Babies on the Brain
Options

What would you do?

My SIL isn't my biggest fan for many reasons. She is due within a few weeks. My MIL is throwing her a baby shower (This isn't her 1st) and well I wont be attending because of a trip already planned, would you at least get her a giftcard or something? The "Aunt" part of me says I should but the "SIL" part of me says I don't care to. What would you do? I know I should be the bigger person, but its hard when your now related to a person who thinks shes owed everything :/

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers Trying to Conceive Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: What would you do?

• Options
    Yes you should. It's not your niece or nephews fault you and their mom don't get along. The gift is for the niece/nephew.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • Options
    It would get something small and functional. Nothing frivolous or cute.
    Little Slick
    Born 6.26.10
    Forever a Family 11.26.12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'd totally get her what I got her for the last pregnancy, just in case she forgot. Otherwise something small and practical (box of diapers, or sippy cups, etc)
    "What are you having?" "Well the radiologist says its a healthy little human baby. I'm a little disappointed, because I really wanted a puppy." LOL
  • Options

Please still get your niece or nephew something.  Like PP said, it's not their fault that you and their mother don't get along.  

Baby showers, and the gifts that often are attached to it, are to celebrate a baby, IMO.  Not for the mom or dad. 

• Options
    if it was me, I probably would get something for her.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    3TC March Siggy Challenge: Funny Internet Meme Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Age: Me 26, DH 27, Married Oct. 10, 2009 ,TTC since March 2012
    Problem: Irregular menstruation, unexplained
    Nov&Dec-Provera because of no period after 35+ days
    First RE appt 1/10/2013
    Tests: TSH (normal), Prolactin (normal), SA (abnormal)
    Hysteroscopy (normal) and PCOS labs (negative/normal) 1/15/2013
    2/1/13- HPT BFP but Beta Hcg was negative
    Plan: Femara + Trigger + IUI in April if no real BFP before then Bloggy Blog!
  • Options
    Be the bigger person. You and her may not get along but that has nothing to do with your new niece/nephew. My brother and I butt heads a lot/don't see eye-to-eye, but I still spoil the crap out of my niece.
  • Options

imageCourtimilk:
    I'd totally get her what I got her for the last pregnancy, just in case she forgot. Otherwise something small and practical (box of diapers, or sippy cups, etc)

Around here second baby showers are pretty common, and I dont think there's anything wrong with them (unpopular opinion, maybe). I mean I think the gifts should be more along the lines of cute outfits, diapers, etc, instead of big ticket items, but still.

Anyway, OP, I would be the bigger person and send a gift for the baby.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Give the baby a gift, it's not about you and her, it's about the baby

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    I don't get how this is even a question. Be a good Aunt and don't let your personal relationship interfere with your relationship with your niece/nephew. Get a gift for the baby, and kill her with kindness when you give it to her.
    Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • Options

Absolutely.

Even if she's not your biggest fan, I am a firm believer in being the bigger person.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"