Boston Babies
Options

Essex County OB

For any of you ladies who have gone there before, I know I can't be guaranteed one doctor for my delivery but I saw on the website quite a few male doctors and that is my only concern. I don't mind having a female I haven't met in the delivery room, but having a male OB is just not something I am comfortable with. So I guess what I am asking is if that's something that could be worked out? I know some people don't care but I also know I'm not the only one who is only comfortable with a female.

I'm not a patient there yet, I have my first appt to meet my current OB on Wednesday but from what I've heard, I get the feeling I'm not going to like her and Essex county OB has been recommended to me. I also like that with Essex county I could deliver at Beverly and I've heard wonderful things about their labor and delivery unit.
Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3

Re: Essex County OB

• Options
    I go here but have yet to deliver with them.  So far I LOVE my OB.  I, too, prefer a female.  My husband and I schedule our appts in advance because we prefer the OB we have been seeing (my father works at beverly hospital and thus was able to notify me on the best ones).  I may be wrong on this next part, but I know a few of the men are not OB in that they stick to the GYN part (I will say that Keenan is highly regarded and awesome for GYN).  I believe only one takes on low risk pregnancies.  So having a male may not even be an issue but I bet they will be more than willing to try everything to comply with your request.  I say this because not everyone in the office is there full time so in cases of emergencies they may have no other option but I honestly do not think it would come to that.
  • Options
    I delivered with Essex County OB. I was induced and it took me two days to have my daughter. I met both the OB's on duty as well as midwives for each day. I also met OB's when I came in for two weeks past due appointments, and one time when I thought my water might have broke and ALL the doctors I saw were females. There really isn't anything they can do about it because they are on a rotation for scheduling and they can't help when you go into labor (unless your getting induced). I would say the only thing you could do if you didn't want the male OB would be to ask for the midwife on duty instead (if they are a female). Hope this helps. PS I liked allllll the doctors I saw. They all listened to my opinions and what I wanted and helped me have labor as close to the way I wanted as possible. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I delivered with this practice with my DS.  I remember being able to choose between an OB and midwife (all of whom I believe are female).  So if there is a male OB on call you could probably ask for the midwife.  However if you have complications at some point, you may have to see the OB after all.

I will say that Dr. Dilillo (male) was my OB and he is truly a wonderfu. doctor  I had another male OB for one of my appointments who I also really liked.  I would encourage you to maybe schedule some appointments with the male OBs (maybe the earlier ones where all they do is measure your belly and listen with the doppler) to get to know them a little bit, which may ease your anxieties about having one of them deliver you, because, as you know, it may be unavoidable.

• Options
    Thanks for all your help ladies!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"