October 2011 Moms

Sick girl UPDATE

N developed a fever yesterday and was up a lot last night. She was awake from 1-5 solidly and up again a little after 7. She's only taken a couple of naps. Her temp got to 103 last night but went back down to 100-101 with tylenol. That's where it is now with tylenol. She has been crying/whining all day. I feel so terrible for her. She is drinking fluids. She's nursing and I've been giving her some fruitables juice. She is eating a little.

I just looked at her vulva and it's red. Is this a sign of a UTI or yeast infection? I have no experience with either of these. She's also never had an ear infection or anything but I thought maybe that could be it. She had a dry cough and I gave her some Zarbees this morning and it has pretty much disappeared.

We just switched insurance and doctors and she hasn't been to see the new pedi yet. I was just going to wait until her 18 month apt but if she doesn't show improvement tonight I will take her in tomorrow. 

Do you think there's anything they'll do for her? I mean, she is eating and drinking but I'm just worried about what's causing the fever. What would you do?!? 

UPDATE: She took a long warm bath with DH and her temp is down to 99.2 She's running around and happy right now. She did something similar to this last night and her fever spiked around 1am. If it goes back up I'll take her in the the pedi but I'm hoping it is down for good. Thanks for all of the advice and kind thoughts guys. It really is appreciated.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Sick girl UPDATE

• I may be wrong but I was under the impression that if you can not get their fever down closer to normal after a few doses of Tylenol (24 hrs) that you are supposed to take them in. I say if you are wondering then maybe you should just take her in to be on the safe side. They could at least check her over and make sure that there isn't something else going on like an ear or other infection. Hope she is feeling better soon.
    image"width="200px"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I can't remember where you are, but I know RSV was going around LBB's daycare.  2 of his classmates were out earlier this month and I know that "cold symptoms" and a high fever are both hallmarks.

(Can't help with the red vulva since LBB obviously never has that issue)

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks guys. It was yesterday afternoon when I noticed she felt warm and took her temp. It spiked to 103 around 1am when she woke up but has stayed 100-101 with tylenol. If it doesn't go down by morning I will take her in. I just don't know what it could be.

I should add (blu reminded me of this) she literally hasn't left the house other than a car ride to pick up some food since Friday. I'm in Iowa and we had freezing rain this weekend so church was cancelled Sunday and we're moving in a week so  cleaning, organizing and packing have consumed my time. I just don't know what she could have picked up...She's never had more than a cold. She barely smiled all day the poor thing :(

• If she continues to run a fever, I would definitely take her in. They'll probably check her for infections and she may need antibiotics. DD1 is sick. I know it's no fun!!
  • imagelisajay09:
    Tylenol should bring the fever back down to normal, under 100. Have you tried Motrin? With DS, Tylenol doesn't lower his fever well. Motrin works better for him. I still would definitely take her in. There are all kinds of nasty things going around now and although she may not have left the house, have you? She could have picked up something from you or someone who came over and handled her.

That's a good point. I did go to the grocery store and H has been at work since Monday. I've never given her anything other than tylenol at pedis suggestion. N is pretty little, about 18lbs at her last apt and she said other things can be harder on her tummy. I am curious to say what the new pedi says though.

• I'd call the doctor tonight if she is inconsolable or if her fever won't come down.  But I would definitely call tomorrow during office hours to have her seen.  It could always be an ear infection (or something else).

• Poor baby :( I hope she gets to feeling better soon.  I would consider the ER too from what you've described.  Nora's never really had much of a fever, even with several ear infections.  If she had a fever that high, I would be taking her. 

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• imagePackerfan79:
    Does your pedi have a 24 hr phone consult? When ds had the flu they said no need for the er if the fever isnt above 105 and was being lowered (not eliminated) with meds. 

I know Missy. Natalie has never really had bad fevers and definitely not this long. She is taking another bath with daddy right now and seems happy. He seems to be the only thing to cheer her spirits today.

Packer, I am switiching Pedis so I don't know if they do or not. I was foolishly not anticipating my child to get sick before 18month apt and just got all of her stuff transferred to the new pedi today. I really should have been more on top of this. :(Her temp is 100.4 now. I am going to go pick up some lava tacos for DH and some motrin for her. Next time she's due for more meds I'm going to see if that helps. I would really like to avoid the ER as ours has been swamped with flu stuff junk. DH said there was practically nobody at church tonight because everybody was sick....

• Also, if it possibly an ear infection, put something under one side of her mattress to lift it. This makes it more comfortable for her to sleep.

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• I just got back from walmart/taco bell. (The tacobell is for DH :P) I picked up some motrin for N. She took a long warm bath with DH and her temp is down to 99.2 She's running around and happy right now. She did something similar to this last night and her fever spiked around 1am. If it goes back up I'll take her in the the pedi but I'm hoping it is down for good. Thanks for all of the advice and kind thoughts guys. It really is appreciated.

• That sounds like what my kids just went through. They spiked fevers and we just couldn't kick those fevers. Usually for me of they have a fever for 3 days I take them in as long as its under 102. Fevers can be good in a sense. I took them in even though their fevers were on the low side and they were happy besides bedtime. Turned out they both had raging ear infections. If the fever's not gone tomorrow Id take her in.

I also suggest Motrin. Tylenol doesn't do anything for my kids, plus it lasts for 8 hrs instead of 4.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"