TTC after 35

anyone wanna share your positive "ttc after 35" stories?

It's so easy to get discouraged when you're ttc at all, let alone after 35... or 40 in my case.

So, I thought it might be nice to hear some joyful, positive stories about those women who maybe had a hard time at first but then they managed to conceive and deliver happy, healthy babies! I know there are stories scattered throughout the boards, but I thought it might be nice to see an uplifting fresh thread.

(I just saw someone get reamed for posting a question on the wrong board so please forgive me if this isn't the best place for this... I mean no harm, just need some encouragement so I don't cry anymore)  :) 

Thanks!

Stephanie 

Re: anyone wanna share your positive "ttc after 35" stories?

• I know you mean no harm, but many of us are going through advanced fertility treatments on this board. Some are trying for a second, but most of us are trying for #1. We are hoping and praying to God over here, sometimes with little hope.

I think you should visit the "Success After IF" board. I go over to that board from time to time and I just read their posts and feel encouraged. Good luck to you.

• Or the "pregnant over 35" or "parenting over 35" boards could be a good place to try too.

Good luck with your TTC journey. The ladies here are really great. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Loading the player...
  • Quinn, 

This is exactly the kind of story I was hoping for. What an amazing miracle! I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that but so happy you had such an amazing outcome. I hope you are able to conceive again. My thoughts and prayers are with you for sure!

I'm 40 and trying for my first. I'm going on my 6th month I feel so defeated sometimes that it's never going to happen for me. My husband and I are a decade behind everyone else. Didn't start college till 30... but wouldn't trade our younger travels and experiences for anything! Now I have a doctor who just seems like a Debbie Downer so I search internet boards looking for those in the same boat who have "beat the odds!" I've got friends and family keeping us in their prayers and thoughts constantly. I've had the HSG (all good), husband had a normal SA, and now I'm on Clomid. We don't have money for an RE and will never be able to afford IVF so I have to rely on my OB/GYN and my own research when I feel she isn't cutting it. I've had 2 chemical pregnancies and my progesterone is too low (2.1). I think that's what it comes down to. I'm to start progesterone suppositories this morning as a matter of fact and I've been researching other ways to boost progesterone. Ugh... so exhausting. Oh, plus, the Clomid messed up my normal cycle and I had a 21 day cycle last month then started ovulating on day 4 of my cycle... day 4! And had to start the Clomid on day 5 per doctors orders (while I was already ovulating)... had 2 ovarian cysts rupture last month while I was teaching spelling to my first graders so I can't wait to see what this cycle has in store.

Anyway, thank you again for your story! Almost made me cry, from happiness, bu then it doesn't take much for me these days... Just gotta keep my chin up and keep trying! 

Take care. :) 

• imagesrfjeld:

Quinn, 

This is exactly the kind of story I was hoping for. What an amazing miracle! I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that but so happy you had such an amazing outcome. I hope you are able to conceive again. My thoughts and prayers are with you for sure!

I'm 40 and trying for my first. I'm going on my 6th month I feel so defeated sometimes that it's never going to happen for me. My husband and I are a decade behind everyone else. Didn't start college till 30... but wouldn't trade our younger travels and experiences for anything! Now I have a doctor who just seems like a Debbie Downer so I search internet boards looking for those in the same boat who have "beat the odds!" I've got friends and family keeping us in their prayers and thoughts constantly. I've had the HSG (all good), husband had a normal SA, and now I'm on Clomid. We don't have money for an RE and will never be able to afford IVF so I have to rely on my OB/GYN and my own research when I feel she isn't cutting it. I've had 2 chemical pregnancies and my progesterone is too low (2.1). I think that's what it comes down to. I'm to start progesterone suppositories this morning as a matter of fact and I've been researching other ways to boost progesterone. Ugh... so exhausting. Oh, plus, the Clomid messed up my normal cycle and I had a 21 day cycle last month then started ovulating on day 4 of my cycle... day 4! And had to start the Clomid on day 5 per doctors orders (while I was already ovulating)... had 2 ovarian cysts rupture last month while I was teaching spelling to my first graders so I can't wait to see what this cycle has in store.

Anyway, thank you again for your story! Almost made me cry, from happiness, bu then it doesn't take much for me these days... Just gotta keep my chin up and keep trying! 

Take care. :) 

Be careful with Clomid over 35. I have never taken it, but know from reading the board that it can thin your lining-which should be thick for implantation. Usually not recommended over age 40. Also, you should be having regular u/s when on clomid. OB/GYN should NOT be just writing a script and stating "come back when you get pregnant." When I started TTC at age 40, our RE suggested that our best chances of success were to move forward with IVF right away. If you cannot afford IVF, there are compassionate care programs to help, and research studies that you can apply for to significantly reduce costs of IVF. I wish you luck on your journey, but think that you will have better luck getting the success stories that you are seeking on PG after 35. We are all here to support each other on the journey, and we do post our BFP so that others can have hope and see that success can happen.  However, what I encourage you to try to understand is that this has been a long-painful journey for many. This is a TTC board, not an IF board, but there is much crossover because IF is much more common after 35. The real positive of this board is sharing in the journey, both good and bad, and connecting with others who know what you are going through.  Feel free to join in the conversation, but it's wise to be sensitive and thoughtful to where others are at on their journeys.

TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • imagehappywifemomofone:
    imagesrfjeld:

Be careful with Clomid over 35. I have never taken it, but know from reading the board that it can thin your lining-which should be thick for implantation. Usually not recommended over age 40. Also, you should be having regular u/s when on clomid. OB/GYN should NOT be just writing a script and stating "come back when you get pregnant." When I started TTC at age 40, our RE suggested that our best chances of success were to move forward with IVF right away. If you cannot afford IVF, there are compassionate care programs to help, and research studies that you can apply for to significantly reduce costs of IVF. I wish you luck on your journey, but think that you will have better luck getting the success stories that you are seeking on PG after 35. We are all here to support each other on the journey, and we do post our BFP so that others can have hope and see that success can happen.  However, what I encourage you to try to understand is that this has been a long-painful journey for many. This is a TTC board, not an IF board, but there is much crossover because IF is much more common after 35. The real positive of this board is sharing in the journey, both good and bad, and connecting with others who know what you are going through.  Feel free to join in the conversation, but it's wise to be sensitive and thoughtful to where others are at on their journeys.

Thank you for your information about the Clomid and the help that's out there for IVF. 

And, I apologize for offending people. It was not my intent to be "insensitive and thoughtless." I am in the same boat. I'm "TTC after 35." I'm concerned, I feel like it's never going to happen. I thought that was the title of this board. I also "shared my journey." Is there a more specific board for that? Is there a TTC after 35 and wishing to remain positive board?

• I think this board is fine to post something like this. Last I checked, this is a "TTC over 35" board, not "Infertility" or "Trouble TTC". On this board all women TTC over 35 should be welcome and not just the people doing IF treatments, even if those are more common over 35.

That said, here's my story:

We TTC for one entire year until I got pregnant at 38. After about 7 months DH and I decided to get tests done to see if there was a problem. Everything was fine although my progesterone levels on day 7DPO were not ideal. At the time I was seeing an ob/gyn and she didn't refer me to an RE (and I didn't really want to go to one either) so I tried cleaning up my diet (more organic, less coffee and alcohol), exercising more and taking herbal supplements and natural progesterone cream. I'm not sure if those things helped (I'm thinking they did!) and maybe the HSG helped "flush things out" as well, but I got pregnant naturally a couple of months after the tests and the HSG. I was lucky and had a healthy, happy pregnancy (except for the heartburn and swollen ankles, lol) and delivered a big baby boy at 40 weeks.

I'm 42 now and would like another baby but TTC the first one was so nerve-wracking (temping, fertility monitor, sex on queu, crying every time AF arrived, etc) that we might be one and done. I'm willing to visit an RE this time but it's unlikely we'll do IVF. If I was 10 years younger I would have 2 more children but it is what it is.

Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • Thank you for your story NewMrs, 

I'm in the same boat. I have low progesterone. I was also using the cream but my progesterone was still incredibly low even with the cream. I'm hoping the suppositories work better. I am questioning my decision to use Clomid after 5 months, but I figured doctor knew best... not always. ;)

I did a lot of the same things you did. I started exercising, watching what I eat, positive visualization, yoga, drinking more water, trying to get better sleep, trying to cut stress, acupuncture, etc... you name it! People around me say they "think/feel" it will happen naturally so I'm trying to keep that positive vibe up on my end as well. I hear you about crying after AF... I cried for the first time this last month. It was also the first month I said I wasn't going to buy into any symptom until I saw a positive test stick... then I started my AF early and it just all came tumbling down. As we all can attest, we do everything we feel is right and when we get that negative test or our AF, it just crushes us and we don't know what or how we could have done better.  Just back to the drawing board and better luck next time. 

Thank you for sharing. :) 

• Hi Stephanie,

I think this is a good board for you to frequent.  But, just as happywife said, everyone on this board is at different areas on the same path, so it is just a good idea to keep that in mind and be sensitive with your posts.  I have to say, I am surprised now that I wasn't chewed out from my first post on this board, I have a very similar background as you, but I am a little older at 43, we couldn't afford to go to a RE, so we did the same route with the OB/GYN with Clomid and such.... and I was becoming petrified that I wouldn't be able to have a baby. 

The night I did my first post, I thought that I was starting my AF and started to cry...I was so tired and frustrated, as I too, do the organics, yoga, supplements, etc....It just all built up and I was so scared that I reached out to this board.  The heading of my post was, Am I foolish to TTC at 43?  I trolled around for years before and never noticed that anyone was my age or older, so I just thought that since a lot of these ladies are going to RE's, they would have the knowledge to tell me whether they know of women my age having babies successfully or if I should just forget about it.  Reading all the books and such really does put a damper on any positive results.  My first response back was justly so, stating....well, I guess we are all foolish.  I wrote back to that person and told her that I didn't see anyone ages that were around mine or older, so that is why I was asking, but again, I might have struck a chord, but it wasn't intentionally, as I know it isn't in you.  In regards to my story, the spotting stopped and 1 week later, I got a BFP on my husband's birthday.  My next post was the fool at 43 was wrong.  Lol....Unfortunately, I lost the baby at 6 weeks and have been healing since then.  And, this board has been helping me get through these tuff times.  I see this board as a support for others and a venue to vent on occasions. Most of us, do go over and read the pregnant over 35 to remind us that it is possible and to keep us motivated to continue on our journeys. We do share in celebration all of our benchmarks, BFP's, too. So, all is possible here, education, support and venting...Lol. 

So, I know where you are coming from and feel free to keep posting your journey.  We are all in this together.  :)   Best of luck on your journey and hope to see you around on this board. 

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 15 to 80 day cycle tickers
  • imagesrfjeld:

Thank you for your story NewMrs, 

I'm in the same boat. I have low progesterone. I was also using the cream but my progesterone was still incredibly low even with the cream. I'm hoping the suppositories work better. I am questioning my decision to use Clomid after 5 months, but I figured doctor knew best... not always. ;)

I did a lot of the same things you did. I started exercising, watching what I eat, positive visualization, yoga, drinking more water, trying to get better sleep, trying to cut stress, acupuncture, etc... you name it! People around me say they "think/feel" it will happen naturally so I'm trying to keep that positive vibe up on my end as well. I hear you about crying after AF... I cried for the first time this last month. It was also the first month I said I wasn't going to buy into any symptom until I saw a positive test stick... then I started my AF early and it just all came tumbling down. As we all can attest, we do everything we feel is right and when we get that negative test or our AF, it just crushes us and we don't know what or how we could have done better.  Just back to the drawing board and better luck next time. 

Thank you for sharing. :) 

You're most welcome. Sending lots of baby dust your way :) 

Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"