Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Tummy Sleeping?

My 10 week old baby has started rolling over. All last night he kept rolling himself onto his tummy and sleeping that way. I was up all night flipping him back over. I know that older babies will sometimes roll themselves onto their tummys but he is only 10 weeks old. Is it safe for him to sleep this way? What an I do to prevent it?

Re: Tummy Sleeping?

• Options
    There is a peice of equipment created to keep them on their back.  If the child doesn't have good head control they may turn their head to face the mattress and potentially smother themselves.  DD did this a lot and would only sleep with her head partially towards the mattress.  No matter what I did, turned her head, turned her on her back she would somehow figure out how to get back into her position. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    He does have excellent neck strength. He has no issues holding his head up but it still worries me. I tried keeping him propped on his back with a wedge but he scoots away from it.  I will call his Dr tomorrow. Thank you
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagekirstinm91:
    He does have excellent neck strength. He has no issues holding his head up but it still worries me. I tried keeping him propped on his back with a wedge but he scoots away from it.  I will call his Dr tomorrow. Thank you

I completely understand your worry, but I'll be devil's advocate here; remember, a LOT of kids sleep on their tummies, and have for a long time, and have been fine. I think that if your LO is putting himself there on his own, and if he has good head control, you could let him sleep that way. I would watch him sometime while he naps or something to see if he does actually turn his head around; it might give you some piece of mind.  

EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • Options
    imageRissKay:

imagekirstinm91:

I completely understand your worry, but I'll be devil's advocate here; remember, a LOT of kids sleep on their tummies, and have for a long time, and have been fine. I think that if your LO is putting himself there on his own, and if he has good head control, you could let him sleep that way. I would watch him sometime while he naps or something to see if he does actually turn his head around; it might give you some piece of mind.  

this. 

• Options
    Thank you. I did watch him during his naps and he does turn his head alot, He moves it from side to side. He definitely prefers sleeping on his tummy and sleeps really well that way. I have heard so many horror stories, it makes it hard for me to be comfortable with him sleeping on his tummy. I guess I will have to get used to it lol.
  • Options
    imageRissKay:

imagekirstinm91:

Totally agree with this.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageRissKay:

imagekirstinm91:

This

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I think my SIL used to use a sleep sack and that made it harder for her son to roll over.  If you LO is using his legs for momentum it might make it harder for him to flip.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"