December 2013 Moms

Casual Vacancy

Anybody read it? I didn't because it got horrible reviews but at the same time I feel like I should because its Rowling. She's also supposed to be coming out with a early childhood book soon but I will definitely be getting that.

Re: Casual Vacancy

• I haven't read it yet. I'm not sure if I'm going to.  Anything I have heard or read about it is all negative.
    image Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've read it and it sucks. Seriously.

Mr. & Mrs. - Est. 10.03.2009

TTC #1 since 06.2011 Me-24 DH-24

12.2011 SA = Normal

06.2012 First visit with OB/GYN

10.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

11.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

12.2012 Clomid 100mg + TI = BFN

01.2013 First visit with RE

02.2013 Clomid 150mg + TI = BFN

03.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

05.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

06.2013 Femara 7.5mg + TI = BFN

*Taking a break*  

• Loading the player...
  • I'm the same as you quidditch. I really want to read it because it's Rowling, but I haven't heard much good about it.

• imageMochadoodle:
    I've read it and it sucks. Seriously. [/quote
    Aww that so sad, I love her. DH and I were just talking about whether or not she would write like a whole new fantasy series. But she's already achieved the most you ever can from a series so I don't know if she ever would write more books in the same genre as HP
  • I tried to read it, but I couldn't. It is pretty much third person omniscient and that drove me crazy. Plus it starts with a guy dying of an aneurysm, and as a hypochondriac with panic attacks, that freaked me out a bit. I really wanted to read it though. When I brought it back to the library, I talked to the librarian. She had also tried to read it and she couldn't get through it either. I'll definitely check out her early childhood book though! Zoe loves Harry Potter though, so I think we'll stick with those for now!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageEstwd2:

I read it and liked it. Almost all of the negative reviews I read were focused on the fact that it wasn't like Harry Potter. I already knew that, so I wasn't expecting something kid-friendly and magical.

This book is raw. She doesn't hold back, so if you're a pearl-clutcher when it comes to language and drugs and sex, you won't like it. I didn't love the plot, but I really appreciated her character development. She writes memorable characters that IMO really come to life. I also really appreciated her nuanced take on UK welfare programs.

I agree with you, word for word. I read it and loved it, but you have to go into it knowing it is NOTHING like Harry Potter.

Rowling's character development is unbelievable. The storyline (small-town politics) is not something that would interest me in a million years, but I was hooked. Absolutely, positively, worth your time. Ignore the reviews.

Also, there is a woman who becomes fascinated with a certain teen boyband star that reminds me a lot of our Directioners and always gives me a chuckle. :-)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"