Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Letting baby go to sleep unswaddled?

I've swaddled my DD since she was born. I have tried a few times in the past month of letting her sleep unswaddled because she is beginning to hate being swaddled. She gets mad she cant move her arms and fights to break free. She will be 3 months tomorrow. I would be more then happy to let her go to sleep unswaddled but the problem is she can't on her own. Every time I have tried she just sits in her crib and cries. When she is swaddled she will go right to sleep no fuss. Any tips on getting her to sleep without it?

Re: Letting baby go to sleep unswaddled?

• Options
    Keep swaddling. We swaddle till 6 months.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Maybe try a sleep sack. It could be that she likes the extra warmth. My LO hated being swaddled so not sure but now that it's colder she loves the sleep sack.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I ordered a zipadeezip.  It's a weird looking sleep suit that helps with the transition. My son is 6 months old and has been swaddled since he was born.  I've tried to put him in a regular sleep sack and that didn't work at all.  Got the zipadeezip a few days ago and he is able to sleep.  I was pretty skeptical, but it actually works!  I've read some people try the Magic sleep suit too.  

Good luck! 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

We took LO's lead. We started doing 1 arm out so that she wouldn't struggle so much but could still sleep and not startle awake. Then during the day I started to leave both out. After naps with arms out were going well I did that at night, now she sleeps great with no swaddle. i would have left her swaddled longer but she just hated it and struggled until she got them out anyway and then they were all at weird angles and I felt her arms must hurt.

*we still wrap her in it though for warmth and just wrap the "arm part" around her middle. Come christmas LO has some sleep sacks coming :) 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I was swaddling my DD for about the first month or two, but she would always want her arms out so we would leave them out.  However, then I found she couldn't get comfortable during the night and would keep scootching around.  Sometimes she would move so much she would slide her diaper down (even if I thought it was on snug) and then would wake up b/c she had an accident.  I eventually took the swaddle away and she loved it because she could move her legs and kick and get comfortable on her own.  Now that it's cold I have her in sleep sacks for the extra warmth, but it still lets her kick her legs up or spread them apart.  Since I don't have experience with the other transitional swaddles, I'd say try a sleep sack.  Hope that whatever you try helps!  Here's to happy sleeping! Sleep
  • Options
    I've read to do one arm at a time. However, we haven't unswaddled DS because I need my sleep, lol. I'll do it when I start working less.
    A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• Options
    We fully swaddled until around 21 weeks. Then we started swaddling one or both arms out (depending on her mood. Fighty? 1 arm out. Happy? Both arms out.) just keeping that body tightly swaddled. We moved to sleep sacks this week (24 weeks). No muss, no fuss.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We would get DS to "almost sleep" by keeping his arms down so he couldn't startle as badly (he was breaking out of them at 3 weeks and just flat out refused them and I didn't want the blanket to end up on his face in the middle of the night). Then, when he was super sleepy we'd put him in his crib. He would move around a bit and then fell asleep. It was about a week of transition, but totally worth it. He falls asleep without a swaddle and is SSTN.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• Options

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• Options