Military Families

Navy girlfriend with dad going under way during birth

I am a navy girlfriend and 13 weeks pregnant. The dad lives out of state and will be gone most of the pregnancy and will be scheduled to be under way during the months of the birth. I live in Colorado and was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations or tips for me. its hard not having him here for all this and I work two jobs just to stay busy.

Re: Navy girlfriend with dad going under way during birth

• depending on the type of underway it is going to be, he may be able to request leave right around your due date. Keep in mind though that he will not get paternity leave unless you are married.

my husband is requesting leave right around my due date because his ship is doing training and random week long underways right around my due date,  things he's not really needed for. It all depends on the specifics of the situation.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks! we have been trying to figure out if he can get leave around then but his captain says he wont be able to but when they get back he can get a baby leave and that wont be until 2 months after the baby is born. hopefully it changes!
  • Loading the player...
  • unfortunately navy regulations specify that paternity leave(baby leave) is for married service men who's wives had a baby. However, things can change and underways get pushed back all the time, so this far out who knows what will be happening by then
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We had guys from the ship take baby leave even when they weren't married. Some even took regular leave days right after their baby leave so they could have even longer at home with baby. Depending on what they are trying to accomplish during that particular underway and what his specific job is they might deny his request until they get back.
  • Ok thanks! I know they have been discussing it but we will just see what happens! its hard for him not being around for mostly all of it...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"