School-Aged Children
Options

if your school kid is not a morning person...

How do you get them moving in the morning? 6y/o DD is not a morning person (admittedly, neither am I) and it is brutal waking her up every morning. The bus comes at 7. I usually get her up just before 6:30, she puts on her clothes which we've laid out the night before, brushes hair and teeth and is out the door (we pick out clothes, pack the back pack, etc. all the night before and none of this is an issue). The only problem is actually getting her out of her bed. She will just lie there curled up in a ball until I either threaten or physically move her out of the bed. It is always a battle. Each morning I try to go in with a good attitude, say good morning in a cheery voice, rub her back and sing her a song, offer to help her get up and get her clothes on, etc. and inevitably nothing works so I end up getting upset and I hate starting the day off on the wrong foot.

So what should I do differently? Get her an alarm clock? Wake her up earlier?

She goes to bed at 7:30.

Edit for clarity/misspellings and also to add that she eats breakfast at school, so we don't have to factor time in for that.

Mom to DD#1 December '06, DD#2 Feb '09 and DS March '12

Re: if your school kid is not a morning person...

• Options

I like to wake up slowly (I will set my alarm for 30 minutes or so before I need to get up so I can hit the snooze).   Could you try waking her at 6:00 and then she has unitl 6:30 to get up (maybe you could rub her back for a few minutes). 

Why is the bus coming so early?  When I was in elementary school, the bus came around 8:20 so school could start at 8:40.  Is she really starting school so early?  I remember in junior high and high school we started at 7:20.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Options

My first child springs out of bed all perky and energized each day, so I was unprepared when my second child started school and I had to literally prod him awake every morning.  Having to yell at him every morning is a rotten way to start the day. 

I have found that using an alarm clock and setting it early enough to give him a chance to get moving slowly helps.  Also, it puts the responsibility to get up and moving where it should be: on him.

We also lay clothes out the night before, etc.  We don't turn the TV on in the morning at all.

It's gotten better as he's gotten older, but I am NOT looking forward to dealing with this when he's an adolescent!

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would suggest getting her up at least 15 - 30 minutes earlier.  My kids like to have plenty of time to do get themselves ready in the morning without rushing.  So it would drive me and my children nuts to get up, get ready and go out the door all in a half hour.   My children like a bit of "chill" time before we head out the door in the morning.  So they actually get up 80 minutes before we have to leave.  You might need to make her bedtime earlier if you change her wakeup time.
  • Options

imagelittlemermaid:
    I would suggest getting her up at least 15 - 30 minutes earlier.  My kids like to have plenty of time to do get themselves ready in the morning without rushing.  So it would drive me and my children nuts to get up, get ready and go out the door all in a half hour.   My children like a bit of "chill" time before we head out the door in the morning.  So they actually get up 80 minutes before we have to leave.  You might need to make her bedtime earlier if you change her wakeup time.

This is what we do as well.  DS is terrible when I wake him up and when I was growing up, my mom would wake me and my brother and yell at us for ever before we ever got up.  I didn't want to do that with my kids.  We got DS an alarm clock, it works great.  I put it across the room so when he finally gets up we go across the room and shut it off together.  At that point he's up and out of bed.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My DS is 6 also and has a lot of trouble getting up in the morning. Here's what we do. First, we got him his own alarm clock. Jumping up to turn off his alarm gets him going a lot faster than us pestering him. Also, I prefer to give him a little more time to get ready so he isn't so rushed. That way there's not really a problem if he dawdles a bit, which, let's be honest, he is bound to do. Finally, here's my no-fail secret, if the alarm isn't getting him up, or if he's laid back down, I sit on the end of his bed and blow bubbles at him. Yep, bubbles. It doesn't take long for him to realize what's going on and he hops right up all excited to pop them. Works like a charm every time. No yelling. No fussing. Happy mornings for everyone.
    imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"