March 2013 Moms
Options

Vent

Ok, I really just need to get this off my chest and find out from other mothers if I'm being a baby or what my deal is. I work a full time office job (45 minutes from home). It's not strenuous. I sit at a desk and take phone calls and computer work all day. With DS I worked 5 days a week on my feet doing hair until two days before my due date, took 4 1/2 weeks off and went back to work part time without missing a beat. This time with DD, I'm at 32 weeks and completely miserable. So much pressure below, can't take a deep breath, etc. My plan is to work right up to my due date so I can have a full 6 weeks with DD once she arrives. My problem is I already only get 4 weeks paid time off for maternity leave (since I've been with the company just a year). This is fine and we have budgeted for it. I know I'm entitled to up to 12 weeks FMLA leave which would be unpaid. I feel so uncomfortable already I can't imagine working up to my due date this go round. Between sitting at a desk for 7 hours a day and then 1 1/2 of commuting, it's just way harder this time. Am I being rediculous? I haven't had any complications or anything throughout my pregnancy, it's simply put, I'm just uncomfortable. Any input? Suggestions? I can take it if I'm being a baby, but man, this is rough this time!
BabyFruit Ticker *Brianna*

Re: Vent

• Options

I can relate.

I'm not working, but man, this 3rd pregnancy is kicking my butt. My only thought is, you have a LO at home, will you really be able to relax at home any more than at work? Either way, you're going to have a rough few weeks, might as well pull a paycheck at the same time.

Though... the commute would kill me. I have issues after driving 20 minutes nowadays.

DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    No one can really say if you are being a baby or not because everyone's pregnancy is different.  If you can afford to start your leave earlier than maybe you should.  Or try sticking it out another week to see if the baby moves.  I had one bad week where my baby's head was nudged up under my ribs and I could barely breathe but she moved and now it's much better.  Is working from home an option for you?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    i can relate. i feel your pain hun. i felt the same way about my job... so i asked my doctors to put me on bedrest so that it would not have effected my pay as much. i think you just need to listen to your body. if you feel like you cant take it anymore  take the time off. if u can hold on for a few more day ... then stay. totally up to you. good luck 
    Happy to be a mom :)
  • Options
    Can you use some sick days up...like one a week or something just to get you through?
  • Options
    I suppose you are right. I wish I could work from home, but I work in a call center for an Insurance company and unfortunately cannot be hooked up at home. I'll give it a while and see what I can do and if things let up a little.
  • Options
    Unfortunately for me to get paid for any of my maternity leave, I have to use my paid sick days first. So I have 20 days (2 weeks) of paid sick time to use, already taking 2 weeks unpaid after baby arrives!
  • Options

I feel your pain - I am trying to balance out immediate comfort needs/ability to do work effectively with shorting my time with baby once he arrives!  I have no honest answer as to what will work best for you, but for me we've modified my schedule so that I work from home a bit, and I have finally had to admit that I cannot handle the same style of workload I used to.  This is really tough for me to take because I'm professional quite ambitious, but I simply have too many contractions with grant deadlines and publishing dates and endless meetings.  I'm also the primary breadwinner in my household, so any unpaid (well, I'd be on STD, so cut pay) time off would really hit us, but I figure that I'm willing to have some financially tough times to care for kiddo.  So, in a nutshell, I've modified my current work schedule, will probably cut out a week before my due date, and see how things are going with respect to when I come back. 

Good luck!

Geeky is as Geeky Does... BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It sounds like one big difference between this time and last time is that last time you were standing up more.  Maybe it's all the desk time and driving time in the sitting position (and crunching up over baby) that is causing discomfort?  Try standing up more, or even stand while working at your desk.  Good luck.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Totally understand! my doctor put me off work at 28 wks. totally not what i had planned. but like you i was miserable, i also work in a office, but when clients came in, i was on my feet off and on. for the last month i worked i had to be terrible to be around i  could not breath, felt bad and it got when a client walked in the door i was like "really, cant you just leave cant you see i'm pregnant" not the best customer service! I must had looked bad because people would apolize for makeing me get up from my desk!   I also had really bad muscle and round ligament pain i could hardly make it to my car in the evenings and hit the couch as soon as i got home. Plus my little guy is a night owl and kept me up with his little dance party from 2am to usually 4am! I wanted to work as long as i could but it was such a relief when i did not have to go  work every morning and i could rest when i needed to and really take care of myself.    guess it wass my first lesson in learning i'm no longer in control! You are not being a baby at all!

• Options

imagekatieknitsny:
    It sounds like one big difference between this time and last time is that last time you were standing up more.  Maybe it's all the desk time and driving time in the sitting position (and crunching up over baby) that is causing discomfort?  Try standing up more, or even stand while working at your desk.  Good luck.

This. I have a desk job as well.  I have to frequently get up as I am getting so uncomfortable.  Another suggestion is try putting something under your desk so you can elevate your feet.  I have a box that I use. I do find this helps a bit. But mostly just getting up and going for a walk eases my discomforte. Maybe give some suggestions a try and see how they work out and then re-evaluate how you feel. Goodluck.

• Options
    I don't think you are being a baby, I've reached the super uncomfortable stage also. If I were you I'd suck it up so you can save all you time for when the baby is here.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"