TTC after 35

HPV and TTC?

I haven't posted on these Bump boards in years, but didn't know where else to ask about this.

Background:

I have one child who is 6 with my ex-husband. While we were ttc #2, I had a miscarriage and a few weeks later found out he was cheating on me. So we divorced and the ttc stopped. That was in 2009.

I am now engaged and planning on getting married in July. My fi and I would like to ttc shortly after the wedding because I will be 38 and I keep hearing how "old" that is in terms of ttc (even though I know ladies get pg at that age all the time).

I went in for my annual exam last month and learned that I have HPV and low grade cervical abnormalities and have been asked to come in for a Colposcopy (sp?). I am really nervous about this (even though the doc said not to be). Has anyone had this happen? How did it affect your ttc plans? Did you have to wait for a certain number of normal paps before you ttc?

Thanks in advance.

Re: HPV and TTC?

• I had this over 10 years ago and wasn't ttc then, so I don't know how it affects ttc. I tested positive for HPV, went out of my mind, and had the colposcopy because the pap showed I had mild cervical displasia. After the colposcopy (no sex for like a week I think I remember) my doctor said I had no cancer cells and to get tested every 6 months for HPV. I did, and still do, and I've never tested positive again. I don't know if I got a false positive that one time or if it just cleared up quickly. Good luck, try not to worry, the colposcopy will give your doctor the information he needs to help you.

• I 2nd what PPL said, I wasn't trying to conceive when I was diagnosed but I too went through it a few times, no intercourse for about a week. It was uncomfortable procedure but nothing awful, the HSG was worse for me ;) or maybe I am just getting old and my pain tolerance is lower lol!

None of us want that kind of diagnosis, but it really is ok. Best of luck t you!

My Ovulation Chart

Me: 41 DH: 46. We are TTC our 1st, started July '11,
    3 cycles clomid with Ob,
    1 cycle Tamoxifen with Ob,
    Diagnosed PCOS 11/5/12
    clomid, trigger & timed bd 12/12 BFN
    1st clomid IUI 1/4/13 BFN.
    2nd clomid IUI 2/13 cancelled didn't respond to clomid.
    3/15/13 scheduled laparoscopy & on bcp.

May 10 IUI from injectibles - BFN 

May 22 done with interventions it will either happen or it won't. 

February 2014 No longer actively trying, but not preventing. 

SURPISE BFP 4/2/2015!!!!!!!!!!

Miscarriage 4/23/15

• Loading the player...
  • I've had HPV for years (it lies dormant in the body) and it didn't prevent me from getting pg naturally, although it did take us a year (I was 38). I think the main issue is a decrease in cervical mucus after you have surgery on the cervix. But it probably won't come to that. Good luck!
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • I had a pap w/ abnormal cervical cells about 3 years ago, before I met H. Had the colposcopy, which led to a LEEP, and then I think two more colposcopies to follow up, I want to say 3 months apart, or maybe 6. The colposcopies were pretty minor, uncomfortable but quick-healing and I think she said no intercourse for a week after each (didn't have a partner at the time so didn't pay a lot of attention). The LEEP was a little bigger deal, no lifting >25 or 30# for 3-4wks after, and since my job requires lifting (RN), I had to be off work for close to a month, and I'm sure the intercourse ban was around the same time frame.

I got the all-clear to go back to yearly paps (but will always need annual ones, won't "graduate" out of them like they do these days who have normal paps until a certain age. Although I hadn't met my H yet, I did discuss what this meant re: conception, and she basically told me: cervical cancers from HPV are by nature quite slow-growing. If we were to still be dealing w/ this when time came to conceive, she said she'd halt the colposcopies and let me get pg, deliver, and then go back to treatment post-partum. Also, the LEEP shouldn't really have too much bearing on cervical integrity, though she said if they had to take a lot out of certain spots that there can be issues, which can be helped w/ frequent US and sometimes things like cerclage. Coninization is the next step past the LEEP and that is more likely to cause issues but even then, not impossible. Colposcopies shouldn't affect fertility. I think there can be some issues w/ changes in CM production but even that isn't insurmountable.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm with the PP, I had HPV for forever but my HPV resolved this past year!  I'm back to annual paps and all is good.  The coloscopy was nothing, and I'm a ninny.  The worst part was having the silver stuff (medicine they put on your cervix when they're done) come out a week later and I didn't know what it was!  I agree, the IF tests were much worse.  GL to you!!

me:40; DH:41; 4/30/12 1st visit with RE; 6/30/12 IUI #1 BFN; 7/19/12 IUI cancelled (overmedicated); 8/2/12 IUI cancelled (cyst); 9/1/12 IUI #2 BFP! EDD 5/28/13; 10/9/12 1st U/S at 7w3d--missed m/c (trisomy 16) D&C 10/19/12; karyotyping results normal!; 1/31/13 IUI #3 BFP! EDD 10/25/13 Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"