Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

TV?

DS has never really watched TV, except for football when DH's college team is playing. We don't watch TV usually either so this is the reason why he doesn't really have exposure to it. I mean I let him watch a Sesame Street YouTube video when he wouldn't stop crying once, but that's about it. 

When will you let LO watch TV and why? How often? I have heard that it is best to wait until 2 but I don't really know why. 

I don't want my LO to be distracted by this when he could be learning and experiencing other (better) things, but I also don't want to be the freak mom that won't let her kid watch TV!! 

Re: TV?

• Options
    DS doesn't watch tv. Every once in a while I will turn on the baby channel when he is fussy but he isn't even interested and I am really ok with that. In fact I hope he never likes tv. I would rather he play with his toys and use his imagination than sit in front of a tv.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think that waiting until 2 or 3 will make you a freak mom whose kid never watches tv! I think it's totally reasonable to wait until then to introduce it.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ds watched some of sesame street this morning. I think as long as they aren't in front of it for hours, a little tv won't hurt.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I posted this on one of the other boards. So e people are completely against it. Everything f in moderation. Dd lives Dora and sesame and musical shows. I don't see it being the end of the world. Especially if it stops the fussiness, or helps you get things done.
  • Options

The American Academy of Pediatrics discourages TV exposure for children under 2.  They re-affirmed their position in 2011 based on updated research suggesting a correlation between TV exposure (even background while parents are watching) and delayed language skills as well as irregular sleep patterns. 

Studies have not been able to establish causation yet, so it could turn out that infants/toddlers with these issues are more attracted to TV, or it could be that the TV watching causes the issues.  There's no way to know for sure, so I don't want to take the chance.  We have the TV off anytime DD is in the room.  Here's a link to the article:  https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/128/5/1040.full#sec-6

• Options
    Tv is fine with me. She doesnt watch it all the time but she do love mickey mouse clubhouse! I think most things are fine in moderation. And dont have them sit too close. I have had people say to me that I shouldnt let her have any tv but the joy I see in her face when she sees that mouse on tv melts my heart everytime! :)
  • Options
    Just asked the pedi this question yesterday, she said don't use it as a babysitter. I have not put a show on for him but I will have the TV on for me some periods of the day, I like to see the morning shows to find out the news.  Our pedi said it is difficult to never have a TV on for 2 years but it is definitely not something I want LO to get used to.  I don't even know what the channel is for Disney!
  • Options
    imageLalaMama81:
    I would wait until 2, at least. We did it w/ DD1 and it really wasn't a big deal. She still doesn't watch tons, definitely not as much has her friends.nbsp;After 2, the moderation line works, before that I think none is a better stance. You don't need to put the TV on to get stuff done. Do it while they play, sleep or help you. nbsp;

But sometimes that just isn't possible. This morning, for example, we had to keep the news on to see if schools, and thus his day care were closed. He played almost the entire time.
  • Options

I let Eli watch TV. We don't watch it all day long, but we'll watch it for a little bit. Most of the time, I'm watching with him and he is snuggling with me. 

BFP with #2- Sept 6, 2013  EDD May 20, 2014   MC Sept 26, 2013 @ 6 wks 2 days

• Options
    We have Netflix or Pandora on most of the day and LO honestly never pays any attention to it. Occasionally she will stop and watch maybe 60 seconds if I put on Timmy time or something. I don't worry about it. I was n front of the TV a lot as a kid only because my mom did daycare and some of the kids really did watch a lot of it. It was background noise to me... same as it usually is now. No problems... obesity or otherwise here..
  • Options

I let DS watch a childrens show in the morning while I get ready for work. He is fine.

I think the problem is when people plant their kids (and usually themselves) in front of TV for the majority of their time together. If everyone is sitting in front of the TV they are not really talking and interacting well enough for their child to learn the behavior.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageLalaMama81:

imageBabyNewbury2012:
    Tv is fine with me. She doesnt watch it all the time but she do love mickey mouse clubhouse! I think most things are fine in moderation. And dont have them sit too close. I have had people say to me that I shouldnt let her have any tv but the joy I see in her face when she sees that mouse on tv melts my heart everytime! :)

I don't get that argument, "but it makes her happy!" My daughter is excited if she grabs a knife from the dishwasher while I'm loading it or when she can splash in the toilet.  

If a few hours of TV is as dangerous as knives and toilet water then I think I would have a ton of issues. My family watched TV all the time when I was growing up.

They say that at two they can start watching TV in moderation without a lack of terrible side effects...I'll be interested to see how the study changes in a few years. My guess is that the age will be changed. Most likely to 3 or 4 years.

I think the point is to interact with your child and not plant them in front of the TV. Honestly I like the idea. We don't watch a ton of TV anyway and I prefer to be out and about with LO exploring. However, I am not going to be militant about a few hours of TV.

• Options

This is something DH and I really disagree on.  I am not a TV person at all.  I watch about 1 hour of tv a week.  My favorite show on Thursday nights.  That's it.  I would be perfectly fine not having a tv in the house and just watching my show on hulu.

DH is  a tv person and always has to have the tv on.  When I am home with DD by myself the tv is never on once, not even as background.  When DH is home, the tv is always on either because he is watching it or as background.  I also don't like when the tv is on at my inlaws.  They take care of DD once a week and the tv is always on the entire day because they are watching it.  I want to limit her exposure but it is hard when she is with DH or his parents.  Or even my mom said to me today, "Oh, we watched 10 minutes of sesame street this morning."  I know it's just 10 minutes but I just don't like it. 

I try not to stress about it too much since I grew up around tv and I am a perfectly intelligent adult but I just really don't like it.  There are so many more fulfilling things to do with your time than watch tv.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Haha! I love this post! Your horrible if you do and your horrible if you don't! Honestly, your raising YOUR child. I would do what YOU think is best for YOUR child.

Having said that I am a SAHM so yes we have "story time", "play time" "half an hour tv time" which is mostly Micky just because it is tv but it also teaches shapes, colors, etc. "bath time" "check the mail time" "breakfast lunch and dinner time". I think you get the picture.

If your child is in daycare I can promise tv is on. They may not necessarily be forced to sit and watch it but it is on as background noise either way.

Again, I think this is more of a personal decision. If your routine or day involves a little tv, I do not think anyone is going to say your a bad mom. If your day doesn't involve tv, I don't think anyone is going to think your a bad mother either. To each their own!
  • Options

I just wanted to add that I have the tv on for LO for about an hour when we get home. I admit that I use the TV (specifically Big Jack's Music Show on Nick Jr.) for a few minutes to get myself organized (let the dogs out, go the bathroom, heat up his bottle, etc.), but then I try to sing along with the songs while doing these tasks, and when I am done, I pick him up and we dance and sing together to the rest of the show. It feels just like another activity to add to the mix and to cheer us both up that we made it through a hectic day.

My ped said tv in moderation, certainly not as a babysitter, and if you have it on, use it as a learning tool to engage with your child. Talk to them about what's going on in the age-appropriate program; do an activity inspired by it, even if it's dancing. To me, tv is not *that* much different than listening to music...one's visual, one's based on hearing...when used in moderation, of course.  

• Options
    imageLalaMama81:

imageBabyNewbury2012:

I don't get that argument, "but it makes her happy!" My daughter is excited if she grabs a knife from the dishwasher while I'm loading it or when she can splash in the toilet.  

Did you really just equate watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse with grabbing a knife from the dishwasher and splashing water in the toilet. Get a grip people. Watching tv is not going to spoil your child. Just don't use it as way to avoid parenting or as a babysitter. DD1 watches tv, and has no delayed speech or communication.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageLalaMama81:
    imageacaudill75:
    imageLalaMama81:

imageBabyNewbury2012:

Did you really just equate watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse with grabbing a knife from the dishwasher and splashing water in the toilet. Get a grip people. Watching tv is not going to spoil your child. Just don't use it as way to avoid parenting or as a babysitter. DD1 watches tv, and has no delayed speech or communication.

Did you really not see my two clarifications? Because that is not what I meant at all.

I don't believe anyone said TV has a negative impact on communication or speech in this thread. My daughter watches no TV and doesn't talk at all, that's just a random correlation that means nothing.

No, a pp definitely said that tv under 2 correlates with language delays.
  • Options
    DH & I watch maybe two hours a week unless there is football or baseball we want to see. We haven't had cable in over a decade and TV just isn't a big part of our lives. DD sometimes pays attention to it, other times just ignores it. It's not something I really think about too much because we so rarely have it on.
  • Options
    I will say that watching too much tv HAS affected DH's ability to effectively communicate, and his ability to share the remote has all but disappeared.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagemabenner1:
    imageLalaMama81:
    imageacaudill75:
    imageLalaMama81:

imageBabyNewbury2012:

Did you really not see my two clarifications? Because that is not what I meant at all. I don't believe anyone said TV has a negative impact on communication or speech in this thread. My daughter watches no TV and doesn't talk at all, that's just a random correlation that means nothing.
    No, a pp definitely said that tv under 2 correlates with language delays.

PP didn't say she thought that tv under 2 correlates with language delays, she said that is what the American Academy of Pediatrics uses when discouraging tv under 2 years.  They are using current research to make their recommendation, and PP was just sharing that recommendation.

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Options
    imageLalaMama81:
    imageZimger:
    imageLalaMama81:

imageBabyNewbury2012:

If a few hours of TV is as dangerous as knives and toilet water then I think I would have a ton of issues. My family watched TV all the time when I was growing up.

They say that at two they can start watching TV in moderation without a lack of terrible side effects...I'll be interested to see how the study changes in a few years. My guess is that the age will be changed. Most likely to 3 or 4 years.

I think the point is to interact with your child and not plant them in front of the TV. Honestly I like the idea. We don't watch a ton of TV anyway and I prefer to be out and about with LO exploring. However, I am not going to be militant about a few hours of TV.

I just clarified the knife example - I, of course, do not believe a knife is as dangerous as watching TV, that would be stupid. I am trying to say that doing something just because it makes our kid happy isn't always a good reason.

And, in my reading, it isn't just about letting the TV babysit them instead of interacting with them. It's about how kids under 2 do not understand TV or how it works, the colors are flashy and bright, the screen skips from scent to scene w/o making sense to them. They can see the show forwards, backwards or out of order and it doesn't make a difference.

Is it going to harm them? I don't know, maybe, maybe not. Is it helping them? No, I don't think so.  

I see that you clarified it. My post was a few hours before yours so I wouldn't have been able to see that when I created my response.

I don't think the pp meant "oh it makes her happy...so I'll let her do anything she wants". Simply that she didn't let her LO watch a ton of TV but would allow a short childrens show because she noticed her child liked it. I don't see how there is anything amiss with the statement.

ETA: also, no one is stating that watching TV helps or is beneficial. It is simply a recreation. So there is no argument there.

• Options
    Wow! Loving all the responses. Thank everyone.
    Since I almost never watch TV myself, and daycare does not have a TV i guess i'll just keep doing what i am doing. Except Virginia Tech football games. DH gets DS all dressed up in his jersey and they watch the games together. I would find divorce papers if I tried to put a stop to that:
  • Options
    imageLalaMama81:

imageBabyNewbury2012:

i didn't use the argument "but it makes her happy" and comparing watching tv to grabbing a knife or splashing in the toilet is just a little silly. But hey we are all entitled to our opinions!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"