March 2012 Moms
Options

Annoyed - drugs

I recently found out that a good friend of mine who is due in March has been smoking pot to resolve her nausea that has gone on throughout her pregnancy.

She was a smoker before, and I just assumed she had quit while pregnant - stupid me. Then she went in for some tests and the baby was measuring small. I just point blank asked her if she was using and she said yes.

I told her she would never forgive herself if there was anything wrong with the baby but I don't think she took it in at all. 

Ugh! Don't they test for THC and that kind of stuff at the hospital when you deliver? 

I don't know, I'm just really annoyed. I'm not a pot smoker and I really don't understand how it could be worth it to risk your baby. 

Re: Annoyed - drugs

• Options

It can be very frustrating.

I was in a situation where my close friend and I were both pregnant. It was her second preganancy and my first. She smoked (cigs and pot) and drank during her pregnancy. It really put a wedge between us to begin with and then I miscarried we really grew apart. It really bothers me when people don't think about possible consequences.

FWIW her little guy is doing good. I'm happy for that at least.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I know how you feel! It's such a sh!tty situation to be in. My friend is a huge pot head. She always talked about if she ever had a baby she wouldn't know what to do with it because she just couldn't see her self changing diapers and cleaning up spit up. When she got pregnant she was kind of freaking out and slowly started getting excited about it around 25 weeks. She was still smoking cigarettes and pot during her pregnancy. She ended up going into premature labor at 28 weeks. She was so high that she didn't even go to her delivery hospital or call her dr. She was fully dilated and had an emergency c/s. They transported the baby to a children's hospital where they found he had a blood clot in his brain. After 3 days they had decided to pull the plug. She was told that the issues he was having were so bad that either he wouldn't make it or have severe brain damage.

It will be 2 years in May since she lost baby Jackson. She is about 8 weeks pregnant now and I have told her many times to please take care of her self. She keeps making comment like "if this baby makes it".. which really pisses me off! She is still smoking cigarettes because she hasn't been able to drop it cold turkey and according to her, her dr said it was ok to smoke a few as long as she is gradually cutting back. (I don't know if I believe that) I worry about her every day because I would hate to see something happen to a sweet innocent baby.

TTC#1 12/09
    LO #1 3/12
    TTC#2 9/12
    BFP #2 6/14 ended in CP
    BFP #3 12/14
    DX CCAM @ 20w
    Baby girl EDD 8/22/15

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wow! There was a woman who actually posted about smoking marijuana for morning sickness on the natural birth board the other day. I had never heard of this before that and disagree with it 100 percent!

When I hear about people doing stuff like this it literally hurts my heart. This is an innocent baby, that deserves so much better than this. There are so many people out there that want a child, who can't, but would do anything, including taking care of themselves and the unborn child. I lost two babies, and had the hardest time to get my DD, so when I hear this I get angry. I did everything right, but had two taken from me, and then there are people that can do so wrong, and have a baby, I don't get it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Zimger - I can't even imagine. I wouldn't have been able to maintain that friendship either. :( Even if she didn't mean to, it would still feel like she was tossing it in your face. I'm so sorry.

Kaleb87 - I think that is the part that needles me a little. I had to TRY to have DD, and we have several friends with losses. I find it hard to take her woes seriously when it if she were really concerned she would just quit! 

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I feel better just knowing others are equally horrified. 

• Options
    imagekclg10:

I know how you feel! It's such a sh!tty situation to be in. My friend is a huge pot head. She always talked about if she ever had a baby she wouldn't know what to do with it because she just couldn't see her self changing diapers and cleaning up spit up. When she got pregnant she was kind of freaking out and slowly started getting excited about it around 25 weeks. She was still smoking cigarettes and pot during her pregnancy. She ended up going into premature labor at 28 weeks. She was so high that she didn't even go to her delivery hospital or call her dr. She was fully dilated and had an emergency c/s. They transported the baby to a children's hospital where they found he had a blood clot in his brain. After 3 days they had decided to pull the plug. She was told that the issues he was having were so bad that either he wouldn't make it or have severe brain damage.

It will be 2 years in May since she lost baby Jackson. She is about 8 weeks pregnant now and I have told her many times to please take care of her self. She keeps making comment like "if this baby makes it".. which really pisses me off! She is still smoking cigarettes because she hasn't been able to drop it cold turkey and according to her, her dr said it was ok to smoke a few as long as she is gradually cutting back. (I don't know if I believe that) I worry about her every day because I would hate to see something happen to a sweet innocent baby.

believe it, a lot of Dr's would rather you cut back than quit cold turkey and put more stress on yourself and the baby. If you can cut back and not smoke the whole cigarette less chemicals pass through the filter. 

This topic reminds me of  religion and politics...when I can stand up and claim to be perfect I'll start pointing fingers at other people ..cos I remember how annoying we all found it when we were pregnant.
  • Options
    Selfish.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imagephancykat:
    imagekclg10:

Having suffered a similar loss, (without the drug use) I realize this statement may piss you off, but it is the mindset of a loss mother. It's an emotional defense mechanism. I didn't believe I was going to be able to bring B home until we were leaving the hospital, then after that I was worried sick for the first 6 months of his life, worried that he'd be torn away from me.

Thank you for sharing Kat and I hope all is well with you and yours :)

• Options
    imagephancykat:
    imagekclg10:

Having suffered a similar loss, (without the drug use) I realize this statement may piss you off, but it is the mindset of a loss mother. It's an emotional defense mechanism. I didn't believe I was going to be able to bring B home until we were leaving the hospital, then after that I was worried sick for the first 6 months of his life, worried that he'd be torn away from me.

Trust me, I do understand that. It's just hard to listen to when someone in her situation says it. 

TTC#1 12/09
    LO #1 3/12
    TTC#2 9/12
    BFP #2 6/14 ended in CP
    BFP #3 12/14
    DX CCAM @ 20w
    Baby girl EDD 8/22/15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"