Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Dog Problems!

Hey Ladies, 

We have a one year old black lab. She is great with the baby. She checks on him if he is crying and will always look for him if she has been outside for a while to make sure he is okay.

However, the pup has stopped eating!!! We have brought her to the vet and the vet said it could be because of stress! We have pills to give her but they aren't helping. She use to eat two meals a day and is now down to half a meal a day. The vet said if nothing has changed to call them again on Thursday. 

We are trying to give her as much attention as she needs but it still hasn't changed anything. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what they did to ease the transition.  Thanks!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IMG_0941

Re: Dog Problems!

• Options
    No advice but I'm having similar issues with my cat.  She wakes me up more during the night than the baby! Argh! She also likes to vomit in middle of night since she knows it gets me out of bed.  We had her for 10 years before baby so she's used to being the only child :-( Good luck!
  • Options
    Ooo that is rough! Actually our dog threw up about three times and that is why we initially took the pup to the vet! Its sooo weird but I think you are right. They are used to being the only child! lol! Good luck to you too!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IMG_0941
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our boxer was the same way with both kids. The first time though he was throwing up too. The vet also said it was stress, gave us canned food and anti-nausea meds to help him. I forge the type of canned food, but it's the Hill's sensitive stomach stuff. It's supposed to be easier for them to digest than the dry food. This time we just let him ride it out, knowing that he would come around. It's the crying that makes our dog nervous. Even now if James is crying too much he will scratch at the back door to go out. Sometimes I wish I could go out int he backyard to escape the noise as well!!
    imageimage
  • Options
    All in all dogs NEED to know their place in the pack.  I would be clear with her so she knows she's at the bottom of the pack and isn't stressed wondering where she fits.  Check the baby first, feed/nurse the baby then offer her food and otherwise do whatever else your vet advises.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options

I totally had this issue. I have two Golden Retrievers, a 3 year old and a 10 year old, and while the 3 year old was fine, my 10 year old took almost two months to get back to himself. He had all sort of stomach problems, wouldn't eat (lost a ton of weight), wasn't playing ect. For him, all he needed was time, just in the last couple weeks he's starting to play again.

One way I tried to help him, my dogs always were self serve on dry dog food, and I would try giving him canned food and he seemed to like that ok. Also my vet recommended giving him a mixture of white rice and ground turkey, and he seemed to eat the heck out of that too. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My lab used to be this way whenever something new happened. I would add a little chicken stock (or broth) to her kibble and it seemed to encourage her to eat. 

Ultimately the only thing that "cured" her from her hunger strikes was feeding her around my other dogs. She would eat once she saw them eat. Maybe you can try encouraging your dog to eat whenever you guys do? And adding a little bit of rice or cottage cheese sometimes also helps a queasy stomach.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"