June 2012 Moms

Naps

I don't know if this has been asked lately, so I'm sorry. Um just curious cuz things changed here yet again.

How many naps is LO taking?
How long are the naps?
How much awake time does LO typically have between naps?
What's your situation i.e. SAH, daycare, nanny, etc.?

I've worked on naps pretty hard the past few months, going from him only napping on me, to nursing to sleep, swaddled in the crib, to now I can lay him down drowsy but awake most of the time, but we still use a couple different white noise things constantly. I know changes are a comin next week and I'm just trying to get an idea of what I may be in for. Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Naps

• Anja is just starting to sleep through the night. Her bedtime is 7:30 and she usually sleeps until 7. Because of this, her naps have become shorter. She usually takes a nap at 10. She'll nap anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour. Sometimes she'll take another nap, however her afternoon nap isn't as consistent. It may be anywhere from 1 pm to 4 pm. It's usually short, half hour or less.
  • LO still takes 3 naps.  He goes to bed around 7 and wakes up about 7.  His first nap is at 9 (45 min-1 1/2 hrs) and second is noon or 12:30 (2 hours).  Last one is at 4 for about 45-1 hour.  My DH stays home with him and then he comes to the preschool I teach at from 2-4 with me (DH goes to work then).  Good for you with how much you've done with naps!  I know how hard it is to work on them. DS1 was with me more during the day so I was the one working on them.  This time around DH did it and I was so thankful that he seemed to get him into a routine easier than I did the first time.  It can be frustrating.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • 2 naps - for a total of 3-4 hours.  Sometimes the morning nap is longer, sometimes the afternoon one.  It's the same when she's at home, grandma's, or DC.

Wake for the day 6:30/7

Nap 1 at about 9:30/10 - up by noon

Nap 2 down sometime between 2-3pm - up by 4

Bedtime at 7 

image   image

• imageseansgirl2006:
    LO still takes 3 naps.nbsp; He goes to bed around 7 and wakes up about 7.nbsp; His first nap is at 9 45 min1 1/2 hrsnbsp;and second is noon or 12:30 2 hours.nbsp; Last one is at 4 for about 451 hour.nbsp; My DH stays home with him and then he comes to the preschool I teach at from 24 with me DH goes to work then.nbsp; Good for you with how much you've done with naps!nbsp; I know how hard it is to work on them.nbsp;DS1 was with me more during the day so I was the one working on them.nbsp; This time around DH did it and I was so thankful that he seemed to get him into a routine easier than I did the first time.nbsp; It can be frustrating.

I'm slightly envious of the little napper you have.
  • DD naps great at home. She has 3 naps a day, usually about 1.5 hours around 8am (we get up at 5:30), 1 hour at around 11, then 45 minutes-1 hour around 3pm.

She doesn't nap at all at daycare. She will only do 15-20 minute cat naps a few times a day. She comes home absolutely exhausted. Luckily, she's only there 3 days a week. We're not really sure what to do about it.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I hate posting with my phone. Now that I'm on my computer I can explain our situation a little better. DS was taking 3 naps a day until almost 2 weeks ago.

Bedtime is around 7:30 and he wakes up between 7-8am, sometimes waking once to eat or STTN. His first nap is around 9 for up to 1.5 hours. From there I've really been using his awake time as a guide because when I was going by his cues it was already too late. His awake times have naturally extended, to about 2.5 hours. So anyway 2nd nap anywhere between 1-2pm for up to 1.5 hours.

Since he learned to stand in his crib, he also dropped his third nap. I keep trying around 5ish to get him down, because at that point he is obviously tired, but he just won't nap. So we just get him up, have some dinner, and start bath at 6:30, bottle (BM), and he's usually asleep by 7:30.

By that point he's been up for 4.5 hours or so and I'm wondering if we should just bump his bedtime up because of it. I also worry that his naps will completely go to crap at daycare, but at least he'll only be there from 8-3 at the latest, so hopefully I can get a decent nap out of him when we get home. We'll see.

• imageSamiantha101:
    imageseansgirl2006:
    LO still takes 3 naps.nbsp; He goes to bed around 7 and wakes up about 7.nbsp; His first nap is at 9 45 min1 1/2 hrsnbsp;and second is noon or 12:30 2 hours.nbsp; Last one is at 4 for about 451 hour.nbsp; My DH stays home with him and then he comes to the preschool I teach at from 24 with me DH goes to work then.nbsp; Good for you with how much you've done with naps!nbsp; I know how hard it is to work on them.nbsp;DS1 was with me more during the day so I was the one working on them.nbsp; This time around DH did it and I was so thankful that he seemed to get him into a routine easier than I did the first time.nbsp; It can be frustrating.
    I'm slightly envious of the little napper you have.

LOL  Your little girl's bedtime and wake up are the same as Owen's.  Have you thought about trying her first nap a little earlier?  Try her at 9 and see what happens.  If you get her down earlier and before she gets overtired, she will sleep so much better.  I really like the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child.  It has a lot of good info about naps.  The 9:00 nap is usually the first to develop and I believe the easier of the two day naps.  Owen will probably phase out the 3rd soon.  My first didn't need that one for too long.  As of now he can go without if he needs to.  Anyway, if you set up the two naps like this, one about 9 and the other about noon or 1, when the drop down to only one nap it will help.  They merge them both to a long one about noon.  This worked really well for us with DS1. 

Also, you said that she is just starting to sleep through the night.  This usually helps with naps too so she might start to nap better for you too. 

• On a typical weekday, DS wakes up at about 5:30 or 6:00. He is then up until about 8ish, when he goes down for his first nap, which lasts an hour, maybe two. He has been going down for a second nap a couple of hours later, and is asleep for an hour. He might take a third nap before I come home from work. If not, he usually goes down for the night around 6:00, though he might nurse around 10ish. (In the last week, however, he has been getting up a few more times in the evening and all freaking night long....)

His time between naps is usually about 2 hours, maybe 3 if we've been away from the house.

My mother watches him at our house while DH and I are at work.

• imageSamiantha101:
    Anja is just starting to sleep through the night. Her bedtime is 7:30 and she usually sleeps until 7. Because of this, her naps have become shorter. She usually takes a nap at 10. She'll nap anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour. Sometimes she'll take another nap, however her afternoon nap isn't as consistent. It may be anywhere from 1 pm to 4 pm. It's usually short, half hour or less.

This is exactly us. I have never pushed a schedule with my DD. Over time she developed her own and she is just starting to nap again. On a good day she takes 2 1 hour naps on a bad day 2 30 min naps and sleeps from 730 to 7. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Her first morning nap use to be around 930, and sometimes it would be 2 plus hour, but then again it could be 30 minutes. And then she started to sttn, for the most part, and her first nap is a outright fight. She'll cry for a good ten minutes, even if I'm patting her back or rocking her, when I put her down. I've found 10 is easier than 930. Also, she's been taking naps in her swing. It's horrible but true. She has absolutely zero issues with sleeping in her crib at night, but if I put her down in it during the day, she is up in nothing flat.
  • Ds3 gets up around 7-730am. First nap is when we get home from taking the bigs to preschool so around 930am. I allow him to sleep until 11am then wake him up bc I have to have him nap with the big ones or I will lose mind. All boys then go down around 145-2pm. Big boys have to stay in their beds for 2 hours and usually ds3 sleeps a good 1.5-2 hours as well. He goes to bed at 7pm. 

He is home with me.  

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageSamiantha101:
    Her first morning nap use to be around 930, and sometimes it would be 2 plus hour, but then again it could be 30 minutes. And then she started to sttn, for the most part, and her first nap is a outright fight. She'll cry for a good ten minutes, even if I'm patting her back or rocking her, when I put her down. I've found 10 is easier than 930. Also, she's been taking naps in her swing. It's horrible but true. She has absolutely zero issues with sleeping in her crib at night, but if I put her down in it during the day, she is up in nothing flat.

Yeah I would definiltey try her earlier then.  Naps are harder to work on than night time because they aren't quite as tired and can fight their sleep easier.  That's what I've read at least.  If she is fighting it that hard at 9:30, I would try to move it up. I know it sounds crazy, but it works. Same with bedtime. If bedtime is a struggle than usually moving it up works and they sleep longer.  When you find that perfect window (just getting sleepy but not over tired), they will lay down easily.  Sometimes it looks like Owen is not even tired at 9:00.  We put him down happy as can be.  He either plays for a few minutes and falls asleep or immediately rolls onto his side, grabs his lovey, and passes out right away.  I try not to wait until he's yawning or rubbing his eyes.  They say those are signs of being over tired and it's too late by then.

I know it's hard, but I would cut that swing stuff and try to let her practice in her bed, especially if she is doing it at night.  You've got to give her chances to practice at it or she will definitely prefer to be in her swing if that is what she is used to.  Maybe work on just the morning nap first. Not sure if you wanted my advice, but guess I'm giving it to you anyway. :)  I am really into sleep from reading so many books when I was losing my mind trying to get DS1 to sleep better.  I am by no means an expert, but we have two boys who are great sleepers so I think we must be doing something right!  lol

• My son is suddenly fighting naps.  I want to establish a schedule and I think he's finally ready. He goes down well at night and can sooth himself to sleep when he put him down drowsy so we know he can do it. He's still up 2-3 times at night but it is definitely hunger (he reverse cycles and doesn't eat much during day).

I do the am nap, DH does the afternoon while I am at work. My son cries when we put him down for naps but he's always out in less than 5 minutes.  The issue is he crawls all around the crib in that few minutes and ends up asleep with his head mashed against the rails and hands gripping them. Then wakes up 20-40 minutes later (end of a sleep cycle?) crying because he's still tired but can't sooth himself back to sleep because of his position.

Any ideas? Should I go get him at 30-40 minutes and hope he starts falling asleep in a better position as he gets more used to the fact that I mean business at nap time?  Let him cry again at that first wake-up and see if he moves (I don't think this will work)?  Move him at that first wake-up and leave the room again (this will lead to screaming)?  I am okay with a few minutes of crying at this point but anything more than that doesn't seem to work for my son. He's a dramatic little guy ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"