Special Needs
Options

SPD kids who are underresponsive--what helps?

My DD is sensory underresponsive. We started a new group class with her. The first 45 minutes is more free play (with a few short activities) with lots of climbing apparatus with the parents present. The last 45 minutes the kids separate from parents, do some floortime therapy, circle time, have a snack, and it's done.

In the latter half of the class, she does great with the routine, has great eye contact, listens well and plays appropriately. In the first half, the room and environment is just overstimulating for her and she shuts down. She is nonresponsive to her name/instructions and sits there with her thumb in her mouth the whole time.

Any tips to get her out of it?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: SPD kids who are underresponsive--what helps?

• Options

We are just starting to explore this route with my DS but have you thought about a weighted vest? We tried one with my DS last week and I was amazed about how much more focused he was and how much better he handled his environment ( I hope that makes sense!) 

Also has your OT started a brushing schedule with her? I try to time brushing right before therapy or when I think my DS might be overwhelmed and it really helps him!

That class sounds awesome by the way! My DS is starting a group class at a sensory gym through EI next week and I am so excited to see how he does with it! 

DS1: 4/15/2011
    Dx: ASD, SPD and receptive and expressive speech delay at 21 months
    BFP #2: CP 5/2012
    DS2: 4/24/2013
    BFP #4: Miscarriage at 5 weeks 7/2014
    BFP #5: 8/8/2014 Due 4/20/2015 
    Its a healthy girl!!!!! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imagemommy0411:

We are just starting to explore this route with my DS but have you thought about a weighted vest? We tried one with my DS last week and I was amazed about how much more focused he was and how much better he handled his environment ( I hope that makes sense!) 

Also has your OT started a brushing schedule with her? I try to time brushing right before therapy or when I think my DS might be overwhelmed and it really helps him!

That class sounds awesome by the way! My DS is starting a group class at a sensory gym through EI next week and I am so excited to see how he does with it! 

The weighted vest worked well for organizing my hyperactive child--it seems to have zero effect on her.

We haven't started a brushing schedule yet but will definitely ask my OT about it next visit. Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"