Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Too much weight gained

My LO was 6 lb 5 oz at birth.  At her 1 month appt she was 8 lb 11oz.  Now at 2 months 11 lb 11 oz.  She is FF and eats about 30 ounces in a day which they said was fine.  But the nurse actually re-weighed her because she didn't think it was accurate the first time.  By their actions and calling her a 'big girl' I assume that's too much weight gain? I obviously don't want her to be unhealthy.  Anyone else's LO have significant weight gain? She'll be on a diet with her mom :-)

Re: Too much weight gained

• Options
    Do not limit your lo's intake. She's perfectly healthy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Just like the PP posters don't worry about it.  There are some babies that are small/average/ and big.  My son is 2 months old and its probably about 12lbs.  He is a big baby.  His twin brother is 9lbs  My daughter when she was born was always a smaller child and still is.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    My ds is ebf . Birth weight 8 14 , at 1 month visit yesterday he weighed 11 lbs 1 oz. Every baby is different , don't worry ,
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Some babies are big, some are small! Usually evens out in the end. Don't worry!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My daughter is just shy of 8 weeks and is 13 lbs.  She is ebf so I have no idea how much she eats in a day.   My son was also a big baby, I remember being so upset when he was a few months old by his size ( my MIL kept hinting that she was worried he was going to have a weight problem).  Now at 2 years old he has stretched out and I sometimes worry he is too thin :-).  As long as their height and weight are somewhat corresponding ( ie) you don't want to be in the 25th for height and 90th for weight), then don't worry.  Enjoy having a healthy baby.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    DD was born at 6 lbs 6 oz.  She gained pretty quick also and at 1 month was 9 lbs 5 oz which the doc said was 50th percentile.  I didn't have a 2 month appointment, but at 3 months she was 13 lbs 3 oz, which is a little over 50th percentile.  I wouldn't worry if I were you, your LO is fine, trending just like mine.
  • Options

imagemabenner1:
    Do not limit your lo's intake. She's perfectly healthy.

This. Too much emphasis is put on children's weight, and it's not fair to start your LO on that path now. If your doctor isn't worried, then you shouldn't be. 

EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • Options

Don't limit her intake.  She's fine.  My DD was over the 97th% for weight starting her 1 month appointment.  She was a perfectly average 7lb8oz.  She's a tall (over 97th% for height) slender 3 year old now.  It works out.

Then there's DS ;-)  He's 85% for weight and only 40th% for height LoL.  Short but broad little boy.  

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    DS1 was 10lbs at birth and gained healthily and steadily. DS2 is now 6 weeks, weighed 13 lbs last week and was 9lb 3oz at birth. Please don't worry about an infants weight. As long as your baby is trending on the curve, she is doing great.
    image pregnancy calendar Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If it was a problem your pedi would have explicitly told you that. My kids were all "big" - my first daughter was always 90th percentile weight and 70th height, but she has always stayed consistent. Now she's three and tall and skinny, but still very healthy. DS was born 9lbs 15oz, and left the hospital two days later at 10lbs 6oz... Only kid I know who didn't lose weight in the hospital! They eat what they need to grow... Kids don't need diets, they need healthy eating habits and to be offered nutritional foods when they're old enough for solids, etc.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    COBCOB member
    My son is ebf, he was 6.12 at birth and 11.2 pounds at 6 weeks. I am not worried at all! 
  • Options
    Our pedi has laughed at DD's weight gain. She is ebf, but gained rapidly in the beginning. At her 2 month appt, she was 95th percentile for weight and height. 13lbs. The pediatrician was happy with her growth, and there was absolutely no way she would tell be to limit her feedings.

Your baby doesn't know much right now, but it knows when it's hungry. Feed it. It will stop eating when it isn't hungry or get rid of the excess...I wouldn't make that kind of silly judgement call. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My DS has gone from 9 lbs 6 oz when we left the hospital, to 10 lbs 10 oz at 2 weeks, to 13 lbs 4 oz at 1 month -- and they thought that was fine.

Your LO is healthy and eating well. She is perfect.

I delight in my pudgy babies. I know that means they are healthy and happy and content. DD was always huge (born 10 lbs 9 oz), but once she started walking, all that weight melted off, and she is now actually pretty skinny -- I can see her ribs.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks all for your feedback. I was kidding about putting her on a diet : She's my kid so I know she likes to eat just like her mom and every other woman in our family haha. Yes I guess I just didn't like the way the nurse acted about her weight gain. Oh well whatever!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"