Baby Showers

What to get someone without a registry

What is the best/most needed item to give to my DH cousin at her baby shower Sunday? She is having a baby girl and it is her first child so she has nothing, but she didn't register for gifts anywhere. I don't have children of my own so I'm not sure which items are mom tested and approved. Any ideas? I wan't to get her something she can use alot and for a long time.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: What to get someone without a registry

• This is a little tricky since different moms and babies like different things.  I would maybe make a basket of hooded towels, wash cloths, bath toys, and bath products and give a gift receipt.  Even if she already has some of these items, they're the type of thing you always need more of.  We're still using baby towels and wash clothes and my son is 2.
    BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image1026pumpkin:
    This is a little tricky since different moms and babies like different things.  I would maybe make a basket of hooded towels, wash cloths, bath toys, and bath products and give a gift receipt.  Even if she already has some of these items, they're the type of thing you always need more of.  We're still using baby towels and wash clothes and my son is 2.

Thanks, this is very helpful! 

• Loading the player...
  • That's really hard since you don't know what anyone else is getting her. As far as whats legit needed: diapers, some onesies, baby hats or booties (depending on the season) and bottles. If a person has a car then a carseat also. 
    photo ttgl_zps49ec0de7.jpg
  • I love the A&A blankets that I got.
  • I like the wash cloth/hooded towel idea.  Maybe do some baby shampoo and body lotion and a cute bath toy.  I love themed gifts!

Board books make great gifts as well!  And you can never go wrong with a super soft blanket.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • In my experience with baby showers without registries, diapers are a big hit. "Boring," sure, but they'll need them and be grateful for them. Diapers can be expensive and costs for them alone add up over time.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Onesies size 6 mos and larger, burp cloths, diapers in size 1 and 2, a couple of receiving blankets, bibs, and/or supplies (Desitine, baby wash, baby lotion).  If you want to go bigger:  jumperoo or similar, high chair, carseat, monitor, humidifier, PNP, etc.

One gift we got that ALL of my kids loved was the "Heartbeat Bear".  Not that they needed it for the heartbeat aspect but it is sort of a "white noise" machine but only lasts 20 minutes.  I use it even for a 2 year old when he naps and at bedtime.  They never slept with it...it was always on the shelf...but it helps drown out other "household" noises.

You can always try calling the MTB or hostess and I would give her a price range so she can give you good ideas based on that.

• I like the bath towel idea but just keep in mind it is a popular gift. DS is 2 and I am still using baby shampoo that I got from his shower. Diapers are awesome but don`t get newborn, she will probably get a bunch. If you knit or know someone who does, you could give her a nice baby blanket.

No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.

• Gonna echo PP here. Diapers, wipes, bath products...pretty much anything consumable will be very valuable. Also along with PP suggestions, onesies for 6 months plus, as most people will want to purchase newborn size clothes (they're just so darn cute at that size!), and baby will only be in them for a little while (I've heard many FTMs mention that they got so many newborn onesies that their LO did not get a chance to wear them all before they got too big for them!), so it would be nice to have a few varying sizes. Another suggestion- and this totally depends on your time and energy constraints- if you cannot think of a material gift, you can always give some kind of voucher in which you offer to do something nice for her after LO is born- come over and make dinner, clean the house, baby-sit for an afternoon so she can catch a nap or just catch some alone time, etc.

• imagechapternext:
    In my experience with baby showers without registries, diapers are a big hit. "Boring," sure, but they'll need them and be grateful for them. Diapers can be expensive and costs for them alone add up over time.

This is exactly what I was going to say. Diapers are an absolute necessity, but it can be a "boring" gift to buy. If you want to get her something "interesting" I got "cupcake onesies" from a coworker. She put onesies and socks into the shape of cupcakes. The presentation was really nice and she found a video on YouTube on how to make them. For my work shower, I got lots of clothes. Babies can always use some sleepers (the footie PJs). Those come in very handy. A grooming kit is a nice gift or a baby bath tub. You can always include a gift receipt with whatever you give her, in case it is not something she would end up using, but the grooming kit and bath tub are pretty practical IMO.

• imageMrsNorry:
    I love the A&A blankets that I got.

This times 1,000,000,000

They are at Target and are called A&A Swaddle blankets. 2 years later, we still use them as a lightweight summer blanket in the crib.  

• Wow! Thanks for the ideas! So many things I hadn't thought of. My trip to the baby store will be much easier now! =D
  • I have a whole list of for baby shower gifts or things to register here. Maybe it can give you some ideas? 

https://balletandbaseball.com/favorite-posts/baby-registry/

When all else fails, in my experience you can never have too many crib sheets, burp cloths, diapers or wipes.

-----------------------------
    Penelope Lynn 5.8.2009
    Harrison Peter 4.10.2012

Check out the blog at balletandbaseball.com
    click for toddler hilarity
  • Bigger sized clothing.

Consider baby toys (I usually go with the more "classical" toys that don't make too much noises. I like the ones found in the usual Fisher Price toy aisles and not the typical baby aisles)

Pack of onesies is really good. You can usually find 4 or 6 in a set and sometimes they come with different colors or patterns. Sometimes they do say stuff like "daddy" so if the dad isn't around, I'd try to avoid that.

Sleep gowns for the infant to swear.

Swaddle blankets. 

Thermometer for infants

Baby monitor

A sturdy diaper bag

• I didn't register and got a ton of hooded towels and washcloths and blankets, so I would honestly steer clear of that.

How much are you looking to spend? I would do a Sophie teether with a holder from www.tutimnyc.com and a symphony sun from www.geniusbaby.com, they are my daughters favorite things. Or, if you know the name, I love the My Very Own Name books from www.iseeme.com.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• If you want to spend a little more, the cashmere blanket, hat and bootie set from www.bonniebaby.uk is fantastic, we still use it. Fattamano also makes a great stroller blanket and booties.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• CDs from Rockabye Baby and a Kaloo nightlight.

• Choosing a gift from baby registry is somewhere an easy and stress thing to do. As the need of the baby and mom is different from person to person. But if I have such condition in front of me then I will also go for baby clothes, bath stuffs and baby towel. We can also give carry cot , or a beautiful  set of bed sheet pillow and blanket for the baby. I always like receiving such things and I hope others also.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"