Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Intro and A Couple of Questions

I used to lurk on this board while I was nursing DS but stopped once he was weaned.  I'm back now though and thought that I should intro!  My son is 20 months old, and I'm looking forward to posting here!

I do have a couple of questions...any tips for getting my son to let me brush his teeth?  His dentist doesn't want him using any toothpaste now (not even the fluoride-free), so that option is out.  He will sometimes put the toothbrush in for a few seconds, but he mostly likes to brush the sink instead...

Also, he used to love baths, but now he clings to the side of the tub and refuses to move.  He used to roam all over the tub and loved to splash the water, but now he will not move an inch.  He refuses to sit down either.  He did the same thing in the small pool in the backyard over the summer, though this behavior in the tub is recent.  I think that the shower might freak him out more as he freaks out when the faucet is running while he's in the tub.  Getting in with him doesn't seem to make him feel better, and he'll only play with toys that he can play with on the tub wall.  Any advice to get him to feel more safe in the tub?  TIA!

Re: Intro and A Couple of Questions

• What was the reason for the no toothpaste? We've always been encouraged to use it.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • imageAMcLaws:
    What was the reason for the no toothpaste? We've always been encouraged to use it.

He was concerned that DS would just eat it and not actually brush his teeth.  I guess that if I can't get DS interested in brushing his teeth without it, I will try it.  If there are other ways, though, I'd prefer to wait.  He didn't say that it was unhealthy or anything though.

• Loading the player...
  • Someone suggested this a while back, but brush his teeth when he is on the changing table.  We did this and my LO thought it was fun, but it worked.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I had been battling with DD since forever and finally last week i decided to kneel down in front of her and tell her to brush mine while i brushed hers and she went for it! Now we do it every night :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers imageimage
  • Did something happen while he was in the bath one time that he's so afraid now?

You may be surprised--he may like the shower.  Worth a shot.  Be sure you or DH are in there with him though or yes, it could be scary. 

For brushing, a game we do sometimes is "finding" stuff in his mouth--so I'll say "let's look for a tiger in your mouth"--and I pretend I'm looking while brushing his teeth and then say "woah.....did you see him run out of your mouth???"  and we do stuff like that.  I also try to "find" foods he's eaten that day.  LOL.  They both think it's funny (my youngest is also 20 mos).

Not to sound the alarm, but if the bath thing continues and pairing that with the toothbrushing---you may want to talk to the doc about sensory issues.  Perhaps he has sensory overload?  Sometimes the sounds can really make it worse and of course, touch.  Just something to consider only because we've gone through that with DS1.  Occupational therapy generally helps and just having sensory integration in the home.

Oh--and for the toothpaste--just put a dab on-and push it IN to the bristles--that way maybe he won't be so prone to just eating it.

• imageSandAndsSea:

DS loves brushing his teeth as long as he can hold the toothbrush.  So, I let him brush his while I brush mine then I help him actually brush them.  He makes me put water on it about 10 times, but it works and he loves it.

For the bath have you tried bubbles, books, toys, etc. to make it fun?  We also sing some bath songs (Rubber Ducky).  DS loves water though and has  no fear so I'm not much help.

I love everyone's ideas for the toothbrushing.  Thank you!

Sands, he does have a bunch of toys and bath books, and we do bubbles after he's all clean.  He enjoys the toys/bubbles, but he refuses to move from his spot.  If he drops a toy, he'll reach for it, but he won't even bend over to pick it up. 

• imagesmiling76:

Did something happen while he was in the bath one time that he's so afraid now?

You may be surprised--he may like the shower.  Worth a shot.  Be sure you or DH are in there with him though or yes, it could be scary. 

For brushing, a game we do sometimes is "finding" stuff in his mouth--so I'll say "let's look for a tiger in your mouth"--and I pretend I'm looking while brushing his teeth and then say "woah.....did you see him run out of your mouth???"  and we do stuff like that.  I also try to "find" foods he's eaten that day.  LOL.  They both think it's funny (my youngest is also 20 mos).

Not to sound the alarm, but if the bath thing continues and pairing that with the toothbrushing---you may want to talk to the doc about sensory issues.  Perhaps he has sensory overload?  Sometimes the sounds can really make it worse and of course, touch.  Just something to consider only because we've gone through that with DS1.  Occupational therapy generally helps and just having sensory integration in the home.

Oh--and for the toothpaste--just put a dab on-and push it IN to the bristles--that way maybe he won't be so prone to just eating it.

He did fall in the tub a few months back.  I was standing right there, and he wasn't hurt.  He fell backwards and was obviously freaked out.  He also hates it when the water runs into his face when I'm rinsing his hair (I even use a wet washcloth to try to minimize the amount of falling water).  I've been wondering if either of these is the cause, but wouldn't the reaction have been more immediate?  

Good ideas for the brushing and toothpaste!  Thanks! 

• imageJMU_Bride09:

imageAMcLaws:
    What was the reason for the no toothpaste? We've always been encouraged to use it.

He was concerned that DS would just eat it and not actually brush his teeth.  I guess that if I can't get DS interested in brushing his teeth without it, I will try it.  If there are other ways, though, I'd prefer to wait.  He didn't say that it was unhealthy or anything though.

That makes sense. I was just curious. My DD loves to brush her teeth. So I can't help :
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • imageAMcLaws:
    imageJMU_Bride09:

imageAMcLaws:

That makes sense. I was just curious. My DD loves to brush her teeth. So I can't help :

That's awesome :)  DS used to let me when I first started and is now protesting.  He keeps me guessing ;) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"