January 2013 Moms
Options

MIL vent

Since the birth of my son, my mother in law has taken it upon her to schedule visits with us for her friends to come over and meet him. I have tried to say that day does not work or we want my family to meet him first but it's not setting in.
My aunt, whom I am very close to asked if she can visit on Sunday. mil is mad because that's when her friends were supposed to visit. I told her sorry, plans change, she is my family And it's hard to please everyone and all she said was "I'll see if they can change days" not ok or I understand. Wtf why isn't she understanding???
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: MIL vent

• Options
    That really sucks!  Im so sorry that she's not being understanding and trying to act like she's in charge!  I'd just keep standing your ground!  

Married 5/2/09 To my best friend 
    Lillianna Faith Born 8/26/10- My big girl kindergartner!
    Peach- MC 3/2012
    Logan Christopher Born 2/3/13- My little fighter, cardiac defects, 2 cancer scares and more surgery, tests, MRIs, cat scans, xrays than most people would have to face their whole life.   

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I think this is TOTALLY INAPPROPRIATE! So many boundaries are being crossed here! This is YOUR baby and YOUR time to be a new family. This is not 'show and tell' for your MIL.I'd try and set these boundaries now or she'll be 'scheduling time for her to come over any time she pleases and that's not okay either.

Where does your SO stand on the issue? I fully feel that he should back you up on this. It's his mom and he needs to be firm with her.

You could also blame the pediatrician. Mine told me NO ONE but close family was to visit or be around baby until 2 months of age when she could get her first round of vaccines. Whooping cough and flu are too bad this year to play 'pass the baby'. God, I'm so fired up and pissed off for you!!

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My husband is being great and we are both on the same page; however, she has since stopped asking me about visits and is asking him now. It's kind of like when mom says no and the kids ask dad. It's so infuriating. I don't like the position she is putting DH in.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Why do so many MILs have boundary issues?! My MIL seems to think anything goes as a grandma and she is very mistaken.

If I were you, I would maybe just be like, "Oh yeah, they can come on March 15th..." That should open up a conversation about why you don't want a bunch of random people, aka germs, coming into contact with LO just yet. I'm sure your pedi would back you up too.

• Options
    imagenattn:

Why do so many MILs have boundary issues?! My MIL seems to think anything goes as a grandma and she is very mistaken.

If I were you, I would maybe just be like, "Oh yeah, they can come on March 15th..." That should open up a conversation about why you don't want a bunch of random people, aka germs, coming into contact with LO just yet. I'm sure your pedi would back you up too.

DH and I were just talking about his mother and boundaries last night. New babies can bring out some really selfish behavior.

Now is the time to stand up to MIL and don't let her walk all over you. I'm not sure what your relationship was like pre-baby, but don't let her set this precedent of acting on her own accord without regard to you. It might be a little awkward, but she'll get over it. 

• Options

The first day my MIL came to visit...she said where's "My Baby" and was talking about setting up "My nursery"

Talk about RED FLAGS.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"