LGBT Parenting
Options

Birth Control

Hi friends! I went to the gyno yesterday for my annual and to discuss family planning and because my cycles are not regular (sometimes twice a month and sometimes short), my gyno suggested I start on birth control (Loestrin 1/20). Did anyone else use birth control to regulate before starting to TTC? We aren't looking to start trying until June or July. 

Any tips would be amazingly helpful. Thanks! 

Married my soulmate on 10.1.11; One furbaby, Emma the cat; Madly in love and Just starting our journey on the TTC path! Trying to Conceive Ticker

Re: Birth Control

• Options
    Hi there, I see no one has responded to you here. I haven't had this experience but wanted to suggest that you search for answers on the bump by googling community.thebump.com: birth control or some similar term to find past posts of others throughout the site. If you don't find anything, Trouble TTC would be a good place to ask. Though I would warn you to read the board and FAQ first there, as well as posting an intro. Their culture there is to only answer questions of those who follow those steps, otherwise they will just tell you to get out! Not so here, but if no one answers you here you could try that.

Good luck!
    M&K met 8/2002 married 6/2012
    TTC with RE since March 2012
    3 missed O's, 6 IUIs = 1 BFP then 8 w M/C, 5 BFNs
    (2 unmedicated IUIs, 2 clomid IUI, 2 femara IUI)
    Shared maternity/partner IVF, transfer #1 BFP!
    EDD 11/28/13
  • Options
    Now that you mention pcos I know this is a common response. You can read a LO about it on trouble TTC.
    EDD 11/28/13
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Also a warning. The tttc board can be a bit quick to jump down people's throats, and may tell you that pcos doesn't automatically mean you will have trouble. They may refer you to the trying to get pregnant board.

Most people there are dealing with infertility related things but haven't yet moved on to ivf, etc... So just tread with that in mind as its a pretty high stress zone!

Good luck!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    queer couple - 32 (me) & 33 (my love) years old - donor sperm,

Our IF/TTC journey since Nov 2012.

Me: dx of DOR in Nov. 2012. Low AMH, AFC - 6, Normal FSH, SS-A (RO) Antibodies (Autoimmune issues), tubes clear, Sono (November 2013) NORMAL! <p>

7 IUI's - December 2012-September 2013.  Medicated, Injected, Triggered.... all BFN.

My Love:  (the amazing @Healz413)
    Normal AMH & FSH, AFC ~27, blocked tube dx'd via HSG in 2012.   Hydrosalpinx & ovarian cyst dx'd in May 2013.
    dx of Stage IV Endo & bilateral salpinectomy in June 2013.  

Partner IVF#1a- December 2013 - H's eggs, my Ute - CANCELLED due to low response
    Partner IVF #1b - February 2014 - H's eggs, my Ute - ER February 4 (10 retrieved, 3 fertilized), Transfer Feb 7 of one Grade 1 and one Grade 2 day 3 embryos.  1 - Day 3, Grade 1 frosty saved.   BFP - 6dp3dt via FRER, Beta #1 - 110, Beta #2 175, Beta #3 - 348, Beta #4 - 2222!, Beta #5 - 4255.  Ultrasound (6w1d) - 2 heartbearts!  

We lost our beautiful Twin baby girls on June 18, 2014.  Tavin Sara and Casey Elizabeth were born at 21 weeks gestation and were absolutely beautiful, precious, amazing babies.  We miss our daughters every day and love them with all our hearts.

• Options

Yikes! It's too bad that is their reputation. Thank you so much for the tips. I know that having PCOS does not mean I will have trouble trying to conceive, I just wish I had more answers. I am currently uninsured (I'm not able to be on my wife's excellent insurance plan) so doing anything with the gyn is expensive. 

Thanks again, ladies! 

Married my soulmate on 10.1.11; One furbaby, Emma the cat; Madly in love and Just starting our journey on the TTC path! Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options

And be sure to put your diagnosis, the tests you have had done, and where you are in the process in your signature before you post there.

I know they will have answers for you, I have seen this exact post about PCOS and going on birth control on that board, just not on this one. 

EDD 11/28/13
  • Options
    Hi i have never posted on here before but i have PCOS as well. my doctor didnt put me on birth control pills but put me on metformin. My cycles were alot how yours are and sometimes not coming at all and i have been on metformin since August and have had 1 period a month since September and even ovulated every month since. Im not sayin its right for you but you might want to check into it. 
  • Options

Putting people on BC to regulate cycles in common in PCOS, but I'm not sure if it actually helps with conception.  I think there's some anecdotal evidence your chances are higher to ovulate/conceive the first cycle or two after coming off BCPs.

Without insurance is tough.  I think Metformin really is the treatment of choice for women with PCOS who are TTC.  It doesn't work for everyone, but it has been shown to improve pregnancy rates in women with PCOS.  The Metformin itself is cheap, but your doc would have to prescribe it.  The ER version has fewer GI side effects. 

Same sex couple TTC with donor sperm.  I am 35 and carrying.  Endometriosis and DOR.
    AMH 0.5, AFC 5-8, FSH 7ish

IVF #1 - antagonist.  Empty follicle syndrome.  1 retrieved, 0 fertilized.
    IVF #2 - antagonist.  Ovulated early.  3 retrieved, 2 fertilized, 0 blasts
  • Options

Thank you! I do have insurance that covers visits to the gyno, so I can easily get a script for metformin. She did offer it to me, and I told her I wanted to do some research first. It sounds like that might be a better way to go. Thank you for all of the input!

• Options

So I just got off the phone with my gyno office. I had called to request a script for metformin and informed them that I was thinking of not taking birth control. The nurse that called me back was so very sweet and she had some interesting information. She said that if I take the birth control, I am giving my system a rest by not ovulating. She said that for a woman with PCOS you have a higher success rate of getting pregnant the cycle immediately ending after birth control because your body hasn't ovulated while taking the pills. It actually makes sense. Has anyone else hear of this? 

When I step back and look at my situation, I do have to remember that I have never tried getting pregnant, so we don't ACTUALLY know if I will have problems in 6-7 months when we actually try.... 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"