Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Unexpectedly expecting baby #2! (yikes?)

Any mommies out there expecting right now, with a 9 month old at home? We just found out (not planned) and it seems the babies will be 16 months apart. I am beyond excited but so, so nervous. Just hoping I can handle it and be the best mother I can be! I'd appreciate if someone could tell me having 2 with this specific age gap isn't so bad!

Re: Unexpectedly expecting baby #2! (yikes?)

• Options

My kids are about 19 months apart and even though we planned it that way I was still very nervous.  It takes some adjustment at first, but I really love it.  We haven't had any jealousy issues and my kids are already best of friends.  It helps to slide the new baby into your existing schedule with your older child. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    This situation is my secret wish Smile I am too scared to have another one too soon but if it "happens" then I would be just happy and will take it as "It was meant to be" Wink Congrats!!! I think you will do absolutely great.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That is so exciting!  DD is 10 months and we've been wanting #2 since she was about 8 months old but I'm BFing and I still haven't gotten my first postpartum period.  Congrats to you!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ME!!!  We just found out I am pregnant again about a week ago.  Mine will also be 16 months apart.  We sort of planned it...we are in our mid 30's and really didn't want to wait too long.  But we only really tried one month and BAM!  Here we are!  I thought it would take a few months so I figured I had more time but I guess not.  I am freaking out a little bit but I am really excited.  Congrats!  Are you due in Sept?  Im on the Sept 2013 board all the time :)  its a good group
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I'm in the same boat.  My kids will be 13 months apart.  I'm excited and nervous at the same time. LOL. As with everything there are pros and cons.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I am nearly half way through pregnancy already :-)

I'm excited about having 2 under 2.  I'm actually excited about having 3 that are 3 and under!  We planned it.  All of our babies were conceived with the help of science.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    Mine will be 15 months apart :) congratulations!
    dx MF & FF IF
    Off B.C. Jan '06, started charting Feb '08, 2% morphology and PCOS, no O with meds,
    IVF w/ICSI only option to conceive.
    Licensed Foster Parents 07.11
    Miracle BFP 7.20.11 1st beta 6,274! EDD 3.17.12
    Miracle Baby born March 5, 2012 . 6lbs 1oz, 19 3/4"
    Miracle BFP #2 10.8.12 - edd 6.20.13

Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

Mine are 16 months apart! I will be honest it was a really rough first year but now it's wonderful. They are best friends, into the same toys, wear the same size clothing and shoes, even though my dd can talk more they love to "talk" and play together and rarely have jealousy. Some tips I learned:

the newborn stage wasn't that bad (they sleep a lot) but getting the older one a new toy to play with as a distraction was a huge help. I remember bringing home DS and her running up to say hi then ran off playing again,,she bnever had any issues and was too young to really "get it" it wasnt until he was crawling and could take away his toys that she really noticed him as a being that can really do stuff. Before that it was give baby hugs and kisses and keep playing!

I had everything I needed on both floors so I wasn't leaving one unattended to run upstairs for a change of clothing or diapers. White noise machine helped me drown out the toddler noises during naps. 

i used my double stroller ALOT! Some baby wear but for me (I am alone all day) having one newborn in the ergo while a toddler decided to throw a tantrum in the parking lot left me really carrying both in the street while my toddler "pat" the newborns little head! Or having her throw a tantrum while trying to put her in a shopping cart and almost kicking his little head made me forget the baby wearing and use the stroller. I had the city select which is a single and can convert to a double or use a glider board for toddler to ride on. I would often snap the car seat (with DS sleeping) in one end, DD in the other with snacks and go do my grocery shopping.  

My hardest time was dS from 3-6 months. They are awake, can't sit up yet but want to play, and my kids were horrible sleepers. I learned to have almost everything prepared the night before....even sippy cups. I had a few moments of trying to pour a gallon of milk into a sippy while bfing. I cooked, plated, and wrapped every meal so all I needed to do was throw it in the microwave or just hand her s sippy from the fridge. Same went with cleaning and cooking. It was a "good day" if I got 1 load of laundry done and unloaded the dishwasher. The first 6 months were very hectic but I reminded myself all the time "no one ever died from crying" and sometimes they just have to wait. As long as everyone was in fed, in bed, clean, and laughed at least once today I did my job! 

I loved having 2u2  even though it was hard. I always tell people having them close is easy on them but hard on you as the parents but so worth it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am! I have a 9 month old and took 2 positive pregnancy tests last week. I was on the mini pill and bf'ing part time so I have NO idea how far along I am (haven't had a period since before my son was born!) so I am interested to find out exactly how far apart they will be. It was a huge surprise for us, too!
  • Options
    We are not unexpectedly pregnant, but my LOs will be 14 months apart. We actually got pregnant on my second cycle, while full time breastfeeding! I don't know if chasing around my ten month old has made a difference, but I have had a much easier pregnancy.
  • Options
    Mine are 17 months apart. The beginning was difficult, as was the end of the pregnancy. My youngest is now 9 months and things are great.

In my experience, the first 2 months were manageable only because we had help. Months 3 through 5 were difficult, and it got better from there.

You never know how it will be though. I was recovering from a c section and my LO had reflux. If we weren't dealing with both of those things it may have been easier.

We planned it this way as we are in our late 30's. If we have another we will wait until our second is a year and a half to try. We are tired!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"