Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

6mo cries hysterically when I put her on changing pad

This just recently started the last week or so. My 6mo old has always been a little fussy when changing her clothes, but now it's started any time I put her down on the mat to even change her diaper. I know she's upset because she knows she's probably going to have her nose cleaned out, face/neck washed etc. But I can't help that we've got to do these things.

However! When her dad puts her on there, even changes her clothes she just grins and laughs at him. What gives? What am I doing wrong? It's so upsetting because I try to sing and tickle and play with her but she's just a hysterical mess. 

Any tips on what I can do to change this? I'm the one who primarily takes care of her grooming. She even cried last night (for the first time) when I bathed her. That's never happened before. It's so upsetting.  

Re: 6mo cries hysterically when I put her on changing pad

• Options
    our DD is going through a phase where she screams bloody murder when we change her diapers. I change her on the floor now because its easier. She tries to roll or crawl away so I have to pin her down with one of my legs while i wrestle a diaper onto her. i think she just gets frustrated with having to hold still, all she wants to do these days is crawl and stand up. If i sing to her, sometimes that helps. I thinks its purely a temper tantrum that shes not getting what she wants, and as soon as i let her go shes happy as can be. maybe your LO is just going through a phase : )  Maybe try breaking up her grooming throughout the day instead of trying to do it all at once so she doesnt get so fussy.
  • Options
    I sing the alphabet song to her and put something in hands to keep her attention.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    What's a changing table? ;) lol My daughter has always hated when I change her clothes. She flails all over the place. She wants to dance, scream, wave her arms, put her feet in her poop... It's quite the process. I always change her on the floor now. She likes it a lot more and I feel more safe when she doesn't have any way to fall. It does make changing her diaper in public difficult though!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'm in the same boat ... DS hates when I change his diaper, has a ball when DH is doing it! I asked DH how he made it fun. He said, just make it fun. Make silly faces. Toss the (cloth) diaper on baby's head. Sing a silly song. Play with him!

I realized that I had become rather workmanlike during diaper changes. So I'm working to change that! LOL

• Options

My LO does this sometimes as well. I think he just doesn't like not being able to see his surroundings - he is the most curious baby of all time.

I give him one of his bath toys to play with and this has helped distract him. Then I just have to fly like the wind to get his diaper changed and clothes on!

Eats childproof locks for breakfast...image

• Options

I agree with pp, try giving lo a toy to distract. I went through the exact same thing and a toy really helps.

Maybe try doing the things she hates (nose sucking) somewhere else for a change?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"