Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Hitting

LO has always had some issues with hitting, but it's starting to get out of control.  When I drop him off at school he goes around pushing kids and looks at me for a reaction.  The teacher often mentions that he was "fiesty" during the day, and we've recieved a discipline report about his hitting.  Then today when I picked him up he started hitting me in the face over and over.  I put him down and he continued to hit me.  He came home and hit my husband and his baby sister.  We don't hit him.  He hasn't been around hitting in our house (but I don't know what the first 14 months looked like for him).  We use timeout at home.  We use a stern voice and serious face.  We talk about nice touches and praise good choices.  I don't know how to make it stop.  I've tried ignoring it, but I can't ignore it when he's hitting his baby sister.  Is it a phase?  or are we raising him to be a bully?

~*Jenna*~

TTC since November 2009.

Currently licensed foster parents with the hope of adopting!  Also pursuing pregnancy through IUI!  First IUI scheduled 10/3/13

Currently loving our placements:

A 1/08

C 4/11

K 6/12

Re: Hitting

• First of all, it doesn't sound like you are to blame for his behavior. I'm no expert but it might help to seek a counselor to find the root of the issue.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage
  • I think this is just a phase. If he is looking at you while pushing/hitting he is looking for your reaction. If you keep reacting he will keep doing it. So by all means remove him from the situation where he can hit but completely ignore his behavior and don't give him eye contact. Redirect him to an appropriate activity.
    My son also hits as they can't verbally express how they feel. Once your LO gets more verbal skills the hitting should decrease.

If my DS hits because he is mad I give him the words to use instead of hitting. If he hits for attention I ignore it. HTH!
    Diagnosed MFI- low sperm count  
    DS-Born 7/27/11 After 2 years of IF we have our little man
    TTC#2 January 2013
    11 Medicated cycles gave us
    B/G Twins born 10/8/14 @ 32 weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"