Attachment Parenting
Options

Weaning a teething toddler :-/

I want to cry! DD is starting to bite while BFing and it hurts SO bad! I know she is teething..two top teeth..so I guess that's why. I tell her no and take her away from it for a few minutes, but then she just screams. We are trying to wean, since she's one and I found out I'm pregnant again. She is tired at night, but just cries and screams when we are trying to rock to sleep. And when I try to lay her down, either in crib or our bed, she cries. I had to hold her until I'm ready to get in bed. I've tried teething tablets and gas drops. Today we will try an earlier nap. I'm to the point of not even wanting to continue BF because nipples are sore, but that seems to be the only thing that will comfort her. Suggestions or tips on weaning and biting?? 

Re: Weaning a teething toddler :-/

• Options

Have you tried REAL painkillers? Teething hurts. Like, you would take an Advil hurts. Give her some Advil and alternate with Tylenol if needed.

I have no weaning advice, as I can't do it. I will say that my nipple soreness from pregnancy peaked about weeks 6-8 and is no longer an issue. 

• Options
    imagetokenhoser:

Have you tried REAL painkillers? Teething hurts. Like, you would take an Advil hurts. Give her some Advil and alternate with Tylenol if needed.

I have no weaning advice, as I can't do it. I will say that my nipple soreness from pregnancy peaked about weeks 6-8 and is no longer an issue. 

I agree with the Advil. We always do Advil and sometimes alternate Tylenol on really bad days. Teething is no joke.  

Unfortunately I had NO nipple pain at all until 13 weeks and now it is excrutiating even when DD is very gentle, so it can go either way. Thankfully DD is over 2 and is content with just one nursing session a day. I think I"d cry if she needed more...sometimes I cry anyway. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah I'm wondering if perhaps it is more nip soreness than biting. :( Is that a possibility? BFing was sooo painful in 1st tri for me.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    She's been biting down hard, sending sharp pain! And with the soreness that just comes with being 6w pregnant..not a good combo. I will definitely try Tylenol for her tonight. She only nurses from one side so that isn't helping me.

• Options
    DD has also started taking a pacifier to bed at night because she likes to chew on it while teething. Tylenol and Motrin also help.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"