Babies: 9 - 12 Months

big bathtub tips?

hi all,

we just moved our almost 9-month old to the "big tub" (she'd been in her baby tub inside the big tub since almost the beginning).  we put a non-slip mat down, and she now spends bathtime like a crawling fool!  she seems to love being in there, but it's a little difficult to wash her, and she's doing nutty things like putting her head directly under the running faucet (which we occasionally have to run mid-bath because she *also* discovered how to open the drain on the bottom).

any tips on how to do the "big tub" thing right?  i'm not even sure i know how much water we're supposed to be putting in there, let alone how to wash her hair when she's sitting up (and leaning forward).  she's still working on pulling up, but i know that's right around the corner - do y'all let your babies stand up in the tub this early?

thanks!

Re: big bathtub tips?

• Lol mine is a crawling fool in the tub too.  I don't think there's a right or wrong way to give a bath.  We have a routine that makes it easier.  He sits first so I can wash his hair and body, then I let him stick his head under the faucet to rinse off.  But, you know, sometimes he just chills in the crawling position (so he can dive under the running water as soon as I'm done) and I just wash him that way. Then he can crawl all over, as long as he doesn't stand up (which he thinks is the new cool thing).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Be lucky he is crawling, DS loves to stand and look over the side of our tub.  He is making me crazy because he is going to slip and fall out.  We just moved to the big tub last week because he was trying to stand in his baby tub and I thought that was dangerous.  I was also wondering how much water to put in I didn't want him to get cold.  I did up to his belly button.  I always pour water over his face though so he gets used to it and likes being in the water as he gets older.
  • Loading the player...
  • I equate bathtime to wrestling with a wet, excited monkey. The entire bathroom is soaked by the time we're done. I feel like I'd actually get less wet if I got into the tub with him.

At the end though, he's happy and clean so I consider it a success. I'd rather he be happy and have a good time having a bath than hate it so anything goes as long as it isn't actually dangerous.

• We just let dd do her thing and wash while she plays. She loves her bath toys. We started with just enough water to cover her legs but last weekend I accidentally filled it up to the middle of her tummy and she loved it. I'd never even step away within the bathroom so I feel ok with deeper water. As for shampooing I just put the soap in and rub then use one of her bath toy stacking cups to dump water over her head. We use tear free shampoo so I don't even worry about it going down her face.
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• We have a tub version of a boppy that my almost 9 month old uses/sits in. We have been using it for about a month since she basically outgrew the kitchen sink. It has a non-slip bottom to it. She sits and plays in it. While she is playing, I wash her body and hair, then she leans back to get rinsed. Seems to work for now.
    JenniAtlanta Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh man. This is why we bought a little inflatable tub... I'm too scared of the big tub! The inflatable tub is good though. It's like a tiny little swimming pool. It uses less water and LO just leans back against the side and plays. Sometimes he gets on his knees and tries to climb out but we just sit him back down and shove a toy in his hand to distract. Seems to work for now! I'm hoping it will get us by another 6 months before moving to the big tub but that may be wishful thinking.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagejenniatlanta:
    We have a tub version of a boppy that my almost 9 month old uses/sits in. We have been using it for about a month since she basically outgrew the kitchen sink. It has a non-slip bottom to it. She sits and plays in it. While she is playing, I wash her body and hair, then she leans back to get rinsed. Seems to work for now.

We just bought of these too, she's been in it about 2 weeks or so. She doesn't try to crawl because she really can't but the past few nights she tries to stand. I just try to sit her back down.

This is the one we got https://www.amazon.com/Secure-Transitions-Inflatable-Baby-Tub/dp/B002YQPDFK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1359496147&sr=8-2&keywords=baby+inflatable+tubs

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • I actually get in the tub with DD.  I've been doing this since she was 3 months old.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We never had a baby tub, he started off with sponge baths and as soon as his cord was healed he was in the big bath.  We started with a bath sponge to lay on and when he outgrew that he got a folded large towel to lay on ( yeah more laundry Huh? )
    If he is in the bath alone we now have a seat but to be honest more often than not daddy is in with him and we have a rubber mat on the bottom. it's their time and they have a blast and I sit on the toilet alongside or use that 10 minutes to do other things.

Then he is handed off to me wrapped in a towel and we get dry and dressed while daddy takes a shower.  Sometimes we stay in the bathroom and just hang out with daddy while he showers with munchkin wapped in a towel on my knee.

He doesn't care about water in his face so  we just dump handfuls of clean water on him.  He gets deep baths  when he is in with daddy.. up to his chest and loves to bend forward and get a facefull of soap suds and water.  He sometimes lays forward and tries to crawl but he can't get far and most definitely is made to sit down if he tries to stand... bathtime is a family affair.. there is always at least one or more cats trying to join in.

Bathtime is a blast in our house .. DH doesn't bath him when he is flying solo and I don't often have to bath him alone either.
  • imageeyenigh:

I equate bathtime to wrestling with a wet, excited monkey. The entire bathroom is soaked by the time we're done. I feel like I'd actually get less wet if I got into the tub with him.

At the end though, he's happy and clean so I consider it a success. I'd rather he be happy and have a good time having a bath than hate it so anything goes as long as it isn't actually dangerous.

That made me laugh out loud! You described bath time to a T at our house!

• imageskibunny59:
    I actually get in the tub with DD.nbsp; I've been doing this since she was 3 months old.

This. Sometimes my DH will get in with her if I'm busy. I could not imagine her by herself in the tub. She has recently started dunking her head into the water and choking.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"