Parenting after 35
Options

To continue with the "feeling old" theme...

What happened to civility and manners? I, of course, am not talking about this board at all but many of the boards on here can get pretty horrible. I just don't understand why it is suddenly considered perfectly OK and entertaining to be nasty to others. I usually see it on the internet but sometimes in public too. It makes me sad.
image"width="200px"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: To continue with the "feeling old" theme...

• Options

Which is why I stay out of the nonsense Smit.  :)  As a matter of fact, I came to this parenting over 35 board for the first time today hoping for a little less crazy.  

• Options
    imageBeesMomma00:

Which is why I stay out of the nonsense Smit.  :)  As a matter of fact, I came to this parenting over 35 board for the first time today hoping for a little less crazy.  

I have not seen any crazy over here. I am not too hot on the flaming (no pun intended) and I like being able to have discussions/opinions without nastiness. It isn't just on TB though. There was a lack of civility and manners in Costco this weekend. Embarrassed

image"width="200px"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The only crazy you'll see around here is when someone forgets to take their meds.

Or mentions Duran Duran!

(seeing who's paying attention!)

BB

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Agreed.  I am way too old to be "cool" by Bump standards, and way too old to care that I am not.  :)

I think people have forgotten how to relate to each other in real life.  At the office my phone almost never rings.  I will get email all day long from colleagues who sit a few feet away from me.  It is weird.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Seriously, tho, I don't think it's an age thing, I think it's more of an entitlement thing.   "I am entitled to my opinion and if you don't agree, you are the dumb one."  There is no more tolerance for anyone who thinks differently than yourself.

This past election proved that many, many people do not know how to debate a controversial topic with civility and grace and respect.  When someone challenges their believes, they instantly take it as a personal affront to their intelligence.   That's when things usually turn ugly and juvenile.

IMHO, of course.

• Options
    That is a good point that it may not be an age thing as much as it is an era or entitlement thing. I try to stay out of those things on the internet and IRL but sometimes I get sucked into it nonetheless.
  • Options
    Yup, I get that these boards are for entertainment as much as commiseration, but I just don't find being mean for the sake of it very entertaining.
  • Options
    It's not just the bump.  This seems to be a recurring theme on many social networking sites.  There are several people I follow on IG for fitness inspiration...and am absolutely floored by some of the comments made on pictures.  When I look at the offender's profile, it seems they are typically teenagers are not very far removed from it at all.  On the bump, nest and knot...I'm not quite sure why it is...other than it does seem to be the norm that whenever there is a large group of women, cattiness is sure to ensue.
  • Options

It's not just an age thing. I know some pretty young bumpies that have their sh!t toether. I also know some 30 something bumpies that in a normal thread sound like a spoilt 16 year old. The entitled ones stand out loud and clear and obscure the "normal" ones.

Also, if you watch some of the stickier threads, you can usually tell if its heading that way. Even at the OP - and this reaction is appropriate ::headdesk:: whether you post it or you think it. I still can't believe some of the things people ask. Occasionally I'm tempted to answer "Are you serious, or is this mud? If you're serious, you need help." Or, "Duct tape. It's the solution for everything. Or abrupt one word answers. I haven't done it yet. Yes, I'm a chicken.

• Options
    imagesmit5009:
    What happened to civility and manners? I, of course, am not talking about this board at all but many of the boards on here can get pretty horrible. I just don't understand why it is suddenly considered perfectly OK and entertaining to be nasty to others. I usually see it on the internet but sometimes in public too. It makes me sad.
    I love your siggy. I <3 Sheldon Cooper.
  • Options

imagegimmietimmies:
    imagesmit5009:
    I love your siggy. I <3 Sheldon Cooper.

Thanks! I am a huge Sheldon/Big Bang Theory fan! I like to change my siggy every so often with new Sheldon quotes.

It is so nice to hear everyone's input on this and everyone has made some very valid points. Some days I think I am just being old and crabby, other days I think it is an age thing, and I do often think that a lot of the people feel entitled. I have to admit though that we have undergrad and grad students in the 20-25 age range that are extremely together and polite. I have also met many older people who behave badly. I guess some people just aren't polite regardless of their age.

• Options

I can't get on TB very often, but this is the only board I visit.  Never really felt like I fit in on the other boards.  Seemed like too many people wanted to create drama.  I am definitely not looking for that when I am online.  Even though I don't visit often I definitely like the vibe of this board.

• Options
    I have seen the nastiness. I don't get it either.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Options

I see it a lot on the internet because people have the anonymity of being behind a computer monitor and unfortunately that attitude is starting to carry over into real life. It's so disappointing to see the way people act around here. You'd think all these women would want to stick together and help each other through the trials and tribulations of pregnancy. Instead sometimes it seems to all turn into a trainwreck.

One of the things that made me fall in love with my husband was when I met his son and he had the most amazing manners. He shakes your hand and tells you it's nice to meet you when greeting someone for the first time and uses please and thank you religiously.

Hopefully all of us AMA moms will teach our children the beauty of being kind and gracious to fellow people. ::crosses fingers::

• Options
    I agree with Helgafunk. I think the anonymity of the internet can bring out the nasty tendencies in some people.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"