Toddlers: 24 Months+

Bedtime issues

My son is 27 months old and we are having issues with him getting up in the middle of the night (4 AM) and wanting to be awake.  He wants milk and then keeps getting out of bed for more milk and one excuse or the other.  I don't know what to do.  We've done the whole Super Nanny method of bringing him back to bed, no eye contact and no talking.  DS is exceptionally stubborn, and that did not work. I would be putting him back to bed 20-30 times a night.  I should also mention that I am 7 1/2 weeks pregnant, exhausted and very sick.  Any advice would help.  
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Bedtime issues

• Don't give him the milk even the first time.

Leave a sippie cup of water by his bed where he can reach it when he gets up. While putting him to bed, remind him that there's no milk during the night; not until morning. During the night, he has his cup of water and that's all he'll get. He'll cry 1, 2, 3 nights and then won't wake up for it anymore. Keep reminding him every night when you put him to bed. No milk during the night; only in the morning. Water that you can reach yourself during the night.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• You said you tried the super nanny method and it didn't work, but you don't say how long you tried it for. 20-30 times per night is EXPECTED for at least a few nights (more for very stubborn kids), and then slowly weaning them down.  It can take more than two weeks, but you have to be 100% consistent.

(I agree with no milk, though.  Let him have his cup of water, but not milk.)

IMG_8355
  • Loading the player...
  • Agree totally about  no milk.  Do not give in.  NO matter how tired you are!  

We leave a sippy cup of water with DD1 for this reason.  

My DD goes back down easier if you "talk her off the ledge" so to speak. I tell her to lay down (she never gets out of her bed thank goodness) and then tell her it is black outside and that means night night (her words).  I know she is scared from nightmares so I tell her to count to 15 and I will go check on her sister and may come back to check on her.  This has always satisfied her and by the time she is done counting she is calm and goes back to sleep. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"