Babies: 9 - 12 Months

XP 6-9: Constantly opening and closing hands..?

Probably just being a paranoid mother here, but my 8 MO is constantly opening and closing his hands. He usually turns them towards his chest or tummy and just goes to town. He does it quickly... Like you would scratch an itch. We call him "sticky fingers" when he does it, but what was once a funny joke kind of has me a little worried now. 

I really don't see a huge difference in him from his 6 month appointment to now as far as what he is doing. He was sitting up then, but not crawling, and that is still the case. He doesn't "dance", clap his hands, or really babble anything outside of the typical "AHH" screams. When I talk to my mom on the phone, she always asks what his new "tricks" are, and I feel like its been months since I had anything to say. 

Anyways... Not sure if I'm just expecting too much, or am just a worried Momma. Do any of you have any idea or experience with this "sticky finger" situation?? Thanks!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP 6-9: Constantly opening and closing hands..?

• My LO did this hand gesture too. I think it is partly them figuring themselves out.

Some kids don't crawl until they are almost a year old. They all advance at their own pace when they're ready.

Talk to your pedi too. That should also help calm your worries.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My 9 month old only stopped doing that so frequently last week but will still do it every so often. He does it a lot to the floor or to my face or neck and those sharp little nails hurt!. He used to do it to the side of his own head. I wouldnt be concerned about it. Just keep his nails short and filed so that he doesnt break skin.

Also mine didnt crawl until 8 months exactly. Yesterday was the first time he clapped his hands and he doesn't dance.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Corbin | born 4.19.12
    Baby boy #2 | due 4.13.15
  • Loading the player...
  • You girls are great- thank you!! I don't know why this worries me so much all of a sudden, he's been doing it for months. 

I totally get that the crawling thing is different for every baby, and that some never do! I think I am more worried about the lack of any "new developments" since the 6 month appointment.

I really appreciate your feedback!! 

• i know how you feel! sometimes my worries just hit me like a ton of bricks even though my babies (twins) have been doing something for a while! anyway, with the closing hand thing, yes, my dd did that a lot, especially since she has a bit of exzema so she was used to doing that scratching motion. she doesn't do it as much anymore. also, her physical therapist has seen her do it and i brought it up and she didn't seem concerned at all.
  • Thanks janniep! I am sure this isn't a big deal, but I suppose I will ask his pedi about it next month at his 9 month appointment since he will no doubt do it then! 

And twins! So much fun (and work, I'm sure). I secretly hope for twins someday!! 

• sure!  definitely ask your pedi for peace of mind.  

as for the twins...they are a lot of fun but also twice (though it feels like 20 times) the work!

• I get the worry. Repetitive behavior and what you perceive to be a lack of new development might seem to be cause for concern. But it isn't that repetitive to them since they have only been doing it for a couple of months. Oh, and one day, BAM, LO will crawl and do all sorts of things you never thought they would. DD2 likes to save up her milestones and slam us with 2-3 in a day. She sat up and crawled for the first time on the same day. Same with pulling to stand and taking steps while holding onto something. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you, girls! I guess he would just do some new "tricks" or something hahaha!! Happy to hear this is probably totally normal. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"