Working Moms
Options

2 jobs, 1 decision

I currently have a good job with great hours, 8:30 to 5:30 Monday through Friday. The downside is it's over 50 miles commute each way. I was just offered a new job with a different company. It is a little more money cuts my commute in half. The downside is the job is pm shift, 1pm to 9pm and requires call. Plus, I do feel a loyalty to my current job. I am currently the only bread winner for my family. I can't decide what would be the overall best choice for my family. Also, moving to be closer to my current job is not an option. Any advice is appreciated.
Loving Life being Brett's Mama! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 2 jobs, 1 decision

• Options

So if I'm understanding this correctly, your DH is SAH? If so, I would totally go with the new job. Shorter commute, more money. My DD's most fun/happy part of the day is in the morning. I would totally switch to that schedule if my H was home. If H worked all day, I might be worried about not seeing him at night, but sounds like that is not an issue. I would probably go for the new job if I was in that position.

Duke's House: Eating and Running with the Big Dog in Chennai: eatrunbrit.com

imageimage

2010 Race PRs:

5K - 24:57 10M - 1:28:20 13.1M - 1:57:29 26.2M - 4:28:29

• Options
    imageBrit's Luna154:

So if I'm understanding this correctly, your DH is SAH? If so, I would totally go with the new job. Shorter commute, more money. My DD's most fun/happy part of the day is in the morning. I would totally switch to that schedule if my H was home. If H worked all day, I might be worried about not seeing him at night, but sounds like that is not an issue. I would probably go for the new job if I was in that position.

I agree with all of this! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The only tough part of the 1-9 schedule is childcare, if you have that covered, I think it is a great schedule. If I get home at 5:30 it is a rush to get dinner, bath, and a bit of quality time before bed around 7:30. My kids are up around 7, which would give me about 5 hours with them vs. 2 in the evening and our morning rush to get out the door time. My DD would need an adjustment to me not putting her to bed, but she would be fine.

You are also getting a bump in salary plus you will likely save about $150 a month in gas. Also, I have found that once you are with a company you have more options, so maybe you could eventually find a more traditional schedule and have a shorter commute.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thank you all. Hubby is currently at home, but looking for work and hopefully starting school again in April. Our 3 year old goes to preschool all day, although he could start later in the morning if I went to work later, to have more time home with me. Hubby cooks dinner and does our sons bath/bed already since I'm exhausted when I get home. I help but he does most of it now. Not sure how that would change if he gets a job and starts back to school. With the new job the savings in gas and increased pay would be at minimum 500 per month, which is huge for us. Guess I'm just torn feeling loyalty to my current job and not seeing my son every night.
  • Options
    Is there maybe a door #3? I know no one is handing out jobs, but if option B doesn't really seem to work for you, keep looking. . .don't settle. 
  • Options
    Well, down the road there could be other jobs opening up for me, but none right now. Actually if I choose to stay at my current job, I probably won't look for anything else for quite a while. My current job and the new one are both good and if I wasn't currently working I would be SO excited about this new one, but neither is perfect. They both have positives and negatives.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"