Houston Babies

Multiple Miscarriages, Recommendations Please.

My husband and I just had our 2nd miscarriage on Christmas night. We have a young Dr. and I am not comfortable with her care provided. We need a Dr. who wants to find answers, not just wait till we are pregnant and have another painful loss to then eliminate possible causes. I am trying to grieve, but I am so consumed with trying to put all the events that happened in order and figure out what went wrong, what could be done differently next time, I feel like there has to be an experienced Dr. out there who wants to figure it out with me, I just have no idea where to look.  

Re: Multiple Miscarriages, Recommendations Please.

• I'm sorry for your losses, I know how difficult it is. Prob not what you want hear but the standard practice is to wait for 3 miscarriages before testing for problems.

I had 4 in a row when trying for 2. After the third, a ton of testing was done and we found out I have a really rare chromosomal abnormality. It results in me having a 50/50 chance each time I get pg. We got lucky the fifth time and I now have a two month old :

Miscarriages are actually quite common especially since pregnancy is detected so soon these days.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear read. Try again and your next will either work out or you'll get the investigation you are looking for. Good luck!
  • I am so sorry.  I had three losses before my twins.  Our work up really came up with nothing and that's the case for 60-70% of all couples with recurrent pregnancy loss.  For my 4th pregnancy, I did progesterone, baby aspirin, took extra folic acid, prayed like there is no tomorrow and by the grace of God I kept my twins (despite a huge scary bleeding episode at 7 weeks amongst other issues).

Any REI doctor (infertility doctor) or really any good ob/gyn can perform a recurrent pregnancy loss work up for you.

These are the causes of recurrent loss (which is now defined as 2 consecutive losses).

https://www.asrm.org/uploadedFiles/ASRM_Content/Resources/Patient_Resources/Fact_Sheets_and_Info_Booklets/recurrent_preg_loss.pdf

Big big hugs and I am really sorry.

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • Loading the player...
  • My Ob for my pregnancy was Dr. Lesley (or Leslie) Davis.  I recommend her.

If you are looking for a reproductive endocronologist (they deal with infertility issues), I would recommend Houston Fertility Institute.  I did not use them, but have heard good things about them - especially Dr. Griffith (or it may be Griffin). 

I used Houston IVF and Dr. Hickman.  While I liked Dr. Hickman himself, I overall cannot recommend the place because I almost never had any interactions with the doctor himself--it was all through incompetent nurses who truly did NOT have a clue.  Also, they have caused me a great deal of grief (and expense and time) over medical/insurance issues and have refused to help me resolve it or appeal it with the insurance company...basically, they told me unequivocally that certain testing was covered by my insurance and over a year later I have gotten thousands (yes, THOUSANDS) of dollars of bills for testing.  A simple letter from the doctor would clear up alot of my insurance problems, but I can't even get that.

IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • I use Shelley Leeds-Richter at OGA in the Medical Center. She specializes in infertility (not to say you're infertile). You may want to check her out. https://www.ogamedicalcenter.com/shelly-leeds-richter.html Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"