Oregon Babies

Free or low-cost prenatal care in Portland?

I'm 8 weeks with no healthcare. I've just applied for Oregon Health Plan but don't have my appt with a caseworker until the end of the month. Who knows how long it will be after that before I can actually get in to see a doctor. I'm high risk (age and weight) and I want to have more prenatal care than vitamins and Google. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks! :) 

Re: Free or low-cost prenatal care in Portland?

• Google Oregon Mothers Care. It is run by the state but they help expedite the OHP process and give you a lot of info. I spoke to a caseworker through them and had an interview over by St. Vincent Hospital. It as way better than dealing with the DHS office. Good luck :) 

• I would call Planned Parenthood and see if they can help you, if not, they might know of resources
  • Loading the player...
  • https://www.oregon.gov/oha/OPHP/OMIP/Pages/faqs.aspx

Check this out. There is a 6 month wait period before benefits are paid, but if you act quickly then you likely will at least have deliver covered. Also, there are clinics that operate on a sliding scale for lower incomes.

You also might want to consider going with a midwifery clinic. There are many in Portland and their fees for prenatal care as well as delivery, are much much lower than doctors and a hospital delivery. Alma Midwifery in SE does home birth but they also have a birthing center.

Good luck! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"