it's a word. 

For example, my DS used to say hem when he needed help with something.  I don't think anyone else really understood that "hem" meant "help," but we totally knew what it meant, and he consistently used it in the right context to communicate that he needed help with something, so I considered it a word. 

• No words here. In fact true babbling just started a few months ago. He's in speech therapy for that and to help with feeding.

But if it were my kid and they demonstrated an understanding of the word and said it close enough that I knew what it was, I would count it.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would definitely count those as real words. Anna says Doh whenever she sees the dog, and this weird "kich" over and over when she sees the cats. They're not clear words by our standards, but they sort of sound like dog and kitty and she associates them appropriately so they count! At this age they're not expected to speak clearly.
  • imageSept07b2b:

Maybe I have a very loose definition of what a word is, but to me it's a consistent sound used to describe something that has some semblance of a relationship to the actual word.  I think it's really about communicating, and if you can understand it, then it's a word. 

This. Paul says "keeee" for kitty, and nah nah for night night and I count them.

• imagepennyandandy:
    imageSept07b2b:

Maybe I have a very loose definition of what a word is, but to me it's a consistent sound used to describe something that has some semblance of a relationship to the actual word.  I think it's really about communicating, and if you can understand it, then it's a word. 

This. Paul says "keeee" for kitty, and nah nah for night night and I count them.

Yep, yep, yep - all of this.  

My favorite parenting books (Baby 411, and then Toddler 411) go by this same rule of thumb.  If I'm remembering correctly, it says by age 3, strangers should be able to understand 80% of what your child says. 

11 months old! #andintoeverything
  • imagecheese.fiend:

Yep, yep, yep - all of this.  

My favorite parenting books (Baby 411, and then Toddler 411) go by this same rule of thumb.  If I'm remembering correctly, it says by age 3, strangers should be able to understand 80% of what your child says. 

Those are the BEST books!!  They are now my go-to gifts for anyone expecting a baby.  Oh, and Baby Bargains, which was written by the same authors.  That book was like my Bible when trying to navigate through all the baby gear options!   

• DD's words are definitely garbled.  I think this is how it usually is for the first couple years of their lives, at least in my experience with young ones who talk... I remember multiple times that even 3 year olds' conversations have to be translated for me by their parents...
    Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"