August 2013 Moms
Options

Anyone with HR/FMLA experience? Question about vacation time.

So, anyone have previous experience with FMLA and vacation time? I'd planned on using whatever vacation time I have left before my short-term disability kicks in(company requires 7 days), then STD pays 60%. I will be out almost all of August so that will be covered, September will be unpaid. I just realized my PTO rolls over on September 22, so that will be another 148 hours of paid time(I do not intend to go back after leave, but I'd prefer work not know this until during my leave. Anyone have any clue how this will work? Will they require me to come back in before I can use that PTO, or will I likely be able to use it during leave if I say I'll just take any additional days after that unpaid?
Due with #5 April 22, 2015. It's a girl!!!!! 

Yes it was planned, yes we know what causes that, no we are not on public assistance, and yes we will be getting cable after this. ;)

Re: Anyone with HR/FMLA experience? Question about vacation time.

• Options

My experience was this- 2 weeks paid disability prior to baby's arrival, 8 weeks paid after (due to C/S).  FMLA I chose to take all at once, and that was 6 weeks.  Then, I was unpaid.  BUT, I cashed out 2 weeks of vacation, so I was never out money.  I was off work from October 1st, through January 24th.

My company prefers that you use your vacation, but don't require it.

I plan to take 4 weeks before due date this time, but expect everything else to be about similar.  Since I'm due at the end of the month, being off AFTER birth for 4 months isn't out of the question (go back in January).  I don't plan to go back after leave either, except for maybe a  week to keep health benefits that month.  Then, I'll have around 2+ months of vacation pay to call upon.  My employer also won't know I don't plan to come back until January 2014.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    In Alabama, FMLA will protect you as well as your job for a maximum of 12 weeks. Most company's have a maternity leave policy. This amount of time included under the maternity leave policy is typically 100 paid, if not mostly paid and also considered FMLA as opposed to Short Term Disability. I plan to use all 5 weeks of maternity leave and also two weeks of paid time off PTO if I have this time remaining after the baby is born. If you qualify for Short Term Disability, your job may be covered up to 12 months, although your medical condition must meet all requirements for Short Term Disability and your company must also offer this plan. I hope that this information was of some help to you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That's crappy that you plan to leave them high and dry. That's one reason why the US has essentially zero maternity leave coverage. Just know your company may require you pay back the insurance while you are out.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options

imagemagdalina.h:
    That's crappy that you plan to leave them high and dry. That's one reason why the US has essentially zero maternity leave coverage. Just know your company may require you pay back the insurance while you are out.

I'm pretty positive that you need to return to work for a certain number of weeks after you take maternity leave or else you are required to pay your employer back for the paid time off.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    If your PTO is given in September for a long period of time and you leave before that period of time is up, you may need to pay your company back for the time you used but hadn't earned yet. For example, I get 22 days of vacation on July 1 that lasts until June 30. If I use all of those days up and quit my job n December, I would need to pay back 11 days worth of vacation time because I didn't fully earn it yet.
    Team Green to Team Pink! Baby A born 8.12.13
  • Options

This applies as long as you don't work in CA (California has it's own crazy set of employment law that I am not familiar with): the FMLA does not mandate how an employee is paid while out on FML, it is up to the discretion of each employer.  You will need to check your company policy regarding how your PTO will be distributed.

Also, a PP was right that the company can require you to pay back some (or all) or your medical expenses if you do not return from leave.  Your best course of action is probably to return and give your 2 week notice.

Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagembf124:

imagemagdalina.h:

I'm pretty positive that you need to return to work for a certain number of weeks after you take maternity leave or else you are required to pay your employer back for the paid time off.  

All of this, it does depend on your companies policy, but most of them safeguard by putting if you don't return after leave you must pay back X amount of the time you took.

A better way to do this would be to let them know you are leaving.  At our company they will pay out your vacation time (but not sick days) on your departure (pending you weren't  fired, then you get nothing).  But this is company policy, not a nationwide standard.

Just to reiterate, this is a really shitty thing to do.

ETA- when I was on my last leave I only accrued PTO while I was on paid leave, as soon as that was up I stopped accruing until I come back, I'd assume that you have to be working to get your new set of vacation hours.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Options
    Oh, and yes, I had to pay my health benefits back, when I came back. Wrote a check for about 500, which was a kick in the pants after seeing and paying my 4k portion of our bills, but i wanted to make sure i did everything right. But there was no payment needed for vacation time since I didn't rely on that at all, except for my initial cash out of already accrued hours. I wont accrue more hours on leave cause you're not technically working. I'm keeping my hours as close to the max as I can. I've got something like 290 hours right now, and our max is 320. When I go back I'll have some time to tidy things up and transition. I think after 9 years, it's probably my time to leave. Of course, this is my plan, but who knows if it actually will work or make sense at the time. Its still a year out...

• Options

I work in HR and my only reccomendation is that every employer is different as well as state laws that can play into this on top of federal ones.

You should really go speak to your HR person and ask them what the company policies are. bring up that you have not decided yet what your plans are, but would like to know what would happen if you did stay home after your leave, etc. They can not discriminate against you for asking general questions so you know all your options.

Mommy to J: Born 5/11/2010 & B: Born 8/26/2013

• Options
    I used my PTO and PIH to supplement SDI so I still received 100 pay. I was able to do this for the full 12 weeks to the day. I hadn't planned on that it just worked out well. My husband lost his job right after baby was born so we couldn't really afford me to be out with less pay.

• Options

Your question could have a variety of answers depending on company policy as well as state laws.

I will say I think it's crap that you have no intention of returning and you're lying to your employer.  It makes the rest of us look bad, and perpetuates negative stereotypes about pregnant women and working mothers.  But good luck to you.   

Natural m/c 8/31/12 at 11 wks BFP #2 - Due August 16!
  • Options
    all of this!
    IUI#1= DD born 1.5.2011
    IUI #4 BFP EDD 5.5.2012 m/c 10/1/2012
    Surprise! BFP 12/4/12 EDD 8/8/2012
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

at my current company and all companies I've worked at, my PTO was on hold while you are out on STD.  We accrue vacation, we don't get it in a lump sum, so say i get 3.35 hours for every week I work, well for those weeks I am out on STD, I don't accrue that vacation time anymore- it stops.  It doesn't start again until i return to work, so I wonder if that could be the case for you.  I've never had anywhere that still accrued or gave you vacation while you were out on leave. 

Of course i had to use the 7 days (if i had it) of sick or vacation time first before STD kicked in, after that, i was paid 60% but no longer was getting vacation benefits/accruing time off.   Same with holidays, if you are off on STD during a paid holiday, you don't get paid for it.  the vacation thing has worked the same way for me on STD.  You aren't working, so you aren't earning any.  You might check, your "rollover" or new allotment of vacation time might not happen until you are back at work. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Michelle- 39, DH 41 Mom to 5yo boy (IVF) Latest pregnancy- IVF #1- ER- 11/30 ET- 3 day, 12/3- 3 8 cell embies Beta- 14dpo- 488 Beta- 18dpo- 2500 7 week U/S 1/4- TWINS! EDD 8/21/13
  • Options

Oh and you might just check into the rules on the PTO- i am guessing you will have a fight on your hands to get that if you are in fact going to quit after only going back for a short time.  But it is worth a try- but wouldn't count on it.

my first pregnancy, i took my STD and returned to work the week before Christmas.  Our company (defense co.) closed for 2 weeks at Christmas every year (paid) to overhaul the manufacturing line.  I worked in a professional capacity in marketing, but everyone got this benefit.  So I returned a week before- worked for 3 days and then was eligible to get those two weeks off paid, since I had returned to full time duty.  Now, not sure they would have paid me 148 hours of PTO if I had returned for a week and then left.  But i guess it depends on the fine print in your HR docs too.   Here, they overcome someone taking advantage of that now by accruing your vacation- you don't get it in a lump sum, you earn a little each week you work.  bummer- i know! lol

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Michelle- 39, DH 41 Mom to 5yo boy (IVF) Latest pregnancy- IVF #1- ER- 11/30 ET- 3 day, 12/3- 3 8 cell embies Beta- 14dpo- 488 Beta- 18dpo- 2500 7 week U/S 1/4- TWINS! EDD 8/21/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"