Parenting after 35

Finally saw Les Mis last night!

Before I launch into my review.... anyone else see it yet?  What'd ya think???

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Finally saw Les Mis last night!

• Saw it with my dad and BFF a couple weeks ago and were all blubbing like babies. Not as moving as stage show but still awesome. Well, everything but Crowe was awesome.
  • See, now I knew I'd be the dissenter here.  Would you really be surprised if I wasn't??? HA!

I generally love anything RC does.  Was he flat in this? Yep.  But Javert is supposed to be stoic and icy and emotionless, right?  RC is certainly no trained singer, either, but I think he did okay.  Not great, but okay.  He was up against some pretty amazing performances by "real" singers.  I can't think of another A-list actor who'd be able to do this role justice, either.  I guess I can cut him a bit of slack.  Still love the guy!

Did not care for the kid who played Marius.. at all.  Blasphemy, I know.  My girlfriends nearly ran me outta the theater when I said that.  I just didn't find him attractive or appealing.. too pale and pasty looking.  Maybe he just wasn't my type!

AH and HJ were phenominal.. no surprise there.  So was Samantha Barks (Eponine).. she did it on Broadway so she's used to the role... but still fabulous.  Loved her dimples.    Amanda S (Cosette) was okay.. nothing too special.    Took me until nearly tne end to figure out it was Helena Bohnam Carter.  Didn't realize it was Sasha Baron Cohen until the credits... loved both of them.

• Loading the player...
  • I really liked it, but agree that RC was just ok in the singing arena.  I thought AH was great.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagefredalina:
    Marius... like I said, I thought he was too pale. In fact one of the ancillary revolutionaries LOOKED like a much better Marius. But his voice is sweet perfection.

That young man in the red jacket.. the leader of the revolutionists... who looked like a young Heath Ledger with the curly blonde hair???? Yeah... he was definitely more yummy!   I just wanted Marius to get himself some Chapstick or something.  :)

And "Master or the House" was great.. the film really needed a little levity at that point, even tho the vast majority was so dark and depressing.

As for accents... after the fact, it started to irk me that most of the actors had British type accents when it was supposed to be in France.   Kinda like when Kevin Costner attempted to be Robin Hood with an American accent and his little man scarves... really didn't work for me!  I agree with you on SBC's accent.... he was all over the place.  Glad he was only a smaller role or it would have bugged me more.

• I seriously wished the guy who played Enjolras (the leader of the revolutionaries) got the part of Marius.  "Marius" voice was a little froggy but still good.  Ann H and "Eponine" were spectacular.  Russell Crowe and Amanda Seyfried=wah wah.   

Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • Re: the Marius criticisms. I actually think he did okay, but someone on another board said he "sounded like Kermit the Frog." I liked him, but the Kermit comparison isn't entirely baseless :P
  • I have not seen this version of it yet but I did see the 1998 film and I loved it! I really want to go see this version but we have not had a chance yet. DH and I are keeping our fingers crossed that daycare has another Parent's Night Out soon so we can go see if before it is off-screen.
    image"width="200px"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • LOVED IT!!! HJ and AH were phenomenal and had me crying nearly everytime they sang.  RC was good acting wise, but his voice wasn't powerful enough for Javert.  I've seen the play a few times and that character is always powerful and gets across the obsession with Jean Val Jean way better than RC did.  I felt like if you weren't familiar with the play you wouldn't really understand him at the end.  Loved Enjolras and actually really liked Marius.  I have actually never liked a Marius that I've seen (character, not actor).  I always thought it was such a wimpy character, but this guy didn't make him as wimpy and I really liked him.  His Empty Chairs and Empty Tables was my favorite.
  • imagefredalina:
    "Froggy"?????? What is this heresy?
    Not my words. I was simply saying that I could see how that poster could hear something Kermitty in Marius' voice.
  • imageaurora1974:
    LOVED IT!!! HJ and AH were phenomenal and had me crying nearly everytime they sang.  RC was good acting wise, but his voice wasn't powerful enough for Javert.  I've seen the play a few times and that character is always powerful and gets across the obsession with Jean Val Jean way better than RC did.  I felt like if you weren't familiar with the play you wouldn't really understand him at the end.  Loved Enjolras and actually really liked Marius.  I have actually never liked a Marius that I've seen (character, not actor).  I always thought it was such a wimpy character, but this guy didn't make him as wimpy and I really liked him.  His Empty Chairs and Empty Tables was my favorite.
    ITA. Because I was iffy on his voice I was worried but thought he did a really good job with it.
  • Overall, I thought it was well done.

Hugh Jackman was fantastic. Anne Hathaway brought such a depth of emotion, but musically I thought her voice sounded strained on the high notes, almost as if she was screeching. Eponine was fabulous. SBC and HBC played their parts well.

I actually didn't mind Russell Crow(e). It would have seemed out of character for Javert to be overly emotional or animated. I also liked Marius. At first I thought he wasn't handsome enough for the part, but his young, fresh face and voice range quickly won me over. Amanda S. did as much with the part as could be done, because I don't think the stage production really makes Cosette's role stand out either.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"