2nd Trimester
Options

Rib pain

I'm 25 weeks. I woke up Sunday thinking I slept wrong. I felt some rib pain on my right side nothing too bad. Well the pain hasn't gone away and has become worse. I thought maybe because the baby has been very active and favors my right side, he was just beating me up!

I called my doctor today and they had me come in. In a nut shell said that as the baby and myself are getting bigger the uterus is pushing up and squishing the ribs. The liver etc is also moving. Not to be concerned the baby is fine, the muscles in between the ribs are bruised and aggravated. He said it will heal, but could happen again. It gets worse at night and I'm not sure why. It hurts to touch, move, deep breathes. I have read this is very common, especially in smaller woman. Anybody on here experience this? Does it go away?

Re: Rib pain

• Options
    I had this with my last pregnancy and it did go away while I was on bed rest toward the end of my pregnancy. I found that putting a rolled-up heating pad on that area helped immensely.
  • Options
    It gets worse at night because of the consistent pressure and weight you are applying by lying down [on your sides]. I experienced this with my first, along with the fact that my daughter loved to wedge her head into my hip and push her little feet up inside my ribs with all her might! Yikes! My doctor had me get a band that wrapped around my ribs and secured with velcro. Kinda' like a rib girdle.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Lol yes it does feel worse since Sunday. Going on day four now with no change. Everything I do even the easiest simplest things are uncomfortable. I hope you start to feel better also. 

• Options

I had horrific rib pain with DD, though not until much later. (I was just barely starting to show at 25 weeks.) I carried high with her and that's just where she kicked. 

Part of the joys of pregnancy and all.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"